Gameday Open Thread / Cubs @ Mariners

Ryan Dempster's final tune-up before he's unleashed on the National League. The Mariners send out Jarrod Washburn which should give us an idea on the type of lineup the Cubs will send out versus lefties.

Comments

Johnson leading off, Fuku batting 2nd, Soto DHing and Blanco catching. Cedeno batting 9th and playing SS.

and Johnson hits a leadoff home run...

It doesn't appear a deal is imminent.

put up the Chicago weather in the lower left... supposed to warm up to the mid 50's by Monday, but 80% chance of thunderstorms.

What was the final score?

4-2 cubs... http://mlb.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2008... 2 murton singles... r.johnson homer...soto 0/4 (.194)...dumpster 4ip 6h 0bb 4k, 1er (70 pitches)

Quality viewing... Taking one for the team featuring Carlos Zambrano.

Awesome. djchi just made my night, which is sad, but still - great videos.

so does today's final spring exhibition game mean Marshall starts at Iowa and Tiggy is the bullpen lefty? On the pregame radio LouPa said the decision would be made Sunday evening...that means Pignatello and Marshall (and Murton) fly with the team to Chicago. There is a closed practice tomorrow at Wrigley Field. Weather forecast for the week from Tommy Skillethead (Tribune): http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/weather/

Dempster actually looked good in this game. Well actually I guess he's been decent all spring training. Maybe I'm underestamating what he can do this year. I just wonder if he will be tired or an injury risk as the season goes on. He obviously hasn't been a regular starter since 03. I hope the weather holds out for Monday, and everyone is on the edge of their seat for the Murton situation to work itself out, they probably have to wait on that to find out about Marshall/Piggy.

His nickname really is Tiggy Jeff. And I agree with you. Dempster looked competent out there today.

my guess is that niether tiggy or marshall will make it murton will be traded for a lefty who will make 25 man why else would lou say sunday nite he is waiting hoping hendry makes a move with murton.

Ok I stand corrected..'Tiggy' it is :)

he'll always be piggy to me...

• First.Pitch.120 6 hours 15 min ago (view)

I did 3/4 of a PhD in Ames, IA... no need to apologize. That's time that can jade anybody. The best parts of my years there were 1) Cubs on local AM radio (pre cell network streaming) so I could listen to them on a run, and 2) being able to go see the I-cubs whenever I wanted. Was at a game there on July 4, 2007 & I saw a guy sitting 1 section over, a couple rows up and I thought "that looks like Barack Obama". Turns out it was the whole Obama family... Gotta love IA in a pre-caucus year.

• Mike Wellman 9 hours 20 min ago (view)

Magic # = 7 after Colin Rea labors to 13th win vs. baby Brewers (at expense of Jimmy Nelson) & Memphis loses. No sign of Zobrist. Almora runs hitting streak to 2 games. Jim Adduci = a pro’s pro; guy’s a ball player by trade...

• crunch 17 hours 53 min ago (view)

paul dejong (STL) took out the M in  the "BIG MAC LAND" sign @STL with a big HR...lights went out on the letter and everything.  epic-ish.

• crunch 18 hours 3 sec ago (view)

i know bote will be back in a couple weeks, but dude has been hitting damn well since mid-july after having a big june/july slump.

• Eric S 18 hours 5 min ago (view)

David Bote sent down to Iowa today prior to Cishek’s activation off the IL tomorrow — nice of the Cubs do their part to help the I-Cubs down the stretch

• Cubster 18 hours 57 min ago (view)

And the Brewers are being no hit by Hudson thru 6.

• crunch 20 hours 9 min ago (view)

never really considered how that might be cool for people used to seeing those midwest fields as an everyday occurance.  in the south-east US you rarely see the vastly massive acerage of farm-against-farm-against-farm-etc...

also, i spent a good amount of time out in corn fields in ames, iowa in my last job.  everyone wanted to go work the research fields in hawaii, but we always ended up in iowa.

• Sonicwind75 21 hours 46 min ago (view)

Hey, I'm pretty excited about the Field of Dreams game.  I grew up on a farm in middle of nowhere Iowa and my brother and I spent a lot of time trying to hit baseballs into a corn field.  I'm seriously considering coming back next summer from Texas to go to that game if prices aren't super stupid expensive.  Added bonus, I won't have to listen to A-Rod and Mendoza ignorantly discussing corn and no, you don't eat field corn like you would sweet corn.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 9 hours ago (view)

That is truly staggering. Shame on the rest of the Central that we are only one loss behind the pissboys, we should have been buried by now with that kind of stat.

• crunch 1 day 17 hours ago (view)

...and strop gives up a hit then walks the bases loaded.

...and he closes it out with a K.  neat.

this is the 1st cubs road series win since May 17-19 @WAS.

• crunch 1 day 18 hours ago (view)

strop comes in to get the last out, but it has to be some kinda slow-walk back in a game that wasn't a save situation.

homer, hbp, k, k...looks healthy.

• crunch 1 day 18 hours ago (view)

welcome back kimbrel.

1st pitch goes about 10 miles outside the park by marte.

• crunch 1 day 18 hours ago (view)

one takeaway from this game...a slew of cubs players were fans of Hey Arnold! when they were kids.

• crunch 1 day 19 hours ago (view)

woo, a good cubs away game.

• crunch 1 day 21 hours ago (view)

heyward / cast / bryant / rizzo / baez / schwarb / caratini / kemp(2nd) / Q

• crunch 1 day 23 hours ago (view)

so stoked for the williamsport game.

the increasing amount of off-site games is a bit concerning (middle of nowhere Field of Dreams field, really?), but I love this one.  it's played out great so far and giving the kids playing in the LL series some primo seats (hope this continues) is a great touch.