Giants Put the Slug on the Cubs at Sloan
Hunter Bishop drilled an RBI triple and an RBI single, walked, stole a base, and scored two runs, Will Wilson doubled twice, singled, walked, scored two runs, and drove-in another, Luis Matos doubled twice and knocked-in a run, Brett Auerbach cracked a two-run triple, and Logan Wyatt blasted a solo HR, as the Giants thrashed the Cubs 11-4 in AZIL game action Friday afternoon at Sloan Park in Mesa, AZ.
Eight of the Giants' twelve hits were for extra-bases (including five doubles, two triples, and one HR).
Yonathan Perlaza hammered a solo HR and a triple and racked-up an outfield assist, Chase Strumpf collected two RBI singles, Jordan Nwogu singled twice, walked, stole a base, and scored a run, and Nelson Velazquez laced an RBI single for the Cubs in a losing cause.
The 21-year old switch-hitting Perlaza is being converted from an infielder (3B-2B) to an outfielder at Instructs, in large part to let him concentrate on his hitting. (His infield defense was pretty bad, and he would sometimes seem to take an error with him to the plate). But there is no doubting his offensive tools (hard contact with a slightly upper-cut swing path from both sides of the plate and above-average speed on the bases). He has played all three OF positions so far at Instructs, but looks most comfortable in LF (he played ten games in LF for South Bend in 2019). He will likely be added to the 38-man AAA Iowa reserve list on 11/20 so that he can be selected in the Major League Phase only ($100,000 draft price with the potential to re-claim in the Major League Phase, versus $24,000 draft price with no right to reclaim if he were to be placed on the AA Tennessee reserve list and be selected in the AAA Phase).
Cubs RHP Danis Correa pitched the 9th inning for the Cubs, throwing mostly all fastballs and consistently hitting 97-98. Like Perlaza, the 21-year old Correa is eligible for selection in the Rule 5 Draft, and while his secondaries need a lot of work and his command comes and goes, some club might want to take a gamble on him, if for no other reason than the high-velo FB. Because of his size (he is only 5'11 155), he likely profiiles as a one-inning high-octane bullpen arm. Like Perlaza, Correa is a virtual lock to be placed on the AAA Iowa reserve list on 11/20 so that he will be eligible for selection in the Rule 5 Draft's Major League Phase only.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Cole Roederer, CF: 0-4 (K, BB, L-8, K, K)
2a. Pablo Aliendo, C: 0-2 (F-8, K, BB, R)
2b. Ethan Hearn, C: 0-1 (K, BB)
3. Jordan Nwogu, DH: 2-4 (4-3, K, 1B, 1B, BB, R, SB)
4. Chase Strumpf, 2B: 2-5 (K, F-8, 1B, 1B, F-9, 2 RBI)
5. Andy Weber, SS: 0-3 (K, BB, 4-3, 6-3)
6. Alfonso Rivas, 1B: 0-2 (BB, HBP, 3-U, F-8)
7. Nelson Velazquez, RF: 1-4 (6-3, 1B, 6-3, K, RBI)
8. Luis Vazquez, 3B: 0-4 (F-8, 6-3 DP, L-8, 4-3)
9. Yonathan Perlaza, LF: 2-4 (3B, HR, 1-3, K, R, RBI)
1. Peyton Remy: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 5 R (5 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 3 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/2 GO/AO, 63 pitches (39 strikes)
2. Eduarniel Nunez: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 37 piches (23 strikes)
3. Bryan Hudson: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 3/2 GO/AO, 53 pitches (32 strikes)
4. Danis Correa: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 24 pitches (15 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: NONE
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Pablo Aliendo: 1-3 CS
2. Ethan Hearn: 1-1 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSIST:
LF Yonathan Perlaza - batter thrown out 7-6-5 attempting to stretch double into triple
WEATHER: Mosly cloudy and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"