Let's Play Two!
Bryan Hudson and two relievers combined to toss a five-hit shutout as Team Banks whitewashed Team Santo 1-0 in Cubs AZ Instructional League intrasquad game action Friday morning on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The game was called after 4-1/2 innings of play so that players could catch flights at Sky Harbor Airport (2016 Instructs concluded today).
Here is the box score from the game:
TEAM SANTO LINEUP:
1. Donnie Dewees, CF: 1-3 (K, 2B, F-7)
2. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 1-3 (1B, F-7)
3. Connor Myers, LF: 1-2 (K, 1B)
4. P. J. Higgins, C: 1-2 (6-3, 1B)
5. Michael Cruz, DH #1: 0-1 (BB, P-6)
6. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
7. Jonathan Sierra, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
8. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 0-2 (F-8, 6-3)
9. Yonathan Perlaza, 3B: 0-1 (K, BB)
10. Luis Diaz, DH #2: 1-2 (P-4, 1B, SB)
TEAM BANKS LINEUP:
1. Aramis Ademan, SS: 1-1 (1B, BB)
2. Chris Pieters, CF: 0-0 (1-3 SH, BB, CS)
3. Eddy Julio Martinez, LF: 1-2 (L-7, 2B, CS)
4. Ian Rice, 1B: 1-2 (K, 1B)
5. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 0-2 (3-1, 5-4-3 DP)
6. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-1 (4-3)
7. Gustavo Polanco, DH #1: 0-1 (6-3)
8. Kwang-Min Kwon, RF: 0-1 (K)
9. Rafael Narea, 2B: 0-0 (BB, R)
10. Fernando Kelli, DH #2: 0-1 (6-3)
TEAM SANTO PITCHERS:
1. Alfredo Colorado: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 4/1 GO/AO, 25pitches (16 strikes)
2. Eury Ramos: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 2/0 GO/AO, 28 pitches (11 strikes)
TEAM BANKS PITCHERS:
1. Bryan Hudson: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1/1GO/AO, 31 pitches (21 strikes)
2. Faustino Carrera: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/3 GO/AO, 24 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Hector Garcia: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 24 pitches (15 strikes)
TEAM SANTO ERRORS: 1
3B Yonathan Perlaza: E-5 (dropped pop foul fly extending batter's AB)
TEAM BANKS ERRORS: 1
P Eury Ramos: E-1 (errant pick-off throw at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd - runner then thrown out 3-5 attempting to take 3rd)
TEAM SANTO CATCHERS DEFENSE:
P. J. Higgins: 2-2 CS
TEAM BANKS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alberto Mineo: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
Jackstraw 2 hours 53 min ago (view)
Thanks, AZ Phil
Craig A. 7 hours 38 min ago (view)
If the cardinals loose and the giants win, the cardinals will have to play and win on Monday to make the playoffs.
crunch 10 hours 5 min ago (view)
...and dodger stadium loses power.
Charlie 11 hours 13 min ago (view)
Game 2 somewhat less fun than game 1.
crunch 12 hours 24 min ago (view)
lester goes out with a whimper...7 runs given up in his last start
5.16era/1.33whip on the year.
Arizona Phil 12 hours 25 min ago (view)
JACKSTRAW: The Cardinals & Tigers will only play the first game of Monday's doubleheader (and it will be a seven-inning game) if what needs to be determined is determined by the result of the first game (the second game will be canceled), but they won't play the games at all (and the Cardinals won't go to Detroit) if everything that is affected by the two missing STL games is settled and resolved by end of MLB play on Sunday.
crunch 13 hours 46 min ago (view)
crunch 15 hours 40 min ago (view)
happ / rizzo / contreras / heyward / bryant / schwarber / baez / kipnis / caratini(DH)
bryant's back, and at 3rd. neat.
Jackstraw 17 hours 25 min ago (view)
I don't know if the math works out but (at least to me) it raises the possibility that they would play one game on Monday and if that decided what was left that they'd skip game 2.
Arizona Phil 21 hours 53 min ago (view)
The Cardinals have to play the doubleheader on Monday at Detroit if either the games impact who or who does not get into the playoffs, or if the games will determine whether the Cards or Cubs finish 1st in the division and get home field advantage in the Wild Card series.
Charlie 23 hours 6 min ago (view)
Maybe he should stick with it for a while.
Hagsag 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
Cardinals have two games left with Detroit, not the Cubs.
blockhead25 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
Ahh, 2 games against the Tigers, but seems to imply they'd only play those games if it will impact which teams make the playoffs. If the Cardinals win their last 2, I don't believe the other games could impact which Team makes it. Why would Detroit have any incentive to win those games? Well, hope the Cubs won one of the next 2 so it doesn't matter.
crunch 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
yeah, it may be another team. i just know they have a possible monday double header...unless i got that wrong, too.
blockhead25 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
Cubs? We played the cards the full 10 slate?
if Cards make playoffs, I would think they'd want nothing to do with having to play a double header Monday to improve playoff seeding.
crunch 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
the cubs may or may not have to play a doubleheader vs STL on monday depending on the next game or 2...i think