Brenly Learns Son Good (So Far)

Newly-signed Michael Brenly wasted no time getting started, as the youngster slammed a line-drive opposite-field RBI single and stole a base, and RHP Chris Huseby threw three shoutout innings in what was definitely his best outing of 2008, as the EXST Cubs played a three-inning intrasquad game on Fitch Park Field #3 this morning.

Brenly, the Cubs 36th round draft pick out of UNLV and the son of Cubs broadcaster Bob Brenly,reported to Fitch Park yesterday and, after meeting the guys and taking some BP, settled right in. And being one day ahead of the other new arrivals, Brenly became the first of the new Cubs to see game action, serving as a DH in today's game.

This will probably be the last "combined" workout for Boise/Mesa (EXST Cubs), as the Boise Hawks roster was to be posted in the clubhouse after the conclusion of the game and the Hawks will be leaving for Idaho tomorrow (although it's possible that the Hawks will have a workout at Fitch Park before leaving for the airport).

After arrival in Boise, the team will attend a banquet where each Hawk player will be paired with a "host family." The player stays free of charge with his host family, and essentially becomes part of the household for the next 2-1/2 months. Although the host families are not compensated financially for their generosity, they do receive season tickets to Hawks games as part of the deal.

Several other newly-signed Cubs 2008 draft picks reported to Fitch Park for their physicals this morning, after which they got their uniforms (this isn't Mississippi State, you know) and reported to Coach Josh Arteaga on Field #2 for a short work-out (infield & outfield practice, and a BP session).

Among the new arrivals at Fitch Park this morning were RHP Jay Jackson (9th round pick out of Furman), 2B Jake Opitz (12th round pick out of Nebraska), 1B Ryan Keedy (16th round pick out of UAB), and CF David Macias (19th round pick out of Vanderbilt). There were also two or three others on the field I was unable to identify (they apparently weren't told to check-in with me first before taking the field).

Here is the abridged box score from today's intrasquad game...

NOTE: The lineups were structured based on the players defensive positions, which is why the two first-basemen were the lead-off hitters, and why Starlin Castro batted clean-up for probably the first time in his life.

SQUAD "A"
1. Bryan Jost, 1B: 1-2 (R)
2. Dwayne Kemp, 2B: 1-1 (2 R, BB, SB)
3. Josh Vitters, 3B: 1-2 (RBI, R)
4. Michael Brenly, DH #1: 1-2 (RBI, SB)
5. Junior Lake, SS: 0-2 (K)
6. Kevin Soto, LF: 2-2 (2 RBI, 2B)
7. Leon Johnson, CF: 0-1 (BB)
8. Nelson Perez, RF: 0-1 (GIDP)
9. Carlos Perez, C: 0-1
10. Jeffrey Rea, DH #2: 0-1

SQUAD "B"
1. Drew Rundle, 1B: 0-2 (GIDP)
2. Marwin Gonzalez, 2B: 1-1 (BB, SB)
3. John Contreras, 3B: 0-2 (2 K)
4. Starlin Castro, SS: 0-1
5. George Matheus, LF: 0-1
6. Cesar Salazar, CF: 0-1
7. Kyler Burke, RF: 1-1
8. Jose Made, DH: 0-1
9. Roberto Sabates, C: 0-0 (BB)

PITCHERS:

SQUAD "A"
1. Chris Huseby - 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP

SQUAD "B"
1. Carlos Rojas - 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP
2. Arik Hempy - 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R  (1 ER),  1 BB, 0 K

CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Carlos Perez: 0-1 CS
Roberto Sabates: 0-2 CS

ERRORS (5) :
Junior Lake (2) - two E-6, one an overthow at 1st base, and one dropped throw on a 4-6 FC attempt.
Marwin Gonzalez  - one E-4, muffed ground ball allowing batter to reach base.
Roberto Sabates (2) - two E-2, both errant throws to 2nd base trying to cut-down base-stealers, where ball bounced past middle infielder into CF, allowing runners to advance to 3rd base.

WEATHER: Very hot, with game-time temperature in the the 90's on the way to 110.

ATTENDANCE: 4

Comments

Phil, this may be out of your particular bailiwick, but do you have an opinion regarding Randy Wells at this point in his development? Last thread was discussing his prospects for a call - up to the rotation.

Submitted by Dmac on Wed, 06/11/2008 - 2:40pm.

Last thread was discussing his prospects for a call - up to the rotation.

============================

DMAC: I mentioned Randy Wells here at TCR a couple of months ago when discussing the 2009 Cubs...

Submitted by Arizona Phil on Fri, 04/25/2008 - 5:04pm in response to:

Submitted by Q-Ball on Fri, 04/25/2008 - 1:39pm.

AZ Phil: Great summary as always. Also you said Randy Wells will replace Jon Lieber as the rubber-armed spot starter/long reliever. That's a strong statement on Randy's potential. Thoughts?

===================================

Q-BALL: Randy Wells had a very good ST with the Blue Jays after they selected him in the Rule 5 Draft, and the Cubs got him back only because he got caught in a roster numbers crunch in Toronto. But he is the type of "rubber-armed" pitcher who can throw just about every day and pitch two or three innings if needed (he's another converted catcher, BTW).

The Cubs are likely to add Wells to the 40 by the end of the World Series (although he quite possibly could get called up in September for the stretch drive) just to keep him from becoming a minor league FA, but I think he has a very good chance to make the Cubs bullpen next season as the "long-man." If not, he'd be nice to have at Iowa as insurance in '09.

Thanks, Phil - we could use a few more "rubber arms" up here these days.

It's good to know we have some backup options if a starter or long man goes down. Now if Ascanio would only become Marmol Jr., we'd be sitting pretty.

How dare the newbies arrive at Fitch Park without checking in with AZ Phil? Had Fleita been around, I'm sure he would've screamed at them to do so from the watch tower. Thanks for the update Phil!

Damn, you're good Phil. I was about to write asking about when you expected the new draftees to start showing up at Fitch. I have not seen ANY news of these players that are already there even signing, let alone already reporting for duty. Folks, this is as fresh a scoop as you're gonna find anywhere! All praise Phil!!!

Yeah, great stuff as always Phil. Do you know, does the team even report signings as they go, or do they just release batches of them from time to time?

Thanks, as always, AZ Phil.

• azbobbop 18 hours 48 min ago (view)

I'm not a frequent poster but I am a daily reader who really appreciates this site

• SheffieldCornelia 1 day 1 hour ago (view)

I echo this!

• Cubster 1 day 3 hours ago (view)

btw, gotta love the banner photo showing white cleats with Wrigley mud stuck to them. Great choice (and very 3D).

• Hagsag 1 day 7 hours ago (view)

Cant picture not having AZ Phil as a infomation source.

• Mike Wellman 1 day 19 hours ago (view)

On top of what everyone else sez, TCR is my passport to the I-Cubs every year. Plz keep up the good work!

• First.Pitch.120 2 days 46 min ago (view)

I echo what everyone else has said. I am in no way an expert (or even novice) at the nuts & bolts of website construction; however, I have dabbled in some website maintenance for various entities. If there is a need for another set of hands, I would be willing to see if I could help ( or at least pull a Jonathan Herrera & cheer from the bench with an awesome helmet).

• Wrigley Rat 2 days 16 hours ago (view)

This site is great! It's pretty much the only Cubs site I visit daily, other than a Google search for Cubs news. 90% of the information I get on Cubs prospects is from here. Commenters are usually very respectful and it seems that most are well-informed or want to be. I'm hoping the site can continue. Thanks to everyone who contributes to its content! :)

• George Altman 2 days 18 hours ago (view)

I'd like to add, without meaning to take a superior attitude, that ALL the content and commentators on TCR are a step above every other Cubs Blog I've seen. I'm better informed, better briefed about not only what's happening but what's likely to happen.

You all have made me a better Cubs fan. Whatever happens,  thank you.

• Charlie 2 days 22 hours ago (view)

I will be happy to continue to do gameday posts for another season and would like to keep the site active. Thanks for your labor!

Sorry for all the delayed and abbreviated posts at season's end, by the way.

• fullykräusened 3 days 14 min ago (view)

Like the other posters, I don't post often, but have enjoyed Arizona Phil and crunch (who was right about Jason Heyward :) ). I am grateful for all the work that has gone into maintaining the site, and whatever you want to do to make it work is okay with me!

• Cubster 3 days 4 hours ago (view)

Chiming in that TCR is still a major part of my daily Cub routine and has always been my browser homepage. The site contains much love for AZ Phil and his subtle sense of humor as the war correspondent for the Arizona Scoring Service.

"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"

• Hagsag 3 days 7 hours ago (view)

Thank you forTCR, and it is the first site I check daily. Please keep it going.

• Karl Pagel Blues 3 days 9 hours ago (view)

Thank you for this site. It's the first one I turn to every single day. There may be other sites with more daily content, but there's only one TCR. Again, a big thank you to everyone actively contributing here!

• crunch 3 days 14 hours ago (view)

no matter the future, i've learned a whole lot being here and i'm still learning.  phil's post earlier with the end-season instructs stats is a great example of this.  lots of love for the team, the farm system, and the game here.

also, it looks like dusty's crew is 3 outs away from going to the WS with 5 runs to cushion.

• George Altman 3 days 16 hours ago (view)

Please keep it going if at all possible. No other Cubs website compares. I've spent 15 years with AZ Phil, Crunch, Cubster. Don't want to see that end.

• Alexander Dimm 3 days 18 hours ago (view)

Like the others, I don't post often, and it's not the only Cubs baseball site I read.  However, it is the first site I read each day and if I only read one, this is it.  I hope you can hang in there.

Cubs baseball will be a little less fun without TCR.