2010 Playoff Predictions

My annual useless guess at how the playoffs will go. To my lucky credit, I did and all 4 A.L. teams. I was too bearish on the Braves and Reds, and too bullish on the Cubs(as usual) and Cardinals. To the playoff predictions...

NLDS

Phillies vs. Reds

I'd be pretty shocked like a lot of folks if the Phillies aren't representing the NL in the World Series and I imagine a lot of folks are expecting this to be over in 3 or 4 games. Just to be different I'll take the Phillies in 5.

Braves vs. Giants

Neither put up inspiring performances in playoff-like atmospheres the final weekend, but the Braves trio of pitchers have been logging some real heavy innings just to get the Braves to the playoffs and they'll be without Martin Prado. Plus a a Giants vs. Phillies LCS would be damn fun. I'll take the Giants in 4.

ALDS

Rangers vs. Rays

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but I believe whomever wins Game 1 of a five-game series wins an abundantly high percentage of them. With a Cliff Lee vs. David Price match-up it's a tough call. Normally I'd take Lee but if I heard the radio correctly last night, the Rays beat Lee three times this year. So I'll give the nod to the Rays in 5.

Yankees vs. Twins

I'd love to take the Twins and they seem to do just fine without Morneau for most of the year, but Yanks seem like the better team all-around. Yanks in 4.

LCS

Giants vs. Phillies

The Giants will have two lefties in the rotation to try and counter the Phils lineup and probably the best chance to knock-off the Phils besides the Yankees. That being said, the Phils have the bats and experience and some Roy Halladay desperation that I'm going to side with on this one. Phillies in 7.

Yankees vs. Rays

A flip of the coin, mine lands on the Rays in 7.

World Series

Rays vs. Phillies

The rematch we've all not been waiting for...I'll take Phillies in 6, just in hopes of curbing some of the A.L. superiority talk.

Comments

I did get Yanks right last year, like everyone else and just about nothing else right. http://www.thecubreporter.com/2009/10/07/2009...

Pretty much matches up with what I think - with the Braves having the best shot at disrupting things. Who's got the best three starters and closer? Pick them.

http://muskat.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/10/10... B. Jackson sitting out with a sore heel. -edit- didn't mean that to be a reply

and by Rays I meant Rangers...

I see it pretty much the same way. I'd like to see the Twins win in round 1, but don't think they will. Maybe if they had Morneau. Off topic, but Kerry Wood since joining the Yankees was 2-0 with an 0.69 ERA in 24 games and 26 innings pitched. 14 hits and 18 BB with 31K. I'd sort of like to see him get a ring. I don't think Lee (who went .287/.384/.465 with an OPS+ of 130 with the Braves) or Fontenot will get one this year. DeRosa is on the Giants too, but injured.

anyone know if/where m.prior is gonna play winter ball?

His arm is going to fall off soon, why do it in winter ball?

to get to the other side. *shrug* seriously though, TEX signed him...put him in 1 AAA game...called it a season... just wondering if he actually has winter plans besides calling tom house for phone sex.

Roy Halladay is kind of good. Miguel Cairo was the bench bat Dusty could put in there?

I don't know. I was thinking if anyone would ruin a no hitter in the post season, it was most likely to be Miguel fucking Cairo... the Reds have too many Ex-Cubs, don't they?

I count 1 each Cairo for the Reds R. Gload for the Phillies Edmonds didn't make the LDS roster. Good odds I'm missing someone though.

cairo actually has hit holyday in his career, fwiw (4 for 11)

it appears his bench at that point consisted of P. Janish, R. Hanigan, C. Heisy, M. Cairo and L. Nix. Probably go Nix myself but him and Cairo have similar numbers this year. The Reds getting swept would sadly make me happy, so I'm fine with everything that doesn't work out for them. Since i do miss taking jabs at Dusty, all kinds of stupid not to have the lefty Travis Wood start a game vs. Phillies in this series.

Twins play for one run in first against Yanks. Sure.

Hey ROB G: Where are the standings from pre-season picks?

• Arizona Phil 52 min 28 sec ago (view)

And if Bryant does win the Service Time grievance his value in a trade this coming off-season will be diminished, because one year of club control until he becomes a free-agent versus two years of control is a significant difference.

• Arizona Phil 1 hour 9 min ago (view)

Q-MAN: It actually wouldn't surprise me if Bryant wins the grievance.

• Cubster 2 hours 9 min ago (view)

...and our Manager can dance!

• QuietMan 3 hours 29 min ago (view)

Still cant get the images of that SNL skit out of my mind.

• Cubster 5 hours 47 min ago (view)

This is really sad. A fatal pulmonary embolism is quite rare, older data had about 0.019% incidence (range 0-0.6%, for total knees). DVT without prophylaxis is higher and most people are getting prophylaxis (blood thinners) postop. DVT (leg clots) is a nuisance but not life threatening (unless the clot goes to the lungs). Patients with a history of DVT are at greater risk and there are other risk factors.

• Cubster 6 hours 5 min ago (view)

Kaplan also tweets Ross is the new manager and they are working on contract. Tweet reported in mlbtr too.

"Cubs made their decision late yesterday afternoon and the other candidates have been informed they are indeed out. David Ross is the choice."

• QuietMan 6 hours 11 min ago (view)

The Kris Bryant service time grievance is finally being heard by an arbitrator this week according to Kaplan.

• crunch 1 day 17 hours ago (view)

j.girardi did a 2nd interview with PHI on Monday and he's supposedly the favorite for the job.

• bradsbeard 1 day 22 hours ago (view)

The draft over the ASB and the trade deadline pushed back until August 15th or so would make sense. Otherwise, I don't know how scouting departments are going to handle the draft lead up and the trade deadline running almost simultaneously.

• Arizona Phil 1 day 22 hours ago (view)

One other thing about MLB player development that is very different from NFL, NBA, and NHL player development is that most MLB clubs have upwards of 300 minor league players under contract (not including players on their MLB 40-man roster, the Cubs presently have 301 minor leaguers under contract on nine minor league affiliates).

• Arizona Phil 1 day 22 hours ago (view)

JUST SAYIN: MLB is the only one of the four major North American professional sports that holds its draft and signs its draft picks during the season.

• crunch 2 days 7 hours ago (view)

umpire eric cooper has died...complications from knee surgery (blood clot)...52 years old

• crunch 2 days 18 hours ago (view)

"MLB Network's Jon Heyman reports former player David Ross and Astros bench coach Joe Espada "appear to be the frontrunners" for the Cubs' managerial opening."

espada's had 2 interviews.  for a guy who's actively at his "other job," having a 2nd interview seems like both sides want to make this work.  SF and PIT are also supposedly interested in espada.

• JustSayin' 2 days 20 hours ago (view)

That's a fair description of the benefits of the plan but If I have to choose between "better way" and "owners' greed," I pick the latter.  MLB wants better MiLB facilities, on average, without paying a cent.  They want to deal with the social and legal pressure they are getting for not even paying minor league players minimum wage per real hour worked by having less players.  In addition, the draft is to be moved to late August, so every draftee would lose compensation for the stub year in which they are drafted.  For this reason, I'm not sure your point about col

• Hagsag 2 days 20 hours ago (view)

Thanks Mr. Phil.

• Arizona Phil 2 days 21 hours ago (view)

HAGSAG: Besides reducing the costs that are associated with operating a minor league club, reducing the number of minor league affiliates would allow MLB organizations to increase the salaries of their remainng minor league players (who would be the organization's most-legit prospects) without having to increase the organization's aggregate minor league payroll.