Skulina with Five Strong Frames at Riverview
Natanael Delgado (Angels) drilled a lead-off double, Charcer Burks (Cubs) ripped an RBI single, and Andrew Daniel (Angels) clubbed a two-run home run to highlight a three-run 2nd, and RHSP Tyler Skulina (Cubs) tossed five innings of one-run ball, leading the Angels/Cubs co-op squad to a 4-1 victory over the Diamondbacks in AZ Advanced Instructional League game action this afternoon on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Here is the box score from today's game (Cubs players highlighted in bold and underlined)
1. Colin Bray, CF: 1-4 (3-U, 1B, L-9, 4-3)
2. Domingo Leyba, 2B: 2-4 (3-1, L-6, 1B, 1B)
3. Zach Nehrir, LF: 0-4 (5-3, P-3, 6-4-3 DP, 6-3)
4. Austin Byler, 1B: 1-4 (4-3, 1B, K, F-7)
5a. Dawel Lugo, 3B: 0-2 (F-7, F-9)
5b. Henry Castillo, 3B: 1-2 (2B, F-7)
6. Stryker Trahan, RF: 0-2 (K, BB, L-4 DP)
7. Grant Heyman, DH: 1-3 (2B, K, K, R)
8a. Jose Herrera, C: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
8b. Tyler Baker, C: 0-1 (K)
9. Sergio Alcantara, SS: 2-3 (1B, F-7, 2B, RBI, SB, CS)
1. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-4 (K, K, 3-1, P-5)
2. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 1-3 (BB, 4-3, K, 1B, R, SB)
3. Victor Caratini, C: 0-4 (3-6-1 DP, K, 6-3, 4-3)
4. Natanael Delgado, DH: 2-4 (2B, 1B, K, K, R)
5. Wade Wass, 1B: 1-4 (5-3, 1-3, 1-3, 1B)
6. Charcer Burks, CF 1-4 (1B, P-4, 5-3, F-8, R, RBI)
7. Andrew Daniel, 3B: 2-3 (HR, 1B, 5-3, R, 2 RBI)
8. Kody Eaves, SS: 0-3 (F-8, F-9, F-8)
9. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 2-3 (1B, 1B, P-4, SB)
1. Justin Donatella: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 2/1 GO/AO, 38 pitches (23 strikes)
2. Luis Madero: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 3/2GO/AO, 32 pitches (19 strikes)
3. Junior Garcia: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 4/0 GO/AO, 20 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Jeferson Mejia: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/3 GO/AO, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Dallas Newton: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 16 pitches (9 strikes)
1. Tyler Skulina: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 5/6 GO/AO, 65 pitches (43 strikes)
2. Jordan Minch: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 22 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Matt Brazis: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 9 pitches (5 strikes)
4. Steve Perakslis: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
DIAMONDBACKS ERRORS: NONE
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: NONE
DIAMONDBACKS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Jose Herrera: 0-1 CS
2. Tyler Baker: 0-1 CS
ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Victor Caratini: 1-2 CS
ANGELS/CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Charcer Burks - batter (Sergio Alcantara) thrown out 8-6-5 attempting to stretch double into triple
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
Hagsag 9 hours 27 min ago (view)
Are ther any FA starting pitchers that would be an addition to take a starting spot?
QuietMan 21 hours 10 min ago (view)
I'm thinking players should demand that this be added to their list. "Sorry Honey, can't do it."
crunch 22 hours 11 min ago (view)
or washing the dishes turns out to be popping wheelies on a motorcycle riding around scottsdale...
jeff kent deserves to be in the HOF...lou whitaker needs to get in first...
Arizona Phil 22 hours 47 min ago (view)
jdrnym: Once the MLB regular season starts, the "Practice Squad" will be a sub-group of the Club Player Pool, as will be the MLB Active List roster and the various MLB injured lists.
Arizona Phil 23 hours 52 min ago (view)
Q-MAN: Yes, unless "washing the dishes" is listed as a forbidden off-field activity in his contract
crunch 1 day 21 min ago (view)
oh boy...chatwood and a.mills in the rotation...because the minor league system sure as hell don't have much to offer for competition.
QuietMan 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
Non Baseball related injury. Does he still get paid?
Ryno 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
A digital nerve sounds like something that would be repaired with a copper wire and solder.
Cubster 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
Per Sun-Times: Jose Quintana out two weeks after cutting a digital nerve in his pitching left thumb and requiring microsurgery to repair the nerve, from a kitchen dishwashing accident last week. Hard to say what impact that might have on his repertoire. The sensation can take 2-3 months to return if the repair is successful.
jdrnym 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
All makes sense, but I think there is one important point of clarification in there -- are you using "practice squad" and "Club Player Pool" interchangeably? If so, I understood the first sentence of your third-to-last paragraph above to mean that Mills/Sadler/Underwood could be outrighted and still be in the Pool, therefore retaining their eligibility to re-selected to the major league active roster later in the season.
Arizona Phil 1 day 14 hours ago (view)
jdrnym: Zack Short is still on Optional Assignment to the minors (as are Alzolay, M. Amaya, R. Garcia, Maples, T. Miller, Norwood, Rea, M. Rodriguez, and Steele), but he can be recalled at any time without restriction (no "ten-day rule") because he was optioned to the minors prior to the transaction freeze in March.
crunch 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
the toles update is worse than his troubled past. toles has been diagnosed bipolar + schizophrenia and has been in/out of institutions over the past couple years. he can't seem to stick to any program long enough to get good treatment.
hope he turns whatever corner he needs to in order to get enough treatment to decide what kind of future he'd like to have.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
Those two are definitely on more precarious ground once the roster is trimmed to 26, I would say.
jdrnym 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
Right, just went through the roster quick. Underwood, Sadler, same deal.
Dolorous Jon Lester 2 days 32 min ago (view)
Can't answer the Short thing. But I'd agree with your assessment of Mills if he weren't basically a lock to make the roster.
jdrnym 2 days 39 min ago (view)
Is Zack Short's official designation still "on optional assignment" even though he's not on the Pool? If so, he can't just be recalled even though he's on the 40-man roster, right?
And someone like Alec Mills who's on the Pool and out of options... he's virtually locked onto the active roster because he can't get taken off (via an outright) and remain eligible to be re-added. Seems like the kind of player you'd prefer to leave off the initial Pool.