And We Shall Rumor...
The GM Meetings have begun and every agent wants the Cubs excess in their clients' pockets. So where we at...
- Russell "31-year-old Career Year" Martin wants Brian McCann money, something in the vicinity of 5/75-80M. Beefy seems to be just fine back there, don't you think?
- The Phillies are allegedly in blow-up mode, but beyond Cliff Lee or Cole Hamels, can't imagine there's much for the Cubs to look at. Hamels DID NOT put the Cubs on his list of teams he could block a trade to, but the Phillies are asking for 3 top prospects and I don't think they mean Alcantara, Edwards and Vogelbach.
- There's some ruminations that the Red Sox will end up bringing Jon Lester back, potential price tag in the 6/120M range.
- Theo isn't too keen on drawing too many conclusions from one post season and is still focused on upgrading the rotation rather than the bullpen.
- Theo also mentioned that he doesn't see any international free agents as an obvious fit with the Cubs.
- A few days back, Patrick Mooney mentioned that the Cubs would probably prefer Lester or Shields over Scherzer and throws out Andrew Miller's name as a possibility.
- Justin Upton has the Cubs as one of 4 teams on his no-trade list, he might not want to play here or he might just be looking for leverage.
- Torii Hunter was linked to about 10 teams, one being the Cubs. I think we'd all be surprised if that happened.
- The Mets are gonna look at trades to upgrade at shortstop and Starlin Castro's name is a natural fit, but the Mets are notoriously difficult to deal with and Andy Martino of The Daily News says, "it has so far been difficult, if not impossible, for the Mets and Cubs to agree on Castro’s trade value."