Rockies' Rock Too Heavy for Cubs to Lift
Rockies 2021 2nd round draft pick LHSP Joe Rock hurled four innings of no-run / one-hit ball, Rockies 2021 10th round pick Zach Kokoska belted an RBI triple and an RBI single and scored a run, and Rockies 2021 6th round pick Braxton Fulford laced a single and and an RBI double and scored a run, helping the Rockies defeat the Cubs 7-3 in AZ Instructional League game action Wednesday afternoon on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Felix Stevens clubbed a moonshot HR high over the LF fence and Luis Verdugo drilled a two-run single to account for the three Cub runs.
Felix Stevens and James Triantos are now tied for the AZIL Cubs lead in HR with two a piece. Matt Mervis and Ezequiel Pagan have each hit one (the AZIL Cubs as a team have hit six HR in 15 AZIL games), and Miguel Fabrizio hit a HR in the only "Blue - Red" intrasquad game played so far.
With two RBI today, Luis Verdugo now leads the AZIL Cubs in RBI with five (Brayan Altuve, Ronnier Quintero, and Reggie Preciado are tied for second in RBI with three a piece).
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. James Triantos Jr, 3B: 1-4 (F-9, 1B, L-8, 5-4 FC)
2. Malcom Quintero, C: 0-4 (K, L-7 DP, P-4, K)
3. Christian Franklin, LF: 0-3 (K, 2-3, K, BB)
4. Christian Olivo, SS: 0-2 (BB, BB, 5-3, K, R)
5. Matt Mervis, 1B: 1-3 (4-6 FC, 2B, K, R)
6. Luis Verdugo, DH #1: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, 1-3, 2 RBI)
7, Bryce Ball, DH #2: 0-3 (4-3, P-5, 3-U)
8. Felix Stevens, RF: 1-3 (5-3, 4-3, HR, R, RBI)
9. Bryan Serra, 2B: 0-3 (K, 3-U, K)
10. Brayan Altuve, CF: 0-2 (F-9, K, BB)
1. Koen Moreno: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (12 strikes)
2. Bailey Horn: 2.0-IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/4 GO/AO, 26 pitches (16 strikes)
3. Nicholas Padilla: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 20 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Sheldon Reed: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 PO, 0/3 GO/AO, 33 pitches (18 strikes)
5. Angel Gonzalez-Martinez: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 2/2 GO/AO, 37 pitches (22 strikes)
6. Yovanny Cabrera: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 23 pitches (13 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. C Malcom Quintero: E-2 (errant throw to 3rd base on SB attempt allowed runner to score)
2. SS Christian Olivo: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Malcom Quintero: 0-5 CS, 1 PB, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 70's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
CubsCentral08 21 hours 6 min ago (view)
List is up to 12 now
Adan Sanchez, C/3B, Panama
Alexis Hernandez, SS, Dominican Republic
Jefferson Rojas, SS, Dominican Republic
Josefrailyn Alcantata, OF, Dominican Republic
Carlos Altuve, C, Venezuela
Josias Ramirez, OF, Dominican Republic
Moises Febrillet, SS, Dominican Republic
Albertina Belliard, OF, Dominican Republic
Yidel Diaz, C, Dominican Republic
Freylin Silverio, RHP, Dominican Republic
Sandy Sanchez, SS, Dominican Republic
Darlin de Leon, SS, Dominican Republic
Wrigley Rat 22 hours 14 min ago (view)
In addition to those signed today, it's worth noting that seven players were signed to future-service contracts during the last international free agent signing period, and are expected to make their system-debut this coming season (most likely in the Dominican Republic). Those players are:
- RHP - Luis Angel Reyes
- LHP - Kevin Valdez
- RHP - Jensi Ramirez
- RHP - Yafrerlyn Vasquez
- RHP - Eligio Paredes
- RHP - Jair Jimenez
- OF - Edward Vargas
Wrigley Rat 22 hours 14 min ago (view)
The Cubs added four more International Free Agents so far today:
- Josias Ramirez, OF, Dominican Republic
- Moises Febrillet, SS, Dominican Republic
- Albertina Belliard, OF, Dominican Republic
- Yidel Diaz, C, Dominican Republic
Wrigley Rat 22 hours 16 min ago (view)
Sneak peak into the International Free Agent Signings that officially start tomorrow (Saturday):
Chicago Cubs ($5,179,700 total bonus pool) - 5 Signings (so far):
- Adan Sanchez, C/3B, Panama ($1,500,000 bonus)
- Alexis Hernandez, SS, Dominican Republic ($1,300,000 bonus)
- Jefferson Rojas, SS, Dominican Republic ($1,000,000 bonus)
- Josefrailyn Alcantata, OF, Dominican Republic
- Carlos Altuve, C, Venezuela
crunch 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
wsox snagging cuban oscar colas...23 year old high end power prospect that could slot into the majors quickly.
they're building a hell of a batting core on the south side of town.
Cubster 4 days 6 hours ago (view)
Jon Lester retires. Definitely one of the key people in their Theo era run.
crunch 4 days 18 hours ago (view)
meeting on thursday. hopefully this stuff can get done before going too deep into february.
crunch 6 days 18 hours ago (view)
yanks low-A naming rachel balkovec as manager. first female manager in the minors.
she was also the first female strength/conditioning coach and hitting coach in rookie leagues for the yanks.
crunch 1 week 1 day ago (view)
"Evan Drellich of The Athletic reports that Major League Baseball is preparing new economic proposals to present to the MLBPA, "likely this month.""
tim815 1 week 3 days ago (view)
As best as I understand, there are the 4 full-season levels with only one affiliate per organization at each level, and the compound league. Toss in the DSL, and that's it. If a team wants and can accommodate a second (or third) Compound League team, that's a decision for "later than January".
Wrigley Rat 1 week 5 days ago (view)
AZ Phil or others - Are major league teams allowed to announce new minor league affiliates for 2022 during this lockout? I ask because there was some discussion about possibly adding a short season league team for next year. Are clubs even allowed to have a 5th non-rookie league team? With all the players jammed up at the A level, it seems like it would be smart to add an additional team for them and this year's incoming draft picks. Of course, they could always just keep two Arizona teams going and it would probably be just fine. Just wondering - thanks and Happy New Year!
crunch 1 week 5 days ago (view)
cameron maybin is retiring, which saves the cubs from once again obtaining or attempting to obtain cameron maybin.
2022 looking good so far.
Cubster 2 weeks 1 day ago (view)
Welcome to 2022.
First news of the year: The Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks have reached a deal with Tyler Chatwalk! Hope they have a bigger strike zone there.
Cubster 2 weeks 2 days ago (view)
Thanks Phil. Great reply as always. Have a happy and healthy New Year (everyone, but especially AZ Phil)!
Arizona Phil 2 weeks 2 days ago (view)
Kyle Seager is a post-2021 Article XX-B free-agent who is not under the control of an MLB club, so his announcing his retirement is no different than announcing he and his family are going out to dinner tomorrow night or taking a trip to Hawaii next month.
The only time a player "files for retirement" and is placed on a club's Voluntary Retired List is if he is signed, or unsigned but under the control of a club.
crunch 2 weeks 2 days ago (view)
retirement in MLB is an official paperwork process so it might be a frozen issue for filing. technically there is still work being done like business worked on but not completed before the lockout, as well as other business both sides agree isn't an issue. dunno if they're processing retirement paperwork.
seager hit 35 homers last year and could, at the very least, platoon with someone while still earning decent loot.
that said, he's in his mid-30s and made 100m at his job. plus, covid-era baseball just isn't fun even if you toss the health issues aside.