Old Ballplayers Never Die

Jackson (Red) Hollis passed away last fall. Cancer finally got him out at the age of 90. He was a fixture at Principal Park, home of the Iowa Cubs, where he preached the gospel of baseball for even more seasons than he played the game professionally.

I wrote an homage to him last summer for our local paper near the end of the minor league season that sketches an outline of who he was and why he is missed.

Today I was reminded of him which led me to look him up (again) @ Baseball Reference. His extensive minor league resume includes seven stints at various levels of the Cub system without ever reaching the top.

I noticed the meter’s still running on his age. As of 12/28/18 he’s listed at 90 years and 334 days.

Extra innings...

Comments

I enjoyed the Register piece. On BR I see Red was a teammate of Chuck Connors on the 1952 PCL Los Angeles Angels!

glad this comment section is now open.  i also enjoyed it.

one of my time wasting hobbies is reading old newspapers (especially late 1800s early 1900s US papers) and occasionally i'll run across a story about a sports figure i'm not familiar with or some other interesting personality.  on more than a few occasions a web search has led to me to a story similar to the piece written about hollis.

it's really great to find closure out in the wild.

The Rifleman!

• The E-Man 3 hours 11 min ago (view)

Eh - double meh. How about just getting Curtis Granderson and calling it a day?

• crunch 3 hours 24 min ago (view)

c.paddack (SD) with a no-hitter through 7, 82 pitches

...and it's gone in the 8th.  now i don't have to watch a SD/MIA game anymore.

• Eric S 7 hours 14 min ago (view)

Finally, a Yu win at Wrigley as a Cub and a series win against the Reds. Could definitely get used to that!

• Eric S 8 hours 5 min ago (view)

JHey!!! Yu’s gotta be the happiest dude in the dugout

• Eric S 8 hours 9 min ago (view)

Little surprised Maddon pulled Yu after six innings and only 83 pitches - hopefully just trying to keep him fresh (and no injury concern)

• videographer 9 hours 12 min ago (view)

AZ Phil,

What can you tell us about Alexander Guerra and his performance as of late?  2 - 3HR games in two weeks, 1.200 Slg %.  Does he have any kind of value as a prospect?

• crunch 9 hours 43 min ago (view)

post all-star break darvish is some good stuff so far, too.

• Eric S 10 hours 11 min ago (view)

Home run derby KB is a hell of a lot of fun!!

• Eric S 10 hours 45 min ago (view)

I’m trying really hard to reverse jinx it but floundering in a bad way. Seems likely he’ll hit 6 + in a week when the dam finally breaks

• Eric S 10 hours 47 min ago (view)

His two strike approach is very commendable on a team with so much swing and miss in it. Hoping he’ll run into an early count fastball soon that exits the park - he’s most certainly due.

• First.Pitch.120 11 hours 31 sec ago (view)

Fair points... but with this roster, I don't really care about JJ's power.  More than enough power up & down lineup.  I'm a bit "meh" on speed & SBs, especially in a 4th OF type on a post-season roster.  Call it Post-Traumatic-2018-Terrence-Gore-Disorder (PT'18TGD???). If I had to choose between a 4th OF who can pinch run or who can pinch hit, it's my personal preference for the PH. And anybody who disagrees with me is wrong & probably immoral.

• VirginiaPhil 12 hours 20 min ago (view)

Jay--an outfielder hitting two home runs in 433 PAs with the Cubs.  Hasn't hit more than three in seven years.  Sometimes you give up power for speed, but there's no speed, either, at least in the form of SBs.

• VirginiaPhil 12 hours 28 min ago (view)

Williams can carry a tune, if I remember correctly.

Dempster was unbelievable the other night, hitting only one note on-key, the second to the last word in the song, "ball."  Maybe he can do comedy, but forget about song-and-dance.

• crunch 12 hours 55 min ago (view)

almora (really?) / baez / bryant(LF) / rizzo / caratini / heyward / russell(2nd) / bote(3rd) / darvish

• First.Pitch.120 13 hours 59 min ago (view)

Jon Jay - Trade Candidate?

I noticed that JJ was back from the IL & having a usual JJ quiet-productive start to his season. I think I love the idea of JJ coming back to the north side. Instantly makes the OF deeper no matter what happens with Happ or Zo. Lefty bat compliments AA in CF & can play good D at all 3 spots. Pretty even career R/L splits. Good career PH numbers if coming off the bench. Known quantity in clubhouse.

The post-seaon roster starts to feel deep & balanced...  with 13 position players including a bench of:

Caratini

• Dolorous Jon Lester 14 hours 36 min ago (view)

He is very streaky, both with his hitting for average and his power. I’m not too worried about it from the Cubs standpoint yet. From my fantasy team standpoint  a different matter though.