Morelli Extends Hit Streak & Huseby Returns to Mound at Fitch Park
Jesus Morelli extended his hitting streak to 16 games with a 1st inning RBI double, leading one squad of Cubs to a 5-3 victory over the Giants on Field #3, while the other squad of Giants defeated the other squad of Cubs 6-2 on Field #2, as the EXST Cubs and EXST Giants played a Memorial Day Cactus League Extended Spring training split squad doubleheader at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ. Both games were stopped after eight innings.
Making his first appearance on the mound since throwing 16 consecutive balls (no strikes) and walking all four batters he faced in a game versus the EXST Angels at Diablo Park on April 28th, RHP Chris Huseby appeared to be headed down a similar path today, throwing seven of his first eight pitches for balls, before allowing a two-run RBI triple. However, he then suddenly seemed to turn a corner, and proceeded to strike out the side on just 10 pitches (all strikes), stranding the runner at 3rd. Then after completing his one inning of work, Huseby remained in the game as a DH, grounding out 6-3 in the 3rd and reaching base on a HBP (glancing blow off his helmet) in the 5th, before heading for the clubhouse.
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
1a. Kyung-Min Na, CF: 0-2 (1-3, HBP, K, SB)
1b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED 3rd TIME THROUGH THE ORDER ALTHOUGH NA REMAINED IN CF
2. Rafael Disla, 3B: 1-4 (1B, 4-3, K, 6-4 FC, SB)
3a. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-3 (1-3, F-7, K)
3b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED 4th TIME THROUGH THE ORDER
4. Richard Jones, 1B: 1-4 (3-U, 1-3, K, 3B, R)
5. Runey Davis, LF: 2-4 (3B, 3B, 6-3, 5-3, RBI, R)
6a. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (6-3, F-7, K, RBI)
6b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED 4th TIME THROUGH THE ORDER
7. Jose Guevara, C: 0-3 (F-8, L-4, BB, 5-3)
8. Blair Springfield, 2B: 0-2 (F-7, BB, BB, K)
9. Bobby Wagner, DH #1: 0-2 (F-8, P-3, BB)
10a. Chris Huseby, P-DH: 0-1 (6-3, HBP)
10b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED 3rd TIME THROUGH THE ORDER
1. Chris Huseby – 1.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 22 pitches (15 pitches)
2. Yao-Lin Wang – 4.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 5/6 GO/FO, 43 pitches (28 strikes)
3. Alvido Jimenez – 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1/1 GO/FO, 16 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Danny Keefe – 0.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
5. Andres Quezada - 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1/2 GO/FO, 26 pitches (17 strikes)
1. 2B Blair Springfield E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. 1B Richard Jones E-3 (missed catch on attempted pick-off throw at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd base)
Jose Guevara: 1-2 CS
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 3B: 2-5 (1B, E-5, K, 1B, 4-3, R, CS)
2. Alvaro Ramirez, CF: 1-5 (F-9, 6-3 GIDP, E-5, 2B, F-8, RBI, SB)
3. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 2-4 (1B, 1B, K, K, R)
4. Jesus Morelli, RF: 2-4 (2B, 1B, 6-3, 4-3, RBI)
5. Sergio Burruel, C: 1-3 (4-3, HBP, 2B, E-7, R)
6. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 1-3 (5-3, 4-3, F-7 SF, 1B, RBI)
7. Albert Hernandez, 1B: 0-2 (5-3, BB, E-6, BB, R)
8. Cody Shields, LF: 0-4 (L-6, FC, 6-4 FC, 6-4-3 GIDP, R)
9a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED 1st TIME THROUGH THE ORDER
9b. Carlos Romero, DH: 2-3 (1B, K, 1B, CS)
1. Marcus Hatley – 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 3/1 GO/FO, 27 pitches (20 strikes)
2. Carlos Rojas –1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 17 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Marcos Perez - 3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 3/7 GO/FO, 30 pitches (21 strikes)
4. Corey Martin – 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 10 pitches (6 strikes)
5. Alvaro Sosa - 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 17 pitches (11 strikes)
SS Arismendy Alcantara E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – did not score)
WEATHER: Sunny & cloudless, with temperatures in the 90’s
Arizona Phil 3 hours 20 min ago (view)
The Cubs have released RHRP (and their erstwhile closer) Brandon Morrow. There is no indication that they plan to re-sign him to another (different) 2020 minor league contract without the Article XX-B $100K retention bonus provision (as happened with Jason Kipnis last week).
crunch 6 hours 47 min ago (view)
rizzo takes another day off (lower back). ross says the club is "exercising caution."
klye ryan is expected to join the team tomorrow after some mysterious holdup.
Ryno 7 hours 24 min ago (view)
Has anyone seen Darvish's pitch "The Supreme"? Isn't it just a sinker?
Ryno 7 hours 32 min ago (view)
In other words: This lineup sucks.
Arizona Phil 7 hours 49 min ago (view)
Jason Kipnis was released on June 29th and then he was re-signed to a new (different) 2020 minor league contract that does not require a $100K retention bonus if he is not added to the Cubs MLB Reserve List by 2020 MLB Opening Day (7/23).
Brandon Morrow remains on his original 2020 minor league contract which pays him a $100K retention bonus if he is not released by 7/18 or added to the Cubs MLB Reserve List by 7/23.
Eric S 7 hours 54 min ago (view)
There is that re Kimbrel - at worst, just another year on the books.
July 1st is Bobby Bonilla Day - the day that check is cut and paid annually.
Cubster 8 hours 25 sec ago (view)
On the bright side regarding Kimbrel. It doesn't have the lasting bad side as the Mets arrangement with Bobby Bonilla. Unless they want to re-negotiate Kimbrel's terms.
Eric S 9 hours 27 min ago (view)
Watching the last night's highlight clip was not encouraging either as discussed here: https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2020/07/08/craig-kimbrels-intrasquad-performance-is-a-reminder-of-the-concerns-that-already-existed/
crunch 14 hours 3 min ago (view)
i still can't believe this front office paid anyone 16m a year to throw 60-70ip...
Eric S 23 hours 27 min ago (view)
Unfortunately, Kimbrel in Cub mid season form as well, giving up a two out, two run oppo homer to Willson.
Kimbrel Cub stats which I tried to bury but were dug up again: gave up a career high 9 home runs in only 20 2/3 inning, averaged a career high 9.1 hits allowed per 9 innings and served up a 6.53 ERA for his troubles. And no full spring training build up period again. Still hopeful he's got something left in the tank this year and next but man, he's got my full attention going into the season
BobbyD 23 hours 53 min ago (view)
Hmm. Never thought about it that way. Maybe it is a very stable genius?
crunch 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
maybe he's hoping it'll be bad enough to flip the population odometer over to 0 after humanity is wiped from the planet. let's give him more time to see if he's right before we get too down on him.
crunch 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
"Shohei Ohtani threw just 15 of his 50 pitches for strikes in an intrasquad game Tuesday. Trent Rush had him at eight walks, a hit by pitch and six wild pitches before he was shut down for a day. "
crunch 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
anthony rizzo is in mid-season form.
he sat out today with lower back tightness.
BobbyD 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
Well, back in February (I think; that was about 17 years ago now), our diaper staining commander in his own mind declared we had 15 cases in the U.S. and that would quickly go to zero. 130k dead and rapidly rising now 4 months later I still have brain dead neighbors in SoCal saying if Biden gets elected we're screwed. I wonder what they think screwed looks like.
crunch 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
cubs taking full advantage of that "night games deal" with the wrigleyville neighborhood...almost all the home games will be night games.
8 home day games, 6 on the weekend.