Dodgers @ Cubs: Kershaw vs Hendricks (Game 168; NLCS Game 2)

Dodgers 1, Cubs 0
W: Kershaw (2-0); L: Hendricks (0-1); S: Jansen (3)
Series tied 1-1

PREVIEW
LAD (0-1): LHP Clayton Kershaw (1-0, 5.84)
CHC (1-0): RHP Kyle Hendricks (0-0, 4.91)
First pitch: 7:00pmCST

Hendricks gave up 2 ER in 3.2 innings for a no-decision in Game Two of the NLDS against the Giants, which the Cubs went on to win 5-2. He beat the Dodgers at Wrigley on June 2, holding them to 2 ER through 8 innings. Overall, they are 8-41 (.195) against him. Turner is 2-7 with a HR. Hendricks was 9-2 with a crisp 1.32 ERA at Wrigley this year.

Kershaw had two starts (giving up 3 ERs in 5 innings and 5 ERs in 6.2 innings) and one two-out save (in the elimination game) against the Nationals in the NLDS. But don’t let the ERA fool you. He pitched Game Four on short rest and came in on his throw day for Game Five, and some of those runs can be tagged on the shoddy LA bullpen. He was 4-3 with a 2.31 on the road this year, and the Cubs were lucky enough to miss him, helped in part by the fact that he missed 11 starts with a back issue. For their careers, the Cubs are 32-133 (.241) against him. Fowler is 18-44 (.409)--atta boy, Dex!

Monday is (mercifully) a day off, then we have Arrieta vs. Rich Hill (who bears some resemblance to the former Cubs pitcher of the same name) on Tuesday in LA.

Go Cubs!

Comments

Thanks again to CT Steve and all ya'll for your continued opining. For those of you not at the game last night, I was wondering if the zone was erratic? Granted I was on the 1st Base side, but several pitches located as strikes by Maeda looked the same and called balls for Lester. What did the "box" show? Re RIZZO, he at least made contact on a few pitches last night - so that is something. But, so far in two Playoff years, he looks terrible and the opposing pitchers make him look foolish. Reminded me of the Hawk looking MVP, and disappearing in the Cubs '89 run. Billy B is spot on with Russell. Let's hope he can continue to make spectacular plays and error-free baseball for the rest of this run. He is completely overmatched at the plate. He and Riz are just gonna have to get out of this on their own. Now.

E-Man -- I was 5 rows in the upper deck between home and first. Same issues with the home plate ump -- seemed very inconsistent, although you can't really tell from where I was sitting. Lester seemed shocked when he was issued his second walk -- he assumed the pitch was a strike and stood at home until the ump told him to go to first.

Dexter Fowler CF, Kris Bryant 3B, Anthony Rizzo 1B, Ben Zobrist LF, Addison Russell SS, Javier Baez 2B, Contreras C, Heyward RF, Hendricks P LAD doesn't handle the changeup well. this game could be fun.

Heyward bats 8th--to remind Roberts that maybe the IBB was not such a great idea.

I'm very happy for E-man and Billybucks to see a game like yesterday's. For me, that would be a lifetime achievement thing.

I will always remember the sound of the ball leaving Miggy's bat, high-fiving everyone around me and hugging my son, both of us laughing like idiots. Simply awesome.

That's awesome. If MLB ever goes to aluminum bats, I'm going to put my head in an oven.

It was remarkable O&B. Regardless of the outcome this season, last night was absolutely the same game the team would have lost in 2003, 2007, or 2008 over and over. The place exploded after the Montero HR. I am so not used to these things going our team's way. It is not what I have ever seen before. Thanks Tom Ricketts. Thanks Theo.

LEAVE NO DOUBT!

Okay guys. I just stumbled into tickets for tonight. LEAVE NO DOUBT!

Wow! Good for you! Wear comfy shoes and expect to stand most of the game!

Enjoy it, Brick! Clark Street is basically a huge block party before and after the game. Amazing environment.

Just win the non-Kershaw games and we're in good shape. Great job by Hendricks & the pen.

Yeah, the pitching and D kept the Cubs in this game despite the offense not being able to do anything with Kershaw or Jansen. If Rizzo could keep his fair or Baez could've gotten just a bit more of his flyout, we'd have been looking at a bullpen battle. As losses go, this one wasn't too demoralizing.

• First.Pitch.120 6 hours 46 min ago (view)

I did 3/4 of a PhD in Ames, IA... no need to apologize. That's time that can jade anybody. The best parts of my years there were 1) Cubs on local AM radio (pre cell network streaming) so I could listen to them on a run, and 2) being able to go see the I-cubs whenever I wanted. Was at a game there on July 4, 2007 & I saw a guy sitting 1 section over, a couple rows up and I thought "that looks like Barack Obama". Turns out it was the whole Obama family... Gotta love IA in a pre-caucus year.

• Mike Wellman 9 hours 51 min ago (view)

Magic # = 7 after Colin Rea labors to 13th win vs. baby Brewers (at expense of Jimmy Nelson) & Memphis loses. No sign of Zobrist. Almora runs hitting streak to 2 games. Jim Adduci = a pro’s pro; guy’s a ball player by trade...

• crunch 18 hours 24 min ago (view)

paul dejong (STL) took out the M in  the "BIG MAC LAND" sign @STL with a big HR...lights went out on the letter and everything.  epic-ish.

• crunch 18 hours 31 min ago (view)

i know bote will be back in a couple weeks, but dude has been hitting damn well since mid-july after having a big june/july slump.

• Eric S 18 hours 37 min ago (view)

David Bote sent down to Iowa today prior to Cishek’s activation off the IL tomorrow — nice of the Cubs do their part to help the I-Cubs down the stretch

• Cubster 19 hours 28 min ago (view)

And the Brewers are being no hit by Hudson thru 6.

• crunch 20 hours 41 min ago (view)

never really considered how that might be cool for people used to seeing those midwest fields as an everyday occurance.  in the south-east US you rarely see the vastly massive acerage of farm-against-farm-against-farm-etc...

also, i spent a good amount of time out in corn fields in ames, iowa in my last job.  everyone wanted to go work the research fields in hawaii, but we always ended up in iowa.

• Sonicwind75 22 hours 17 min ago (view)

Hey, I'm pretty excited about the Field of Dreams game.  I grew up on a farm in middle of nowhere Iowa and my brother and I spent a lot of time trying to hit baseballs into a corn field.  I'm seriously considering coming back next summer from Texas to go to that game if prices aren't super stupid expensive.  Added bonus, I won't have to listen to A-Rod and Mendoza ignorantly discussing corn and no, you don't eat field corn like you would sweet corn.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 10 hours ago (view)

That is truly staggering. Shame on the rest of the Central that we are only one loss behind the pissboys, we should have been buried by now with that kind of stat.

• crunch 1 day 18 hours ago (view)

...and strop gives up a hit then walks the bases loaded.

...and he closes it out with a K.  neat.

this is the 1st cubs road series win since May 17-19 @WAS.

• crunch 1 day 18 hours ago (view)

strop comes in to get the last out, but it has to be some kinda slow-walk back in a game that wasn't a save situation.

homer, hbp, k, k...looks healthy.

• crunch 1 day 18 hours ago (view)

welcome back kimbrel.

1st pitch goes about 10 miles outside the park by marte.

• crunch 1 day 19 hours ago (view)

one takeaway from this game...a slew of cubs players were fans of Hey Arnold! when they were kids.

• crunch 1 day 20 hours ago (view)

woo, a good cubs away game.

• crunch 1 day 22 hours ago (view)

heyward / cast / bryant / rizzo / baez / schwarb / caratini / kemp(2nd) / Q

• crunch 1 day 23 hours ago (view)

so stoked for the williamsport game.

the increasing amount of off-site games is a bit concerning (middle of nowhere Field of Dreams field, really?), but I love this one.  it's played out great so far and giving the kids playing in the LL series some primo seats (hope this continues) is a great touch.