Morelli Extends Hit Streak & Huseby Returns to Mound at Fitch Park
Jesus Morelli extended his hitting streak to 16 games with a 1st inning RBI double, leading one squad of Cubs to a 5-3 victory over the Giants on Field #3, while the other squad of Giants defeated the other squad of Cubs 6-2 on Field #2, as the EXST Cubs and EXST Giants played a Memorial Day Cactus League Extended Spring training split squad doubleheader at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ. Both games were stopped after eight innings.
Making his first appearance on the mound since throwing 16 consecutive balls (no strikes) and walking all four batters he faced in a game versus the EXST Angels at Diablo Park on April 28th, RHP Chris Huseby appeared to be headed down a similar path today, throwing seven of his first eight pitches for balls, before allowing a two-run RBI triple. However, he then suddenly seemed to turn a corner, and proceeded to strike out the side on just 10 pitches (all strikes), stranding the runner at 3rd. Then after completing his one inning of work, Huseby remained in the game as a DH, grounding out 6-3 in the 3rd and reaching base on a HBP (glancing blow off his helmet) in the 5th, before heading for the clubhouse.
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
1a. Kyung-Min Na, CF: 0-2 (1-3, HBP, K, SB)
1b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED 3rd TIME THROUGH THE ORDER ALTHOUGH NA REMAINED IN CF
2. Rafael Disla, 3B: 1-4 (1B, 4-3, K, 6-4 FC, SB)
3a. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-3 (1-3, F-7, K)
3b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED 4th TIME THROUGH THE ORDER
4. Richard Jones, 1B: 1-4 (3-U, 1-3, K, 3B, R)
5. Runey Davis, LF: 2-4 (3B, 3B, 6-3, 5-3, RBI, R)
6a. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (6-3, F-7, K, RBI)
6b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED 4th TIME THROUGH THE ORDER
7. Jose Guevara, C: 0-3 (F-8, L-4, BB, 5-3)
8. Blair Springfield, 2B: 0-2 (F-7, BB, BB, K)
9. Bobby Wagner, DH #1: 0-2 (F-8, P-3, BB)
10a. Chris Huseby, P-DH: 0-1 (6-3, HBP)
10b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED 3rd TIME THROUGH THE ORDER
1. Chris Huseby – 1.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 22 pitches (15 pitches)
2. Yao-Lin Wang – 4.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 5/6 GO/FO, 43 pitches (28 strikes)
3. Alvido Jimenez – 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1/1 GO/FO, 16 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Danny Keefe – 0.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
5. Andres Quezada - 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1/2 GO/FO, 26 pitches (17 strikes)
1. 2B Blair Springfield E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. 1B Richard Jones E-3 (missed catch on attempted pick-off throw at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd base)
Jose Guevara: 1-2 CS
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 3B: 2-5 (1B, E-5, K, 1B, 4-3, R, CS)
2. Alvaro Ramirez, CF: 1-5 (F-9, 6-3 GIDP, E-5, 2B, F-8, RBI, SB)
3. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 2-4 (1B, 1B, K, K, R)
4. Jesus Morelli, RF: 2-4 (2B, 1B, 6-3, 4-3, RBI)
5. Sergio Burruel, C: 1-3 (4-3, HBP, 2B, E-7, R)
6. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 1-3 (5-3, 4-3, F-7 SF, 1B, RBI)
7. Albert Hernandez, 1B: 0-2 (5-3, BB, E-6, BB, R)
8. Cody Shields, LF: 0-4 (L-6, FC, 6-4 FC, 6-4-3 GIDP, R)
9a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED 1st TIME THROUGH THE ORDER
9b. Carlos Romero, DH: 2-3 (1B, K, 1B, CS)
1. Marcus Hatley – 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 3/1 GO/FO, 27 pitches (20 strikes)
2. Carlos Rojas –1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 17 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Marcos Perez - 3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 3/7 GO/FO, 30 pitches (21 strikes)
4. Corey Martin – 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 10 pitches (6 strikes)
5. Alvaro Sosa - 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 17 pitches (11 strikes)
SS Arismendy Alcantara E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – did not score)
WEATHER: Sunny & cloudless, with temperatures in the 90’s
Arizona Phil 9 hours 24 min ago (view)
Dillon Maples does not have the right to elect free-agency if he is outrighted to the minors, but he will be automatically declared an MLB Rule 9 6YFA at 5 PM Eastern on the 5th day after the final game of the World Series if he is not added back to the 40 in the meantime.
crunch 9 hours 38 min ago (view)
p.wisdom is the new cubs all-time rookie HR leader.
Arizona Phil 10 hours 55 min ago (view)
The Cubs will very likely be splitting the AZIL position players into two 14-man squads (like they did last year), with each squad playng in every other-game, and with the other squad having a Camp Day instructional work-out on a back-field when that squad is not playing in a game. There will also be five combined Camp Days during the course of the four weeks for all players from both squads.
Arizona Phil 11 hours 17 min ago (view)
DJL: No. Signing a 2022 minor league successor contract would only matter with regard to a player in the Arizona Fall League, because the AFL schedule goes past the date when minor leaguers are declared free-agents.
AZ Instructs ends on October 16th, which is about two or three weeks before minor league free-agency, so the three guys at Cubs Instructs who are eligible to be free-agehts after the World Series (Dakota Chalmers. Nicholas Padilla, and Eury Ramos) do not need to sign successor contracts in order to play in AZIL games.
Dolorous Jon Lester 13 hours 21 min ago (view)
Sorry to hear about your dad, Charlie. I lost my father almost 2 years ago now, some of my fondest childhood memories are going to Wrigley with him.
All the best wishes to you, sir.
First.Pitch.120 13 hours 35 min ago (view)
If you had Bote in the '11-'12- '13 Cubs draft dead pool, then you are a winner!
Dolorous Jon Lester 14 hours 8 min ago (view)
Dakota Chalmers... interesting. He's scheduled to be a MILB FA, correct? Would this be a good sign he has signed a successor deal?
Cubster 14 hours 42 min ago (view)
Maples dfa. Double Martini too. Hoerner and Thompson back and Keegan to start today. Hoerner bats 5th.
crunch 14 hours 52 min ago (view)
it's never a good time to be in the hospital, but things are extra complicated right now.
hope everything goes well for everyone.
Charlie 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
Listening to this in a hospital room because we are blacked out on MLB.tv. I don't know which surprises me more, that the Cubs haven't beaten the Brewers since April or that the Cubs beat the Brewers in April.
crunch 2 days 7 hours ago (view)
m.rodriguez to 10d IL, a.morgan returns.
Jackstraw 2 days 17 hours ago (view)
I like that the team was absolutely committed to not losing back-to-back games on a walk-off passed ball.
Eric S 3 days 4 hours ago (view)
And the funny thing is Rucker was the only Cubs pitcher tonight to post 0 runs allowed in the box score. You know things are really out of hand when Ross gives the okay for a Maples appearance.
George Altman 3 days 5 hours ago (view)
Is there a reason Preciado hasn't been in an ACL game in about a month?
crunch 3 days 6 hours ago (view)
i'd like the 2021 version of whatever d.ross is smoking bringing m.rucker into a bases loaded, 2 run lead in the 4th situation.
dude saw the situation and said "gimmie that guy with the 8.44era 1.59whip" as the first pen option to protect a lead.
rucker has been in 13 games and given up runs in 8 of them.
crunch 3 days 6 hours ago (view)
hendricks last 7 starts...
9er, 1er, 4er, 8er, 6er, 1er, 7er
3.68era - 1.29whip ...to... 4.81era - 1.35whip