Skulina with Five Strong Frames at Riverview

Natanael Delgado (Angels) drilled a lead-off double, Charcer Burks (Cubs) ripped an RBI single, and Andrew Daniel (Angels) clubbed a two-run home run to highlight a three-run 2nd, and RHSP Tyler Skulina (Cubs) tossed five innings of one-run ball, leading the Angels/Cubs co-op squad to a 4-1 victory over the Diamondbacks in AZ Advanced Instructional League game action this afternoon on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Here is the box score from today's game (Cubs players highlighted in bold and underlined

DIAMONDBACKS LINEUP:
1. Colin Bray, CF: 1-4 (3-U, 1B, L-9, 4-3)
2. Domingo Leyba, 2B: 2-4 (3-1, L-6, 1B, 1B)
3. Zach Nehrir, LF: 0-4 (5-3, P-3, 6-4-3 DP, 6-3)
4. Austin Byler, 1B: 1-4 (4-3, 1B, K, F-7)
5a. Dawel Lugo, 3B: 0-2 (F-7, F-9)
5b. Henry Castillo, 3B: 1-2 (2B, F-7)
6. Stryker Trahan, RF: 0-2 (K, BB, L-4 DP)
7. Grant Heyman, DH: 1-3 (2B, K, K, R)
8a. Jose Herrera, C: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
8b. Tyler Baker, C: 0-1 (K)
9. Sergio Alcantara, SS: 2-3 (1B, F-7, 2B, RBI, SB, CS)

ANGELS/CUBS LINEUP:
1. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-4 (K, K, 3-1, P-5)
2. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 1-3 (BB, 4-3, K, 1B, R, SB)
3. Victor Caratini, C: 0-4 (3-6-1 DP, K, 6-3, 4-3)
4. Natanael Delgado, DH: 2-4 (2B, 1B, K, K, R)
5. Wade Wass, 1B: 1-4 (5-3, 1-3, 1-3, 1B)
6. Charcer Burks, CF 1-4 (1B, P-4, 5-3, F-8, R, RBI)
7. Andrew Daniel, 3B: 2-3 (HR, 1B, 5-3, R, 2 RBI)
8. Kody Eaves, SS: 0-3 (F-8, F-9, F-8)
9. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 2-3 (1B, 1B, P-4, SB)

DIAMONDBACKS PITCHERS:
1. Justin Donatella: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 2/1 GO/AO, 38 pitches (23 strikes)
2. Luis Madero: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 3/2GO/AO, 32 pitches (19 strikes)
3. Junior Garcia: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 4/0 GO/AO, 20 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Jeferson Mejia: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/3 GO/AO, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Dallas Newton: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 16 pitches (9 strikes)

ANGELS/CUBS PITCHERS:
1. Tyler Skulina: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 5/6 GO/AO, 65 pitches (43 strikes)
2. Jordan Minch: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 22 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Matt Brazis: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 9 pitches (5 strikes)
4. Steve Perakslis: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)

DIAMONDBACKS ERRORS: NONE

ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: NONE

DIAMONDBACKS CATCHERS DEFENSE
1. Jose Herrera: 0-1 CS
2. Tyler Baker: 0-1 CS

ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE
Victor Caratini: 1-2 CS

ANGELS/CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS
CF Charcer Burks - batter (Sergio Alcantara) thrown out 8-6-5 attempting to stretch double into triple

WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 90's

ATTENDANCE: 14

Comments

Today is the last day for Article XIX-A and Article XX-D minor leaguers to elect free-agency, and so RHP Brian Schlitter and OF Mike Baxter (the last two Cubs Article XX-D eligibles) have in fact elected free-agency.

LHP James Russell (the lone Cubs Article XIX-A minor league player) elected free-agency the first day he could file (the day after the conclusion of the MLB regular season), and C Taylor Teagarden (the third Article XX-D guy)  was added to the Cubs MLB 40-man roster last Sunday to keep him from electing free-agency (thus keeping him available as injury replacement insurance during the post-season in the event two Cubs catchers go down with injuries.

oh no, not brian schlitter...2016 is gonna be his year, i know it. hope the cubs can get past this loss.

Just another teaching moment for our young heroes. Losing Schlitter may be tough, but it will make them stronger.

Tears are streaming down my face. I will have to get over it. Thanks alot AZ PHIL!

So, the Mets? If they were to make it through the Cubs, I would really be sick.

the mets it is... battle of the formerly-known-as-losers clubs.

Gonna be some cold games in NY -- Jorge, bundle up!

Isn't Jorge hitting about .000 in cold weather? I hope there's an unseasonal blast of warm air in NYC.

Where did the Mets' best hitter come from?

A different part of Cuba than Jorge

The cold part?

ice cuba?

If this is really to be the year of curse-killing, of course it must be the Mets. Let's win this one for #10.

m.harvey gets game 1 for the mets (syndergaard pitched in relief tonight).

Rizzo imitates Bautista's recently famous bat-flip... http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2015/10/15/154571166...

Tim Wilken gone to AZ The man who gave us Brett Jackson, Josh vitters and Hayden Simpson will work that magic for larussa and sabermatecian Dave Stewart

Doing a lot of reading and thinking about this series. I just have one request of the Cubs. Win the series 4-0 by an average score of 10-2 each game. My heart and stomach would be quite appreciative.

Amen

As long as we get our 10 before they get their 2, I'm OK with this proposal. Not sure I can handle any more comeback wins.

• Wrigley Rat 14 hours 35 min ago (view)

This site is great! It's pretty much the only Cubs site I visit daily, other than a Google search for Cubs news. 90% of the information I get on Cubs prospects is from here. Commenters are usually very respectful and it seems that most are well-informed or want to be. I'm hoping the site can continue. Thanks to everyone who contributes to its content! :)

• George Altman 16 hours 26 min ago (view)

I'd like to add, without meaning to take a superior attitude, that ALL the content and commentators on TCR are a step above every other Cubs Blog I've seen. I'm better informed, better briefed about not only what's happening but what's likely to happen.

You all have made me a better Cubs fan. Whatever happens,  thank you.

• Charlie 20 hours 43 min ago (view)

I will be happy to continue to do gameday posts for another season and would like to keep the site active. Thanks for your labor!

Sorry for all the delayed and abbreviated posts at season's end, by the way.

• fullykräusened 22 hours 1 min ago (view)

Like the other posters, I don't post often, but have enjoyed Arizona Phil and crunch (who was right about Jason Heyward :) ). I am grateful for all the work that has gone into maintaining the site, and whatever you want to do to make it work is okay with me!

• Cubster 1 day 2 hours ago (view)

Chiming in that TCR is still a major part of my daily Cub routine and has always been my browser homepage. The site contains much love for AZ Phil and his subtle sense of humor as the war correspondent for the Arizona Scoring Service.

"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"

• Hagsag 1 day 4 hours ago (view)

Thank you forTCR, and it is the first site I check daily. Please keep it going.

• Karl Pagel Blues 1 day 7 hours ago (view)

Thank you for this site. It's the first one I turn to every single day. There may be other sites with more daily content, but there's only one TCR. Again, a big thank you to everyone actively contributing here!

• crunch 1 day 12 hours ago (view)

no matter the future, i've learned a whole lot being here and i'm still learning.  phil's post earlier with the end-season instructs stats is a great example of this.  lots of love for the team, the farm system, and the game here.

also, it looks like dusty's crew is 3 outs away from going to the WS with 5 runs to cushion.

• George Altman 1 day 13 hours ago (view)

Please keep it going if at all possible. No other Cubs website compares. I've spent 15 years with AZ Phil, Crunch, Cubster. Don't want to see that end.

• Alexander Dimm 1 day 16 hours ago (view)

Like the others, I don't post often, and it's not the only Cubs baseball site I read.  However, it is the first site I read each day and if I only read one, this is it.  I hope you can hang in there.

Cubs baseball will be a little less fun without TCR.

• Childersb3 1 day 16 hours ago (view)

I've been reading, commenting and asking questions here for over a decade now. Cubdom wouldn't be whole without TCR.

Hope it stays in any form possible.

Whatever is most manageable, cheapest, time efficient manner you.

• bradsbeard 1 day 17 hours ago (view)

Absolutely want to see if stay if possible.

• Sonicwind75 1 day 19 hours ago (view)

Thank you for hosting and maintaining the site.  I don't post often but have been visiting since mid 2000s.  Really appreciate the information and community of The Cub Reporter.  I understand it can be a lot of work to maintain a site but would really hate to see it end.

• Hagsag 2 days 5 hours ago (view)

Thank you Phil, I can see this is a work of love.

• Wrigley Rat 2 days 20 hours ago (view)

Cubs Reportedly Sign Powerful Infielder Alejandro Rivero Out of Indy Ball: https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2021/10/21/cubs-reportedly-sign-powe...

• crunch 3 days 16 hours ago (view)

* except for playing 1st base