Cubs Get Long Ball from Strumpf and Wetzel at Sloan Park
Chase Strumpf belted a two-run HR halfway up the LF berm and singled and scored, Jacob Wetzel clubbed a two-run HR halfway up the RF berm and walked and scored, Andy Weber stroked a single and a two-run double, and Alfonso Rivas drilled an RBI single, walked twice, and stole a base, in Cubs AZ Instructional League intrasquad game action Wednesday afternoon at Sloan Park in Mesa, AZ.
The game was called with one out in the top of the 5th once all of the pitchers who were scheduled to throw in the game got their work. (The Cubs were suppoosed to host the A's in an AZIL games, but the game was canceled and so the Cubs played an intrasquad game, and the four pitchers who were scheduled to throw in the AZIL game pitched in the intrasquad game instead).
Here is the box score from the game:
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Fabian Pertuz, SS: 1-3 (2B, E-5, F-7, 2 R)
2. Chase Strumpf, 3B: 2-3 (HR, K, 1B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
3. Bryce Windham, C: 1-3 (4-3, 1B, L-8, R, RBI)
4. Jacob Wetzel, CF: 1-2 (F-8, HR, BB, 2 R, 2 RBI)
5. Andy Weber, 2B: 2-3 (3-1, 1B, 2B, 2 RBI)
6. Yonathan Perlaza, LF: 1-3 (1B, K, K)
7. Edmond Americaan, RF: 0-1 (4-6-3 DP, BB, PO)
8. Matt Mervis, 1B: 1-1 (BB, 2B)
9. Nelson Velazquez, DH: 0-2 (F-7, F-8)
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Christopher Morel, 2B: 1-3 (F-7, 6-4 FC, 2B)
2. Cole Roederer, CF: 1-2 (K, 2B, BB, R)
3. Ethan Hearn, C: 0-1 (BB, BB, F-9, R)
4. Alfonso Rivas, 1B: 1-1 (BB, 1B+E9, BB, RBI, SB)
5. Luis Vazquez, 3B: 0-2 (P-2, K)
NOTE: Slot was skipped third time through the order
6. Jared Young, LF: 0-2 (BB, 3-1, 6-3, R, SB)
7. Jordan Nwogu, RF: 0-2 (L-8, F-9)
8. Luis Verdugo, SS: 0-1 (F-9 SF, 1-3, RBI)
9. Pablo Aliendo, DH: 1-1 (1B, BB, R)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Danis Correa: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 4 BB, 1 K, 1/4 GO/AO, 52 pitches (24 strikes)
2. Eduarniel Nunez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/AO, 56 pitches (27 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Koen Moreno: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 3/2 GO/AO, 35 pitches (20 strikes)
2. Cam Sanders: 2.1 IP, 6 H, 5 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 0/3 GO/AO, 61 pitches (37 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
RF Edmond Americaan: E-9 (fielding error on line-drive single to RF allowed batter to advance to 2B)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
3B Luis Vazquez: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Bryce Windham: 0-2 CS, 2 PB
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Ethan Hearn: 1 PO
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Cubster 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
Jason Schmidt signs with Dodgers, 3/44.
crunch 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
20 year, 800m contract incoming...front loaded 150m over the first 2 years with a player opt out after that...
videographer 2 days 5 hours ago (view)
Darth Vader to rescue Carlos Correa's bruised ego.
crunch 2 days 6 hours ago (view)
carlos correa has hired scott boras...
bradsbeard 3 days 1 hour ago (view)
The IFA market isn't exactly an equal access thing. Not only do the Cubs have a slightly smaller bonus pool than some teams, players are often linked to teams through their trainers well before they are able to sign. It's not like when these kids are 14 that the teams know for sure that they have a top of the class player on their hands two years in the future.
Wrigley Rat 3 days 2 hours ago (view)
Cubbies.4ever - I read that the Cubs strategy with international free agents has been to spend most of their bonus money on young, position players and then take chances on cheaper, older pitching prospects who have been late bloomers (taller, stronger, more command of pitches, etc.). They are also grabbing guys at the end of the international signing period and signing them to future service contracts. They have six pitchers that were signed last year to future service contracts, and only one position player.
cubbies.4ever 3 days 3 hours ago (view)
Cubs IFA Signings are heavy on SS (given SS usually can play many positions as the develop), but only 1 pitcher. Given it's still early. Also disappointing that their best signing is #18. Gone are the days of Soler, Eloy, Torres, Marquez, Amaya etc. I believe Christian Hernandez last year was highly rated though.
Wrigley Rat 3 days 20 hours ago (view)
One more international free agent signing announced today: Daniel Benschop, OF, Aruba
bradsbeard 4 days 1 hour ago (view)
I hope all is well with AZ Phil. Hasn't posted in a few weeks and typically would expect him to have a post up tracking IFA signings. Maybe he's waiting for something official from the Cubs (who don't seem to have announced any of the signings officially)?
Cubster 4 days 3 hours ago (view)
Les Grobstein dies at age 69. Encyclopedic Chicago historian and longtime sports talk overnight radio host, plus a controversial listen. https://www.robertfeder.com/2022/01/17/les-grobstein-1952-2022/
Cubster 4 days 4 hours ago (view)
Hernandez ranks 18th on MLB's International prospect list. Sanchez ranks at #43.
Tribune article today on the Cub https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cubs/ct-chicago-cubs-alexis-hernan...
CubsCentral08 5 days 23 hours ago (view)
List is up to 12 now
Adan Sanchez, C/3B, Panama
Alexis Hernandez, SS, Dominican Republic
Jefferson Rojas, SS, Dominican Republic
Josefrailyn Alcantata, OF, Dominican Republic
Carlos Altuve, C, Venezuela
Josias Ramirez, OF, Dominican Republic
Moises Febrillet, SS, Dominican Republic
Albertina Belliard, OF, Dominican Republic
Yidel Diaz, C, Dominican Republic
Freylin Silverio, RHP, Dominican Republic
Sandy Sanchez, SS, Dominican Republic
Darlin de Leon, SS, Dominican Republic
Wrigley Rat 6 days 49 min ago (view)
In addition to those signed today, it's worth noting that seven players were signed to future-service contracts during the last international free agent signing period, and are expected to make their system-debut this coming season (most likely in the Dominican Republic). Those players are:
- RHP - Luis Angel Reyes
- LHP - Kevin Valdez
- RHP - Jensi Ramirez
- RHP - Yafrerlyn Vasquez
- RHP - Eligio Paredes
- RHP - Jair Jimenez
- OF - Edward Vargas
Wrigley Rat 6 days 49 min ago (view)
The Cubs added four more International Free Agents so far today:
- Josias Ramirez, OF, Dominican Republic
- Moises Febrillet, SS, Dominican Republic
- Albertina Belliard, OF, Dominican Republic
- Yidel Diaz, C, Dominican Republic
Wrigley Rat 6 days 51 min ago (view)
Sneak peak into the International Free Agent Signings that officially start tomorrow (Saturday):
Chicago Cubs ($5,179,700 total bonus pool) - 5 Signings (so far):
- Adan Sanchez, C/3B, Panama ($1,500,000 bonus)
- Alexis Hernandez, SS, Dominican Republic ($1,300,000 bonus)
- Jefferson Rojas, SS, Dominican Republic ($1,000,000 bonus)
- Josefrailyn Alcantata, OF, Dominican Republic
- Carlos Altuve, C, Venezuela
crunch 6 days 11 hours ago (view)
wsox snagging cuban oscar colas...23 year old high end power prospect that could slot into the majors quickly.
they're building a hell of a batting core on the south side of town.