A's Drop Cubs at Papago
The EXST A's defeated the EXST Cubs 6-1 in Extended Spring Training action at Field #2 at the Papago Baseball Complex in Phoenix this morning.
RHP Jon Nagel got the start, and struggled with his command for his second start in a row (and the lart one was one the exact same field, too). He managed to get through his pre-scheduled three innings, but it took him 56 pitches (only 33 strikes) to do it.
The Cubs offense was sluggish today, only scoring one run, a two-out RBI single grounded through the box into CF by John Contreras that scored Hak-Ju Lee from 2nd base.
Lee was the only Cub to have as many as two hits today, one an infield hit and one a bunt single, giving the 18-year old Korean bonus baby a chance to show off his blazing speed.
Also, Matt Cerda reached base three times, the first time on a double hammered off the left-field fence, and the other two times on walks.
Most Extended Spring Training games are interesting and some are even down-right exciting, but this one was real clunker. Fortunately there were only four civilians in attendance, although only one of us stayed for the entire game.
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Jose Valdez, CF: 0-4 (5-3, 6-3, P-1, 4-3)
2. Hak-Ju Lee, SS-DH: 2-4 (L-8, 1B, 1B, 3-U + 1 R, 1 SB)
3. Matt Cerda, DH #2: 1-2 (2B, 4-3 GIDP, BB, BB)
4. John Contreras, 1B: 1-4 (4-3, E-7, 1B, 6-4 FC + 1 RBI)
5. Sean Hoorelbeke, LF: 0-3 (K, BB, F-8, 6-3)
6. Logan Watkins, 2B: 0-3 (3-U, K, 5-3)
7. Dwayne Kemp, 3B: 1-3 (P-4, 1B, K)
8. Juan Medina, C: 1-3 (1B, 1-6-3 GIDP, 5-3 + 1 SB)
9. Jesus Morelli, RF: 0-3 (K, P-3, 5-3)
10. Robert Bautista, DH-SS: 0-3 (P-6, F-9, K)
1. Jon Nagel - 3.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 4/2 GO/FO
2. Miguel Sierra - 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 2 GIDP, 4/2 GO/FO
3. Josh Whitlock - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/0 GO/FO
4. Yohan Gonzalez - 1.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/FO
5. Ryan Sontag - 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/2 GO/FO
1. 2B Logan Watkins - ball bounced out of his glove, allowing batter to reach base safely, and eventually resulting in unearned run to score.
2. 3B Dawyne Kemp - errant throw allowed batter to reach base safely, eventually resulting in unearned run.
3. 1B John Contreras - pick-off attempt bounced off his glove, allowing runner to take 2nd base.
4. CF Jose Valez - ball caromed off his glove into right-centerfield on line drive single to center, allowing batter to take 2nd.
Juan Medina - 1 PB
WEATHER: Hot & Sunny, tempersature in the mid 90's, headed for 100+
Arizona Phil 3 sec ago (view)
The Cardinals have to play the doubleheader on Monday at Detroit if either the games impact who or who does not get into the playoffs, or if the games will determine whether the Cards or Cubs finish 1st in the division and get home field advantage in the Wild Card series.
So the Cards go to Detroit on Monday either because they have not yet qualified for the post-season, or if the Cubs haven't clinched 1st place by the end of play on Sunday and STL still has a chance to finish 1st in the Central and play at home in the Wild Card series.
Charlie 1 hour 4 min ago (view)
Maybe he should stick with it for a while.
Hagsag 5 hours 15 min ago (view)
Cardinals have two games left with Detroit, not the Cubs.
blockhead25 10 hours 56 min ago (view)
Ahh, 2 games against the Tigers, but seems to imply they'd only play those games if it will impact which teams make the playoffs. If the Cardinals win their last 2, I don't believe the other games could impact which Team makes it. Why would Detroit have any incentive to win those games? Well, hope the Cubs won one of the next 2 so it doesn't matter.
crunch 11 hours 42 min ago (view)
yeah, it may be another team. i just know they have a possible monday double header...unless i got that wrong, too.
blockhead25 12 hours 13 min ago (view)
Cubs? We played the cards the full 10 slate?
if Cards make playoffs, I would think they'd want nothing to do with having to play a double header Monday to improve playoff seeding.
crunch 12 hours 20 min ago (view)
the cubs may or may not have to play a doubleheader vs STL on monday depending on the next game or 2...i think
blockhead25 12 hours 23 min ago (view)
How did the Cubs not just clinch the division?
Aren't the Cards only scheduled for 58 games?
beat Cards can do is 31-27. Worst Cubs can do is 33-27.
crunch 12 hours 42 min ago (view)
j.baez is batting left handed...and hits a double.
CWS have a position player "pitching"
crunch 12 hours 45 min ago (view)
2nd contreras homer...no bat flip, no staring down the pitcher, quick trip around the bases, into the dugout.
crunch 12 hours 45 min ago (view)
i wish more non-AFL winter league was televised. dominican, puerto rico, etc...you can straight up showboat if you've earned it on a play without having to deal with retaliation (most of the time). bat flips, pitcher celebrations, swagger home run trots, etc...all fair game. it's you know...fun.
Craig A. 13 hours 9 min ago (view)
Plunking a guy for a bat flip only proves the pitcher has thin skin and short fingers. I'm glad Contreras scored.
Cubster 13 hours 24 min ago (view)
I goofed wrt Bluejays/Astros. They clinched a WC #2 and 8 seed but Houston has a lock on West div team 2. The Indians will be 7 seed and wild card #1, abd team #3 from the central
crunch 13 hours 25 min ago (view)
hey, guess who just got a fastball in the back.
crunch 14 hours 14 min ago (view)
that contreras bat flip, tho...
Cubster 15 hours 43 min ago (view)
Cards lose game 1 of DH w Brewers