A's Drop Cubs at Papago
The EXST A's defeated the EXST Cubs 6-1 in Extended Spring Training action at Field #2 at the Papago Baseball Complex in Phoenix this morning.
RHP Jon Nagel got the start, and struggled with his command for his second start in a row (and the lart one was one the exact same field, too). He managed to get through his pre-scheduled three innings, but it took him 56 pitches (only 33 strikes) to do it.
The Cubs offense was sluggish today, only scoring one run, a two-out RBI single grounded through the box into CF by John Contreras that scored Hak-Ju Lee from 2nd base.
Lee was the only Cub to have as many as two hits today, one an infield hit and one a bunt single, giving the 18-year old Korean bonus baby a chance to show off his blazing speed.
Also, Matt Cerda reached base three times, the first time on a double hammered off the left-field fence, and the other two times on walks.
Most Extended Spring Training games are interesting and some are even down-right exciting, but this one was real clunker. Fortunately there were only four civilians in attendance, although only one of us stayed for the entire game.
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Jose Valdez, CF: 0-4 (5-3, 6-3, P-1, 4-3)
2. Hak-Ju Lee, SS-DH: 2-4 (L-8, 1B, 1B, 3-U + 1 R, 1 SB)
3. Matt Cerda, DH #2: 1-2 (2B, 4-3 GIDP, BB, BB)
4. John Contreras, 1B: 1-4 (4-3, E-7, 1B, 6-4 FC + 1 RBI)
5. Sean Hoorelbeke, LF: 0-3 (K, BB, F-8, 6-3)
6. Logan Watkins, 2B: 0-3 (3-U, K, 5-3)
7. Dwayne Kemp, 3B: 1-3 (P-4, 1B, K)
8. Juan Medina, C: 1-3 (1B, 1-6-3 GIDP, 5-3 + 1 SB)
9. Jesus Morelli, RF: 0-3 (K, P-3, 5-3)
10. Robert Bautista, DH-SS: 0-3 (P-6, F-9, K)
1. Jon Nagel - 3.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 4/2 GO/FO
2. Miguel Sierra - 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 2 GIDP, 4/2 GO/FO
3. Josh Whitlock - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/0 GO/FO
4. Yohan Gonzalez - 1.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/FO
5. Ryan Sontag - 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/2 GO/FO
1. 2B Logan Watkins - ball bounced out of his glove, allowing batter to reach base safely, and eventually resulting in unearned run to score.
2. 3B Dawyne Kemp - errant throw allowed batter to reach base safely, eventually resulting in unearned run.
3. 1B John Contreras - pick-off attempt bounced off his glove, allowing runner to take 2nd base.
4. CF Jose Valez - ball caromed off his glove into right-centerfield on line drive single to center, allowing batter to take 2nd.
Juan Medina - 1 PB
WEATHER: Hot & Sunny, tempersature in the mid 90's, headed for 100+
crunch 7 hours 24 min ago (view)
kevin rizzo is in camp with the cubs and is in workouts with the team.
very tiny guy, no power, but he can run down a ball in the field and he's almost impossible to pitch to. time to give him a contract and put him in the OF.
crunch 8 hours 4 min ago (view)
Marquee has added a tuesday game, so now the first televised cubs game is March 2nd (3pm EST)
Arizona Phil 17 hours 54 min ago (view)
The DFA of Robert Stock to make room for Kyle Ryan coming off the CoViD-related IL wil need to be followed by removing another player on the 40 to make room for Ryan Tepera.
It's possible somebody (like a pitcher) is injured to the extent that he might be placed on the 60-day IL, or else maybe somebody else will go on the CoViD-related IL (which is 40-man roster exempt) in the coming days to make room for Tepera.
Arizona Phil 18 hours 29 min ago (view)
The Cubs have signed LHSP Ben Holmes (ex-LAD) and RHRP Jose Moreno (ex-NYM) to 2021 minor league contracts. Both were post-2020 minor league 6YFA and neither has been on an MLB 40-man roster.
Holmes pitched collegiately at Oregon State and has some AAA experience, but Moreno hasn't pitched above Lo-A over the course of seven seasons in the Mets organization.
crunch 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
side note...k.wong is on 1st putting on one of those "baserunning mitts" (hand protection for sliding) that's extending past the length of his hand/fingers by at least 2-3 inches.
they're going to have to start regulating this piece of equipment if this keeps up...
crunch 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
Q with LAA in his debut for them...HBP, a wild pitch, and BB through 7 pitches...then 3 pop-outs to follow.
blah blah spring training...
baseball on TV...neat.
First.Pitch.120 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
We just traded for Maddux!!! ......... nope, the other one.
crunch 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
yeah, i'm just saying i did consider piling onto it with a troll-level post about the trade...it's practically asking to be written that way.
jeff passan did it quite well... https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/136577746706...
that said, i had no idea zach bryant existed before today, but his early numbers looked oddly good (which means nothing without context that early in his career).
Charlie 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
Oh, I mean the trade. You were quite diligent in posting!
crunch 2 days 1 hour ago (view)
i contemplated writing the post totally trolled out as hell with "zach" coming after a wall of text.
i decided the cubs being cheap was enough pre-season punishment without piling on.
Charlie 2 days 2 hours ago (view)
This is a straight up troll
crunch 2 days 3 hours ago (view)
rsox aquiring ZACH bryant from the cubs.
ptbn from the josh osich deal.
totally useless trade...hopefully not a terrible loss.
Hagsag 3 days 4 hours ago (view)
Chase Strumpf and Andy Weber invited to the ML camp.
Dolorous Jon Lester 3 days 10 hours ago (view)
Ryan Tepera returns. Major League deal
crunch 4 days 8 hours ago (view)
spring training TV is usually fluid...adding and subtracting broadcast games...
first cubs TV (as of now) is March 3 (wednesday) on ESPN at 3pm EST.
radio broadcasts available for almost every game that's not televised. the cubs get going on monday and some other teams will start the day before.
crunch 5 days 4 hours ago (view)
dj snelton's left elbow is screwed up...6 weeks rest then re-evaluate.
looks like he's going to try to avoid having surgery.