And The New Cubs Closer Is....

Gordon Wittenmyer has been named the Cubs closer to start the season. While everyone that owns Carlos Marmol in their fantasy league throws their mouse across the room, it's for the Cubs...for now. A few blown saves by Gregg and I doubt that Lou will hesitate to flip roles.

The Indians roll into Mesa today with Mark DeRosa and Kerry Wood in tow and here's the Cubs'.

LF Alfonso Soriano, SS Ryan Theriot, 1B Derrek Lee, RF Milton Bradley,
3B Aramis Ramirez, 2B Mike Fontenot, C Geovany Soto, CF Joey Gathright
and P Ted Lilly.

Comments

I understand Scott Eyre is broke

Umm... posting a major Cubs news story on the front page is not a 3/44 or Scott Eyre moment.

Crap, I drafted Gregg for holds, but now I can't use him.

Sweet. Good choice. Now just pick So Taguchi for that final spot and all is good.

Marmolaide seems unhappy... http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/1712 "Disappointed, yeah, of course it is," Marmol said of the situation, which he seemed to think was preordained. "I can't control this." Marmol pitched for the Dominican Republic in the WBC but said he didn't feel that didn't make any difference. "They knew what (they were going) to do before I got here," he said. "That's what I said when I said it was not 'competition

"Marmol did admit, though, that the decision was good for the team." Yep, and that's really all that matters, dude.

18th round 213th pick Gregg, Kevin (CHN) ;)

My fantasy team thanks Lou... and Rob, I may be willing to trade you Villanueva now. :)

offer still stands or counter-offer if you wish...

yea... i am thinking about it...

I really like this decision -- it's the one that, if it's a mistake, is correctable. If Gregg doesn't perform, it's easy enough just to flip-flop him with Marmol. But if Marmol was named the starter and didn't perform, it would be much more complicated -- and Marmol's development could be stunted.

Yeah, really no downside to this move. If Gregg does decent, he likely becomes a Type A free agent and we get 2 picks for him or if all the young guys in the pen pitch like there capable of maybe we could move him to an AL team for prospects or an injury stop gap if we need one at the deadline. If he sucks just flip him back with Marmol.

this one is as surprising as bonds being linked to PEDs...dunno why anyone buys into the false competitions of spring sometimes. besides, i couldnt imagine lou only wanting to use marmol for 50 games or so...he seems to have a thing for him.

Solid move. As I said before, Marmol is probably the better pitcher, but Gregg has experience with the closer psychology.

Also, loving the lineup with Theriot batting second. He'll do great there.

• First.Pitch.120 6 hours 37 min ago (view)

I did 3/4 of a PhD in Ames, IA... no need to apologize. That's time that can jade anybody. The best parts of my years there were 1) Cubs on local AM radio (pre cell network streaming) so I could listen to them on a run, and 2) being able to go see the I-cubs whenever I wanted. Was at a game there on July 4, 2007 & I saw a guy sitting 1 section over, a couple rows up and I thought "that looks like Barack Obama". Turns out it was the whole Obama family... Gotta love IA in a pre-caucus year.

• Mike Wellman 9 hours 42 min ago (view)

Magic # = 7 after Colin Rea labors to 13th win vs. baby Brewers (at expense of Jimmy Nelson) & Memphis loses. No sign of Zobrist. Almora runs hitting streak to 2 games. Jim Adduci = a pro’s pro; guy’s a ball player by trade...

• crunch 18 hours 15 min ago (view)

paul dejong (STL) took out the M in  the "BIG MAC LAND" sign @STL with a big HR...lights went out on the letter and everything.  epic-ish.

• crunch 18 hours 22 min ago (view)

i know bote will be back in a couple weeks, but dude has been hitting damn well since mid-july after having a big june/july slump.

• Eric S 18 hours 28 min ago (view)

David Bote sent down to Iowa today prior to Cishek’s activation off the IL tomorrow — nice of the Cubs do their part to help the I-Cubs down the stretch

• Cubster 19 hours 19 min ago (view)

And the Brewers are being no hit by Hudson thru 6.

• crunch 20 hours 32 min ago (view)

never really considered how that might be cool for people used to seeing those midwest fields as an everyday occurance.  in the south-east US you rarely see the vastly massive acerage of farm-against-farm-against-farm-etc...

also, i spent a good amount of time out in corn fields in ames, iowa in my last job.  everyone wanted to go work the research fields in hawaii, but we always ended up in iowa.

• Sonicwind75 22 hours 8 min ago (view)

Hey, I'm pretty excited about the Field of Dreams game.  I grew up on a farm in middle of nowhere Iowa and my brother and I spent a lot of time trying to hit baseballs into a corn field.  I'm seriously considering coming back next summer from Texas to go to that game if prices aren't super stupid expensive.  Added bonus, I won't have to listen to A-Rod and Mendoza ignorantly discussing corn and no, you don't eat field corn like you would sweet corn.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 10 hours ago (view)

That is truly staggering. Shame on the rest of the Central that we are only one loss behind the pissboys, we should have been buried by now with that kind of stat.

• crunch 1 day 18 hours ago (view)

...and strop gives up a hit then walks the bases loaded.

...and he closes it out with a K.  neat.

this is the 1st cubs road series win since May 17-19 @WAS.

• crunch 1 day 18 hours ago (view)

strop comes in to get the last out, but it has to be some kinda slow-walk back in a game that wasn't a save situation.

homer, hbp, k, k...looks healthy.

• crunch 1 day 18 hours ago (view)

welcome back kimbrel.

1st pitch goes about 10 miles outside the park by marte.

• crunch 1 day 19 hours ago (view)

one takeaway from this game...a slew of cubs players were fans of Hey Arnold! when they were kids.

• crunch 1 day 20 hours ago (view)

woo, a good cubs away game.

• crunch 1 day 22 hours ago (view)

heyward / cast / bryant / rizzo / baez / schwarb / caratini / kemp(2nd) / Q

• crunch 1 day 23 hours ago (view)

so stoked for the williamsport game.

the increasing amount of off-site games is a bit concerning (middle of nowhere Field of Dreams field, really?), but I love this one.  it's played out great so far and giving the kids playing in the LL series some primo seats (hope this continues) is a great touch.