Jason Marquis Has A Family To Think About

Reader Crunch beat me to this by a couple minutes in the Comments, but that after making his Spring Training debut Saturday in a 6-2 Cubs loss to the Angels (2 runs, 3 hits allowed in 2 IP), Jason Marquis let it be known that he wants to be traded if the Cubs aren't going to let him start:

"I love Chicago. I definitely want to stay here...But I also signed as a starter...I love (Chicago), I love the fans, I love the stadium. I also have a family to worry about, too. I think I can take my services elsewhere...and help another team, in that capacity as a starter."

How Marquis's family would suffer if he was pitching long relief, I'm not sure.

Lou Piniella's response after he was informed of Marquis's comments:

"You know, that galls me about Marquis, it really does. I'm not pleased with that comment. We've had a good camp over here, everybody's getting an opportunity. Go out and win a spot in the rotation."

Sullivan also writes that Boston scout Keith Champion was at Saturday's game, which one might connect with the Cubs' reported interest in Coco Crisp. When came to light, Marquis's name came up as a possible trade target for Theo Epstein, but since t The Pitcher Who Used To Be Bartolo Colon, their interest in Marquis might be less...if there was ever any to start with.

Comments

Unless the Sox can find a couple a pair of Mo Vaughan's pants to sew togther I don't know how Colon can even dress. Marquis fed his family with the bloated contract he got last year. It's not the nFL

Marquis looks like he lost weight. Any team in particular that Marquis wants to go to so he can be left off their playoff rosters? Bad idea to piss off Lou too.

Lou didn't take kindly about Marquis' statements, Look like Marquis will be sent packing by Lou just like Barrett was. I expect a trade within a week. Bye bye Marquis. Hit The Road Jack..Be Gone!!!! Hello Coco Crisp! http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com...

From MLBTR: Angelos Gives MacPhail Permission To Move Roberts This morning it was reported that the Cubs had two scouts at the Orioles' spring game yesterday to watch Brian Roberts. Now, several people have written in to let us know that Bruce Levine of ESPN 1000 is reporting that Peter Angelos has given Andy MacPhail the green light to trade Roberts. It has long been rumored that Angelos might have been holding up the trade to the Cubs because of his personal affection for Roberts. With Angelos' blessing, this deal may finally happen in the next few days.

I'm going to take the unpopular opinion here, because I think Marquis is a kick-ass #5 starter, several notches better than Dempster or Leiber. Not only does he always take the ball and post approximately a 500 wpct, but he does it consistently. He's consistently good half of the time. So basically, I think he has a case. He's being kind of whiny about it, but he's the best option for the Cubs.

And if he's really worried about his family, and this leads to a life of pitching long relief, I'll gladly sign over all my paychecks to him and his family. I'll take his long reliever salary.

Sure Ryno, but like Lou says, if he's the best option, shouldn't he be able to prove himself over the next four weeks? Why make a dumb-ass comment like that after the third game of spring training? When he was here in St. Louis, he didn't complain much, but he failed to complete his last two seasons with the Cardinals with even consistently mediocre performances. It wasn't a whole lot different last year, and I don't see why we should expect anything to change this year. Add in the attitude, and I say, pack your bags.

Way to put both feet in your mouth, Marquis. Don't mess with Lou, man. He's not Dusty Baker.

what a nitwit. he spouts off after 2 spring training innings. and is likely to get traded to boston. or baltimore. or even the angels for g m junior. and with the dh, he won't get to swing the bat. which is the most compelling reason for him to be a cub; he provides a wonderful contrast as a hitter to lilly, hill, dempster, and marshall. say hello to your number 5 starter, ryan dempster. as long as marquis fetches something valuable, i'm okay with it.

what were the questions is my question. Did he just go out and say something like this or did someone like Sullivan go and ask "well if you arent a starter, would you want to be traded". Marquis was shaky but he took the ball every 5 days.

I have got a family to think about as well, as in there is no way in hell I can subject them to watching this vastly over-paid whining bitch pitch...

lol... Maybe I should cover my kid's eyes when he pitches.

Well, too bad, bitch. You chose to sign here and for all we know he was never guaranteed a rotation spot for three years.

• crunch 5 hours 34 min ago (view)

"MLB will hold its first-ever pre-draft combine from June 20-28 in Cary, North Carolina.

The combine will take place at the USA Baseball National Training Complex, with top draft-eligible college and high school players invited. As part of the combine, the top-88 prep players will take part in a tournament through June 26th consisting of eight games."

• crunch 6 hours 58 min ago (view)

cactus league officials are requesting MLB delay spring training because of elevated COVID cases + deaths.

their summer peak was 70-80 deaths a week and they're currently at 140-160 deaths a week.

things should be trending down now that most of people that wanted to kill relatives in order to have turkey dinners in NOV/DEC seems to have peaked.

• Hagsag 1 day 3 hours ago (view)

$$$$ for trump's defense fund.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 3 hours ago (view)

But they got $600 a few months back. Each! That was an unexpected windfall.

Can't wait to see us acquire a 17 year old, 16 year old, 11 year old (all in the 15-30 range of Blue Jays prospects) and one of the shitty Jays surplus OFs. Randal Grichuk jerseys will be the new hot item among Cubs fans.

• crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)

things are a little tight, we have to be patient with the ricketts family finances.

when TD Ameritrade was fully/completely sold in october they expected to get 26 billion dollars of value on the transaction, but it only got 22 billion dollars.  the massive slew of millions that didn't fully come to realization on the ricketts side of that sale stings.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 5 hours ago (view)

Trade Hendricks? Cant be true. We're "going to be competitive this year."

Sell the team, Ricketts family.

• crunch 1 day 5 hours ago (view)

"Scott Mitchell of TSN reports that the Blue Jays have discussed a potential trade with the Cubs involving Kris Bryant and Kyle Hendricks.

Mitchell was responding to a question on Twitter asking whether there was any truth to the rumor that the Jays had talked with the Cubs about a deal for both players, and he answered in the affirmative."

this timeline sucks.

• bradsbeard 2 days 9 hours ago (view)

International Scouting Director Louie Eljaua was just on The Score and he mentioned that COVID is causing issues with completing physicals and officially signing guys, but he said they have 24 guys unufficially signed right now.

• KingKongvsGodzilla 2 days 10 hours ago (view)

These guys are a year apart in age and Miller's easily had the stronger career to date. While I'm not big on Miller, much prefer his more standard injury (TJ) than whatever it is that sapped Foltynewicz's velocity. Folty without velocity just isn't interesting and is likely a much bigger injury risk

• Cubster 2 days 10 hours ago (view)

from an mlb.com article by Jordan Bastian...excerpt on Cubs free agent starting pitching options:

"Still, the Cubs need some more experienced Major League innings.

Given the way the offseason has played out for the North Siders, free-agent possibilities could include Chris Archer. Archer missed all of 2020 due to thoracic outlet syndrome, but he hopes to be ready to go by Spring Training. Free agents Mike Foltynewicz, Carlos Rodón, Rick Porcello and Trevor Williams are coming off forgettable '20 seasons but might benefit from the Cubs' analytics team.

• Charlie 3 days 4 hours ago (view)

At this rate, they will need 11 starters in 2021 but like 6 of them will be more or less Alec Mills. The defense will get plenty of practice, at least.

• crunch 3 days 8 hours ago (view)

i wouldn't be surprised to see jake arrieta come on board since no one else seems to want him and he'll probably have to take a 1yr deal...

• crunch 3 days 8 hours ago (view)

cubs get their backup catcher...hopefully not their main catcher...

austin romine 1yr/1.5m

• Dolorous Jon Lester 3 days 8 hours ago (view)

Look no further than Shelby Miller!

• crunch 3 days 9 hours ago (view)

hank aaron has died.  passed away in his sleep.

we've lost a lot of HOF'rs and other notables in the past many months.

• Hagsag 3 days 14 hours ago (view)

The Cubs are now the "Little Sisters of the Poor".