Cubs 2008 Comebacks

I can't say I'm feeling too confident about tonight's game, but for the few hours between now and game time, I'm just going to keep playing these clips over and over and hoping the Cubs have another comeback left in them this season.

The first one isn't a comeback, but Rich Harden ()

Cubs overcome an ()

Daryle Ward to give Cubs lead in the 9th ( & )

Ramirez ( & )

Soto ( & )

Go Cubs Go!

Comments

oh yes, I remember back when the Cubs used to be good...

!!!!!Spoiler alert!!!!! Cubs are going to win today.

I know we're not really thinking this far ahead yet, but what are the chances the Cubs resign Harden? I assume he'd otherwise hit the FA market after this year, right?

Team option on Harden for '09, no? I think after that, it will depend largely on Harden's health, whether Dempster is back and effective, and what roles Hill and Marshall have. Also depends on whether the Cubs sign anyone to a multi-year contract this offseason--I'm thinking Derek Lowe would be a good target, and I'd stay far away from both Sheets and Sabathia (for the money he's gonna get).

I'd love to have Harden and Dempster again. Also to be fair I don't give a crap about the Cubs' corporate spending, I would take CC as a free agent in a heartbeat. In fact just sign CC and Manny and call it a world series victory (and a $200 million dollar summer).

Are you counting on Soriano or Manny moving to right field? Or does Hendry somehow manage to trade Soriano or move him back to 2B? Just imagine a Soriano, KFuk, Manny outfield. Now that is a defensive nightmare. If it were a matter just of the corporation digging a littler deeper, then wonderful. Sign CC, Lowe, Sheets, and Furcal. But considering that there is likely to be a limit on how much they spend, regardless of who they sign, I think CC is too big a risk on a big contract, and the same for Sheets and Burnett.

It would be a little rough but I could deal with Soriano in RF. He has a good arm and if it meant having Manny's bat I would do that. But aside from Fuk/Pie/Edmonds/Johnson in center you are damn right there would be some UGLY defense at times. But I'll concede that the Cubs could never afford Manny and CC, SOOOOO: As far as CC I would die to have that guy, even with the risk that the Brewers just ruined his arm. At any cost. He seems like a horse and is definitely a gamer. Who wouldn't want to add him to their rotation? I think he would be more valuable than any other Free Agent this year 2009 or next 2010 for the Cubs.

My concerns about Sabathia's health aren't solely due to the fact that he's thrown more pitches this year than anyone else. He's also a 6'7" power pitcher with most of his weight in his gut. That's asking for back problems, and if he loses some miles per hour will he still be worth the money? I could easily be wrong--he could stay healthy for years. But I'm concerned nonetheless. I believe saying Soriano would be "rough" in right field is a bit of an understatement. I mean, he's rough in left field. But, yes, a lineup with Lee, Rammy, Soriano, Manny, and Soto would be ridiculous. Lefties would especially quake in their boots.

I'd resign both Redster and Harden. They'd be effective bullpen arms even if the rotation experiments fail.

I think it'd be hard to move Dempster back to the bullpen any time in 09 after the 08 he's had. Harden would only be moved to the bullpen because of arm issues, like Wood. I can't imagine the Cubs turning down Harden's option for 09 unless he's really hurt.

Tonight's a crapshoot. If the Cubs find themselves and get off the mat tonight I say they win the series. If they can't crawl out of the hole and regain some inkling of what they know they can be it could be a boring 2-0 or 3-1 loss. (I think that Harden and Lilly can win in LA. But weirdly enough the specter of October Night Games in Wrigley still give me the creeps -- though I think if the Cubs can get it back to Wrigley they will win with a nice performance by Z and the deflated Dodgers if it plays out that way. But regarding Wrigley Nights in October, it just doesn't work for me, does anyone else feel that? I wish the Cubs played more day games in the playoffs . . . something is just not right about it. And I'm not talking traditionalism or curses, just the vibe and intensity of the crowd and the cold. It's claustrophobic)

Last Cubs post-season game I attended in person: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/C... I'm going tonight...

I was at that Game, CA PHIL!! Bought the ticket from an on-duty Cop!

My brother won a lottery of regular season bleacher bums. Sat in LF (which is where I'll be tonight -- albeit 2000 miles west) but a good omen nevertheless.

I'm partly optomistic 1000 percent. It ain't the offseason yet. Cubs don't need to come back in tonight's game yet, it's 0-0. Harden's last 10 starts, 5-0, 1.99 ERA. Go win a game. Please go win a game, you chokin', ef-in' dogs.

Hardnen has a $7M team option, but can demand a trade if he wants. Even if Cubs don't pick up his option, he's still under 6 years of service time so Cubs would retain his rights.

95 mph+ and throwing strikes, I like our chances. Too often he's been in the low 90's lately and missing the zone badly.

light drizzle at 1:45 PM PST....

ROB G: Any way you can make mobile posts from the game?

I'm sure there is, but not sure what I could tell you that you won't see on TBS.

But I don't really have Twitter or anything like that set-up now anyway....

I don't know why, but CC reminds me a little of Bartolo Colon at this stage in his career - overweight, tons of mileage on his arm, I think I'll pass.

I think Big ERA Z is the better comp for Colon. But in the history of baseball the only long term pitching FA contract I can recall that worked out for the team was Maddux. Maybe I am missing one (Cone?), but pretty much if you give a six year deal to a pitcher, you're going to get burned on at least one, and likely three of those years.

How about the 6/75 deal that the Redsox gave Pedro in '98. They got one of the best six consective season runs by a SP in the history of baseball, including two seasons of sub 2 ERA's in a DH league in the midst of steroid era.

Mark it down: Cubs 4, Dodgers 1

Cubs 72, Dodgers -1

real life just called, think I'm going to miss recapping tonight's game. :( I promise I'll recap tomorrow's, instead.

I think the game recaps need to be retired for 2008. Everytime its been done in the playoffs the result is a Cubs lose. Infact, I think the infield F'd so bad in the second was because they were all thinking, "Gee I wonder whats going on in Parachat, I cant wait for Tran's recap tonight".

That's a heck of a promise.

Show a little faith, There's magic in the night.

word on espn news is that fontenot at 2nd derosa in right

• Arizona Phil 13 hours 13 min ago (view)

In addition to 40 players signed to 2020 MLB contracts, after releasing 22 minor leaguers this week the Cubs now have 279 players signed to 2020 minor league contracts (plus one minor leaguer on the Restricted List), for a total of 320 players in the organization (181 pitchers, 30 catchers, 60 infielders, and 49 outfielders).

• JustSayin' 22 hours 27 min ago (view)

Years of over-drafting pitching shown here.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 16 min ago (view)

Some of the players cut I am not too surprised by. Some of them I think are definitely victims of the minor league pay thing and being squeezed out.

That said, I am very surprised they gave up already on Riley McCauley and Niels Stone.

• Hagsag 1 day 1 hour ago (view)

Baseball America is showing a big group of players that have been released.

• Arizona Phil 1 day 15 hours ago (view)

The Cubs have released minor league catcher Rafelin Lorenzo. He was selected from the Pittsburgh Pirates in the AAA Phase of the 2018 Rule 5 Draft and spent the 2019 season at South Bend. He was eligible to be a minor league 6YFA post-2020.

• JustSayin' 3 days 47 min ago (view)

The organizations will cut rosters down, as if the full-season teams were breaking camp to start the season, THEN pay the remaining minor leaguers $400/week or whatever.  That's similar to what costs would have normally been but the "one last chance" players who got spring training invitations this year and didn't have an obvious roster spot won't be getting their last chance.

• crunch 3 days 2 hours ago (view)

"According to Jeff Passan of ESPN, all minor league players will be receiving $400 per week from MLB through at least May 31."

so that's where that promise landed.  the scary thing is that's still more than some in the low minors make on a weekly basis.

• crunch 5 days 18 hours ago (view)

"Jeff Passan of ESPN writes that the players and league agreed that the 2020 season won't start until "there are no bans on mass gatherings that limit the ability to play in front of fans, there are no travel restrictions and medical experts determine games will not pose a risk to health of teams and fans." Passan does add that the two sides "will consider the feasibility of playing in empty stadiums" and also at neutral sites.

• crunch 6 days 30 min ago (view)

i miss baseball.  it could happen in june...it may happen in late may...it might not happen either way.

there's so many things getting messed up right now i would get lost making a list.  there's some college guys making a serious "okay, we need to look at that guy" push that's dead.  former cubs draft pick russell smith (2017, LHP highschool) took last season off for injury (TCU college) and returned with a low 90s fastball, impressive control, and a MLB-quality changeup.  his "comeback" was 4 games and done thanks to this current situation...

• JustSayin' 6 days 2 hours ago (view)

COVID 19 + a short draft + Manfred's obsessive drive to shrink the minor leagues will change baseball forever.  It WAS still America's grass roots sport.  Where I live, from June through August, you could see a quality live game any day of the week, within an hour's drive.  I believe that era is over.  What's going on will have ripple effects, contracting serious college ball, college summer leagues and independent pro ball just as much as the MiLB systems.  With those changes, some of the game's charm will also go.  I've seen a kid from Cape Cod play in the Ca

• crunch 1 week 41 min ago (view)

fyi for anyone who bought MLB.tv

for "some reason" getting a cancel+refund via phone is like pulling teeth, but if you contact them via a webpage contact request many people are getting a cancel+refund confirmation within an hour or 2...

• bradsbeard 1 week 8 hours ago (view)

I imagine because the new labor agreement freezes rosters as of whenever the agreement is approved by the owners and it might affect what those guys are paid under the agreement.

• Hagsag 1 week 10 hours ago (view)

AZ Phil. what was the reason that a whole bunch of teams optioned or assigned players to the minor leagues yesterday on March 26 ? Thanks.

• Arizona Phil 1 week 13 hours ago (view)

jdrnym: Ordinarily, players on an MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) who are on Optional Assignment to the minors do not accrue MLB Service Time, are paid at the minor league rate rather than at the MLB rate if the player has a "split" contract, and if the player gets hurt or becomes sick after being optioned, he can be placed on a minor league IL instead of on an MLB IL (so that he cannot accrue MLB Service Time or be paid at the MLB rate while he is on the IL). Also, a player who is optioned to the minors for at least 20 days will burn an option year.

• jdrnym 1 week 1 day ago (view)

AZPhil, what are the technical ramifications of optioning/not optioning guys during this period of no baseball? Seems like some teams are more eager than others to trim their roster down.

• crunch 1 week 2 days ago (view)

"Major League Baseball has agreed with the MLBPA to grant a full year of service time to players in 2020 regardless of how many games the schedule includes.

Rosenthal adds, however, that the two sides have agreed to "table discussions" on how much service time the players would receive if the worst-case scenario plays out and the 2020 season has to be canceled entirely due to the coronavirus pandemic."

---