A's Drop Cubs at Papago
The EXST A's defeated the EXST Cubs 6-1 in Extended Spring Training action at Field #2 at the Papago Baseball Complex in Phoenix this morning.
RHP Jon Nagel got the start, and struggled with his command for his second start in a row (and the lart one was one the exact same field, too). He managed to get through his pre-scheduled three innings, but it took him 56 pitches (only 33 strikes) to do it.
The Cubs offense was sluggish today, only scoring one run, a two-out RBI single grounded through the box into CF by John Contreras that scored Hak-Ju Lee from 2nd base.
Lee was the only Cub to have as many as two hits today, one an infield hit and one a bunt single, giving the 18-year old Korean bonus baby a chance to show off his blazing speed.
Also, Matt Cerda reached base three times, the first time on a double hammered off the left-field fence, and the other two times on walks.
Most Extended Spring Training games are interesting and some are even down-right exciting, but this one was real clunker. Fortunately there were only four civilians in attendance, although only one of us stayed for the entire game.
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Jose Valdez, CF: 0-4 (5-3, 6-3, P-1, 4-3)
2. Hak-Ju Lee, SS-DH: 2-4 (L-8, 1B, 1B, 3-U + 1 R, 1 SB)
3. Matt Cerda, DH #2: 1-2 (2B, 4-3 GIDP, BB, BB)
4. John Contreras, 1B: 1-4 (4-3, E-7, 1B, 6-4 FC + 1 RBI)
5. Sean Hoorelbeke, LF: 0-3 (K, BB, F-8, 6-3)
6. Logan Watkins, 2B: 0-3 (3-U, K, 5-3)
7. Dwayne Kemp, 3B: 1-3 (P-4, 1B, K)
8. Juan Medina, C: 1-3 (1B, 1-6-3 GIDP, 5-3 + 1 SB)
9. Jesus Morelli, RF: 0-3 (K, P-3, 5-3)
10. Robert Bautista, DH-SS: 0-3 (P-6, F-9, K)
1. Jon Nagel - 3.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 4/2 GO/FO
2. Miguel Sierra - 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 2 GIDP, 4/2 GO/FO
3. Josh Whitlock - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/0 GO/FO
4. Yohan Gonzalez - 1.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/FO
5. Ryan Sontag - 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/2 GO/FO
1. 2B Logan Watkins - ball bounced out of his glove, allowing batter to reach base safely, and eventually resulting in unearned run to score.
2. 3B Dawyne Kemp - errant throw allowed batter to reach base safely, eventually resulting in unearned run.
3. 1B John Contreras - pick-off attempt bounced off his glove, allowing runner to take 2nd base.
4. CF Jose Valez - ball caromed off his glove into right-centerfield on line drive single to center, allowing batter to take 2nd.
Juan Medina - 1 PB
WEATHER: Hot & Sunny, tempersature in the mid 90's, headed for 100+
Hagsag 6 hours 43 min ago (view)
Is AZ Phil okay?
crunch 9 hours 2 min ago (view)
gene clines has died.
he was with the organization on/off for a notable amount of time as both a player and coach.
crunch 2 days 5 hours ago (view)
sammy sosa off the HOF ballot after 10 years. he finishes up with a 18.5% vote, highest in any year.
crunch 2 days 7 hours ago (view)
cubs sign 31 year old eric yardley to a minor league deal.
he's a 31 year old righty that throws sub-90mph junk.
Sonicwind75 2 days 9 hours ago (view)
Thank you for sharing Mike. Sounds like the former owner was a high character human being and should be celebrated. Haven't had a chance to attend a game there since I moved away from Des Moines in 2007 but recall it being a great ballpark experience. Has there been any word of the new owners making any major changes?
crunch 5 days 3 hours ago (view)
a 22 month old.
a'ite. i'm done with Earth. going to Pluto. don't bother visiting or calling. later.
Cubster 1 week 1 day ago (view)
Jason Schmidt signs with Dodgers, 3/44.
crunch 1 week 1 day ago (view)
20 year, 800m contract incoming...front loaded 150m over the first 2 years with a player opt out after that...
videographer 1 week 1 day ago (view)
Darth Vader to rescue Carlos Correa's bruised ego.
crunch 1 week 1 day ago (view)
carlos correa has hired scott boras...
bradsbeard 1 week 2 days ago (view)
The IFA market isn't exactly an equal access thing. Not only do the Cubs have a slightly smaller bonus pool than some teams, players are often linked to teams through their trainers well before they are able to sign. It's not like when these kids are 14 that the teams know for sure that they have a top of the class player on their hands two years in the future.
Wrigley Rat 1 week 2 days ago (view)
Cubbies.4ever - I read that the Cubs strategy with international free agents has been to spend most of their bonus money on young, position players and then take chances on cheaper, older pitching prospects who have been late bloomers (taller, stronger, more command of pitches, etc.). They are also grabbing guys at the end of the international signing period and signing them to future service contracts. They have six pitchers that were signed last year to future service contracts, and only one position player.
cubbies.4ever 1 week 2 days ago (view)
Cubs IFA Signings are heavy on SS (given SS usually can play many positions as the develop), but only 1 pitcher. Given it's still early. Also disappointing that their best signing is #18. Gone are the days of Soler, Eloy, Torres, Marquez, Amaya etc. I believe Christian Hernandez last year was highly rated though.
Wrigley Rat 1 week 3 days ago (view)
One more international free agent signing announced today: Daniel Benschop, OF, Aruba
bradsbeard 1 week 3 days ago (view)
I hope all is well with AZ Phil. Hasn't posted in a few weeks and typically would expect him to have a post up tracking IFA signings. Maybe he's waiting for something official from the Cubs (who don't seem to have announced any of the signings officially)?