Gameday Open Thread / Cubs @ Royals

The Cubs (4-7 in Cactus League play) meet the Royals (5-5) in Surprise, Arizona (which, if it had any real guts, would add an exclamation point after its name. "Surprise!, Arizona"--now that's a town with character).

Ryan Dempster starts against Brett Tomko. Making his third appearance of the Spring, Dempster comes in at 1-0/3.60.

Yesteday, the Cubs split the squad and beat the Diamondbacks 4-1 in Mesa, while losing 7-6 to the A's on the road. Jon Lieber's four shutout innings against the D-Backs were one of the day's highlights.

So far this Spring:

Cub starters--2-1/3.38 ERA; 22 K, 7 BB; 26 H in 29 1/3 IP.

Cub relievers--2-6/6.55 ERA; 38 K, 38 BB; 73 H in 67 1/3 IP.

Comments

That double by Pie was beautiful.

there's a chat button up there, people. come be sad with the rest of the sad sacks of idling people...all 3 of us...sitting there not typing. actually, just go outside and fly a kite. have fun.

I'll be stopping by...

Do we use the same username/password we do for the regular posts?

you have to register again. it's 3rd party.

Tough error on Godzillanek.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7890610/Br... Two teams that recently inquired about Angels outfielder Reggie Willits were told that he is unavailable. The outfielder the Angels want to trade, one rival executive says, is Juan Rivera. Even if Rivera proves adequate at first base, his at-bats will be limited. Vladimir Guerrero, Torii Hunter, Gary Matthews Jr. and Garret Anderson are ahead of him in the outfield rotation, and Casey Kotchman will play first against right-handers.

I like Juan Rivera a lot but as long as we have Murton I don't think it's a good fit on the North Side. He used to play CF occasionally (maybe not so well) but I don't think he has since his leg injury. Not sure he ever will again.

Don't hassle the Hoff!

damn. that last pitch that wood threw to pena was brutal. talk about high heat...

Did the company WRI Y buy the naming rights tonight? http://www.cubworld.com/category/a_cubworld_cam :)

hahah

lol... good call.

...seems Com Edison is bidding for the rights, based on the marquee.

Weingarten Realty Inc? http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=WRI Never heard of 'em.

I like the old website way better. The cub reporter used to be first on cub news but anymore it is the same stuff we read in the paper. This used to be a first rate website but now it is going downhill. sorry I will look at the old website as long as it is there.

Umm... this site has the EXACT same content as the "old website." Same writers, same content, same readers, different look.

considering we've been on this site for about a week, that's quite a conclusion you've leaped to...maybe your talking about the old AB.com site or maybe you work for MVN?

but I don't recall TCR ever breaking any news...

Seriously! That Rob G. at the old site is a much better writer than the Rob G. at this new site. On the other hand, the AZ Phil of the new site is less wordy than the one at the old site. Which one should I go to? TCR? or Bizarro TCR? I can't decide. I glad* SOMEBODY finally stepped up and pointed out that the elephant in the room has no clothes. *Back by popular demand.

For the record, I never like the writers at the old site or this new site. Or the posters either. FWIW.

I glad too Joe. I glad alot!

What are you talking about:)

I liked it better before....your comment, not the site!

I glad you like it. I change back.

I took a break from playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl to catch the game yesterday and I'm glad I did. It was a solid performance by everybody from 1 through 9 on the lineup card. I was especially tickled with Dempster's performance. He threw the ball really well, lots of movement and good location. Wood was just overpowering in his relief appearance.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 12 hours 37 min ago (view)

He played in the big leagues longer than he played any other level of organized baseball combined.

• crunch 12 hours 39 min ago (view)

al kaline has died at age 85.

from highschool to the majors without touching the minors...22 seasons, all with DET...18x all-star...3000 hit club.

• Charlie 2 days 12 hours ago (view)

Currently at a near full-time job that just barely covers my monthly expenses if nothing emerges.

I make more than that.

• crunch 2 days 12 hours ago (view)

"Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that Major League Baseball is considering opening the season in empty spring training parks -- with no fans and all players quarantined.

The plan would have all teams stationed in one centralized location -- likely Arizona"

• Arizona Phil 4 days 1 hour ago (view)

In addition to 40 players signed to 2020 MLB contracts, after releasing 22 minor leaguers this week the Cubs now have 279 players signed to 2020 minor league contracts (plus one minor leaguer on the Restricted List), for a total of 320 players in the organization (181 pitchers, 30 catchers, 60 infielders, and 49 outfielders).

• JustSayin' 4 days 10 hours ago (view)

Years of over-drafting pitching shown here.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 4 days 12 hours ago (view)

Some of the players cut I am not too surprised by. Some of them I think are definitely victims of the minor league pay thing and being squeezed out.

That said, I am very surprised they gave up already on Riley McCauley and Niels Stone.

• Hagsag 4 days 14 hours ago (view)

Baseball America is showing a big group of players that have been released.

• Arizona Phil 5 days 3 hours ago (view)

The Cubs have released minor league catcher Rafelin Lorenzo. He was selected from the Pittsburgh Pirates in the AAA Phase of the 2018 Rule 5 Draft and spent the 2019 season at South Bend. He was eligible to be a minor league 6YFA post-2020.

• JustSayin' 6 days 13 hours ago (view)

The organizations will cut rosters down, as if the full-season teams were breaking camp to start the season, THEN pay the remaining minor leaguers $400/week or whatever.  That's similar to what costs would have normally been but the "one last chance" players who got spring training invitations this year and didn't have an obvious roster spot won't be getting their last chance.

• crunch 6 days 14 hours ago (view)

"According to Jeff Passan of ESPN, all minor league players will be receiving $400 per week from MLB through at least May 31."

so that's where that promise landed.  the scary thing is that's still more than some in the low minors make on a weekly basis.

• crunch 1 week 2 days ago (view)

"Jeff Passan of ESPN writes that the players and league agreed that the 2020 season won't start until "there are no bans on mass gatherings that limit the ability to play in front of fans, there are no travel restrictions and medical experts determine games will not pose a risk to health of teams and fans." Passan does add that the two sides "will consider the feasibility of playing in empty stadiums" and also at neutral sites.

• crunch 1 week 2 days ago (view)

i miss baseball.  it could happen in june...it may happen in late may...it might not happen either way.

there's so many things getting messed up right now i would get lost making a list.  there's some college guys making a serious "okay, we need to look at that guy" push that's dead.  former cubs draft pick russell smith (2017, LHP highschool) took last season off for injury (TCU college) and returned with a low 90s fastball, impressive control, and a MLB-quality changeup.  his "comeback" was 4 games and done thanks to this current situation...

• JustSayin' 1 week 2 days ago (view)

COVID 19 + a short draft + Manfred's obsessive drive to shrink the minor leagues will change baseball forever.  It WAS still America's grass roots sport.  Where I live, from June through August, you could see a quality live game any day of the week, within an hour's drive.  I believe that era is over.  What's going on will have ripple effects, contracting serious college ball, college summer leagues and independent pro ball just as much as the MiLB systems.  With those changes, some of the game's charm will also go.  I've seen a kid from Cape Cod play in the Ca

• crunch 1 week 3 days ago (view)

fyi for anyone who bought MLB.tv

for "some reason" getting a cancel+refund via phone is like pulling teeth, but if you contact them via a webpage contact request many people are getting a cancel+refund confirmation within an hour or 2...

• bradsbeard 1 week 3 days ago (view)

I imagine because the new labor agreement freezes rosters as of whenever the agreement is approved by the owners and it might affect what those guys are paid under the agreement.