Cubs Trounce Angels at Diablo Park
Bobby Wagner crushed a three-run HR off the Angels clubhouse beyond the RF fence, Charles Thomas ripped a two-run double, and Austin Kirk threw four shutout innings, leading the EXST Cubs to a 10-3 thrashing of the EXST Angels in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Diablo Park Field #3 at the Tempe Buttes this morning.
A 19-year old 6'1 LHP out of Owasso HS - Owasso, OK, Kirk (the Cubs 3rd round draft pick in 2009) allowed just two hits and a walk in his four innings of work, lowering his EXST ERA to 3.95 and his EXST WHIP to 1.39. He induced a timely inning-ending 5-4-3 GIDP to get out of the 2nd inning, and used a nifty pick-off move to erase a runner in the 3rd.
Here is today’s abridged box score (EXST Cubs players only):
1. Runey Davis, CF: 2-5 (5-3, 1B, 1B, K, P-4, R, RBI)
2. Arismendy Alcantara, 2B: 0-5 (5-3, 4-3, E-4, E-1, 5-3, 2 R, SB)
3. Jesus Morelli, RF: 1-4 (HBP, F-8, 1B, F-8, 5-3, R, RBI)
4. Charles Thomas, DH #1: 1-4 (4-U FC, 6-3, 2B, F-9, R, 2 RBI)
5. Brandon May, 3B: 2-3 (2B, F-9, BB, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
6. Bobby Wagner, 1B: 1-4 (6-3, F-9, HR, K, R, 3 RBI)
7. Albert Hernandez, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, BB, 5-3, K, R)
8. Carlos Romero, C: 0-3 (BB, 5-3, 1-3, F-8, R)
9. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (BB, F-8, 4-3, E-4, RBI)
10. Cody Shields, LF: 0-3 (F-9 SF, 3-U, K, K, RBI)
1. Austin Kirk – 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 1 GIDP, 5/5 GO/FO, 59 pitches (39 strikes)
2. Tzu-An Wang – 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 22 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Carlos Rojas – 1.1 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1/1 GO/FO, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
4. Danny Keefe - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 19 pitches (13 strikes)
5. Yohan Gonzalez – 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
SS Wes Darvill E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely – did not score)
WEATHER: sunny & cloudless with temperatures in the 80’s
bradsbeard 1 hour 23 min ago (view)
I hope all is well with AZ Phil. Hasn't posted in a few weeks and typically would expect him to have a post up tracking IFA signings. Maybe he's waiting for something official from the Cubs (who don't seem to have announced any of the signings officially)?
Cubster 4 hours 3 min ago (view)
Les Grobstein dies at age 69. Encyclopedic Chicago historian and longtime sports talk overnight radio host, plus a controversial listen. https://www.robertfeder.com/2022/01/17/les-grobstein-1952-2022/
Cubster 4 hours 16 min ago (view)
Hernandez ranks 18th on MLB's International prospect list. Sanchez ranks at #43.
Tribune article today on the Cub https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cubs/ct-chicago-cubs-alexis-hernan...
CubsCentral08 1 day 23 hours ago (view)
List is up to 12 now
Adan Sanchez, C/3B, Panama
Alexis Hernandez, SS, Dominican Republic
Jefferson Rojas, SS, Dominican Republic
Josefrailyn Alcantata, OF, Dominican Republic
Carlos Altuve, C, Venezuela
Josias Ramirez, OF, Dominican Republic
Moises Febrillet, SS, Dominican Republic
Albertina Belliard, OF, Dominican Republic
Yidel Diaz, C, Dominican Republic
Freylin Silverio, RHP, Dominican Republic
Sandy Sanchez, SS, Dominican Republic
Darlin de Leon, SS, Dominican Republic
Wrigley Rat 2 days 57 min ago (view)
In addition to those signed today, it's worth noting that seven players were signed to future-service contracts during the last international free agent signing period, and are expected to make their system-debut this coming season (most likely in the Dominican Republic). Those players are:
- RHP - Luis Angel Reyes
- LHP - Kevin Valdez
- RHP - Jensi Ramirez
- RHP - Yafrerlyn Vasquez
- RHP - Eligio Paredes
- RHP - Jair Jimenez
- OF - Edward Vargas
Wrigley Rat 2 days 57 min ago (view)
The Cubs added four more International Free Agents so far today:
- Josias Ramirez, OF, Dominican Republic
- Moises Febrillet, SS, Dominican Republic
- Albertina Belliard, OF, Dominican Republic
- Yidel Diaz, C, Dominican Republic
Wrigley Rat 2 days 59 min ago (view)
Sneak peak into the International Free Agent Signings that officially start tomorrow (Saturday):
Chicago Cubs ($5,179,700 total bonus pool) - 5 Signings (so far):
- Adan Sanchez, C/3B, Panama ($1,500,000 bonus)
- Alexis Hernandez, SS, Dominican Republic ($1,300,000 bonus)
- Jefferson Rojas, SS, Dominican Republic ($1,000,000 bonus)
- Josefrailyn Alcantata, OF, Dominican Republic
- Carlos Altuve, C, Venezuela
crunch 2 days 11 hours ago (view)
wsox snagging cuban oscar colas...23 year old high end power prospect that could slot into the majors quickly.
they're building a hell of a batting core on the south side of town.
Cubster 5 days 9 hours ago (view)
Jon Lester retires. Definitely one of the key people in their Theo era run.
crunch 5 days 21 hours ago (view)
meeting on thursday. hopefully this stuff can get done before going too deep into february.
crunch 1 week 21 hours ago (view)
yanks low-A naming rachel balkovec as manager. first female manager in the minors.
she was also the first female strength/conditioning coach and hitting coach in rookie leagues for the yanks.
crunch 1 week 2 days ago (view)
"Evan Drellich of The Athletic reports that Major League Baseball is preparing new economic proposals to present to the MLBPA, "likely this month.""
tim815 1 week 4 days ago (view)
As best as I understand, there are the 4 full-season levels with only one affiliate per organization at each level, and the compound league. Toss in the DSL, and that's it. If a team wants and can accommodate a second (or third) Compound League team, that's a decision for "later than January".
Wrigley Rat 1 week 6 days ago (view)
AZ Phil or others - Are major league teams allowed to announce new minor league affiliates for 2022 during this lockout? I ask because there was some discussion about possibly adding a short season league team for next year. Are clubs even allowed to have a 5th non-rookie league team? With all the players jammed up at the A level, it seems like it would be smart to add an additional team for them and this year's incoming draft picks. Of course, they could always just keep two Arizona teams going and it would probably be just fine. Just wondering - thanks and Happy New Year!
crunch 1 week 6 days ago (view)
cameron maybin is retiring, which saves the cubs from once again obtaining or attempting to obtain cameron maybin.
2022 looking good so far.
Cubster 2 weeks 2 days ago (view)
Welcome to 2022.
First news of the year: The Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks have reached a deal with Tyler Chatwalk! Hope they have a bigger strike zone there.