The Cubs All-Star History
As much as I dread the current All-Star break, I was a fan once upon a time. Back before interleague play, having kids and cable television, the Midsummer Classic was a guilty pleasure to get a chance to see how our Cubbies did against the best of the best.
So part of the glacially-paced Wiklifield project, I put together this page that slices and dices the Cubs All-Star appearances. Some fun facts after the jump...
- You'll often hear about Ernie Banks being a 14-time All-Star, which is true...in a sense. He only made the All-Star team in 11 seasons, but between 1959 and 1962, they played two All-Star games separated anywhere from two days to a month. Banks got an extra game in 1959, 1960 and 1962.
- Not only does Banks lead in Cubs All-Star appearances, he also leads Cubs shortstops and Cubs first basemen in appearances. I like to use the season counter rather than double counting for 1959-1962, so I just consider Banks to have made 11 All-Stars, but he made 7 as a SS, one more than Don Kessinger and 4 as a 1B, one more than Mark Grace and Phil Cavarretta, although Grace technically started at DH in 1993.
- The only Cub pitcher to ever start an All-Star game? Claude Passeau in 1946. He's tied for the most All-Star appearances for a Cubs pitcher at 4 with Bruce Sutter. Carlos Zambrano needs one more selection to tie them.
- Speaking of Sutter, he pitched three of the four times he selected, and threw 5.2 scoreless innings with a win and two saves. Randy Myers has the only other Cub save and Lee Smith threw three innings in 1987 in a 13-inning game for the win.
- A Cub has hit a home run in the All-Star game on seven different occasions - Augie Galan in 1936, Hank Sauer in 1952, Ernie Banks in 1960, George Altman in 1961, Billy Williams in 1964, Andre Dawson in 1991 and Alfonso Soriano in 2007.
- Ryne Sandberg is second in All-Star appearances with 10 behind Banks and first in starts with 9...first in 1984 and then 1986-1993, including being the top vote-getter from 1990-1992. The one year he didn't start - 1985 - Tommy Herr got the start.
- The only other Cub to be top vote-getter was Sammy Sosa in 1999.
- Ted Lilly was the 192nd Cub to be named to an All-Star team...if I counted right.
Jackstraw 13 min 56 sec ago (view)
I'm trying to come up with scenarios where saying "The problem I have with you people....." really helps the conversation move forward constructively. None really jump to mind.
crunch 32 min 9 sec ago (view)
i still want proof that tom ricketts and ted cruz aren't the same person
Cubster 2 hours 27 min ago (view)
Tom's older brother is an ass, even with an embarrassing apology.
Here is the twitter video from Pastor Jarrod Parker:
Cubster 10 hours 36 min ago (view)
I agree. Laura is the real deal. I think she was the major influence that showed Tom R. and Crane Kenney how to show a "human side" and deal realistically and in a non-threatening way, with the local Chicago politicians. Kenney was clearly clueless in his initial attempts regarding the neighborhood, the Rooftop owners, and the Wrigley Field rebuild.
Hagsag 11 hours 32 min ago (view)
I am a Laura Ricketts fan. To hell with the rest of them.
crunch 19 hours 50 min ago (view)
some higher-end high school kids not expected to go very early in the draft are taking themselves out of the draft...including some top-100 ranked talent.
crunch 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
Dale Murphy @DaleMurphy3
Last night, my son was shot in the eye with a rubber bullet while peacefully protesting for justice for George Floyd. His story is not unique. Countless others have also experienced this use of excessive police force while trying to have their voices heard.
Dale Murphy @DaleMurphy3
BobbyD 1 day 6 hours ago (view)
But he has vicious dogs ready to kill the nig***. Oh wait, thugs. He's a real man.
Cubster 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
"this idea isn't a proposal at all and may actually be a measure that is forced into action by the league if the two sides can't sort out the financial details for a longer season."
MLBPA: Over our dead bodies. Followed by Trump sending in the military to force ballplayers and fans to perform like puppets on strings with fans to yell (and cough and sneezing) at the umpires. Ah, baseball before Jackie Robinson. The Trump Republican Party: Bring back the Cheating/Pandemic 1919 White only - White Sox. Say it ain't so, Joe.
Hagsag 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
Trump waiving a bible in front of the church is a total disgrace.
crunch 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
...but now there's this...
"According to ESPN's Jeff Passan, Major League Baseball views a season of around 50 games as a "last resort" option should there be no agreement with the MLBPA.
crunch 1 day 23 hours ago (view)
Jeff Passan @JeffPassan
Major League Baseball intends to propose a shorter season in which they would pay players a full prorated share of their salaries, sources told ESPN. The league believes the late March agreement allows it to set the schedule, and that this would fulfill players’ pro rata desire.
JustSayin' 2 days 5 min ago (view)
Minor League Baseball makes the cover of SI! Two years ago, I would have been elated. Today, it's depressing (like the article.)
BobbyD 2 days 3 hours ago (view)
Crunch, thanks. I can be a jerk at times, but you bailed me out. Btw I'm the whitest white boy (who grew up next to Wrigley and also worked at my dad's warehouse next to Cabrini Green). I'm truly ashamed of this president. I don't believe anyone sane wants more of him. Go Cubs!! I miss Bobby Dernier's first home run against the Padres.
Cubster 2 days 8 hours ago (view)
MLBTR has an update on the latest owner's revision proposal.
Cubster 2 days 10 hours ago (view)
'we have a donald trump problem, but he may be a highly advanced and dangerous symptom rather than the actual disease.'
Surely true, dear Crunch. Trump has emboldened the ugly fact that America's cruel underbelly is still racism and police brutality that forwards that original sin.
America NEEDS its HEROES.