2010 Playoff Predictions

My annual useless guess at how the playoffs will go. To my lucky credit, I did and all 4 A.L. teams. I was too bearish on the Braves and Reds, and too bullish on the Cubs(as usual) and Cardinals. To the playoff predictions...

NLDS

Phillies vs. Reds

I'd be pretty shocked like a lot of folks if the Phillies aren't representing the NL in the World Series and I imagine a lot of folks are expecting this to be over in 3 or 4 games. Just to be different I'll take the Phillies in 5.

Braves vs. Giants

Neither put up inspiring performances in playoff-like atmospheres the final weekend, but the Braves trio of pitchers have been logging some real heavy innings just to get the Braves to the playoffs and they'll be without Martin Prado. Plus a a Giants vs. Phillies LCS would be damn fun. I'll take the Giants in 4.

ALDS

Rangers vs. Rays

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but I believe whomever wins Game 1 of a five-game series wins an abundantly high percentage of them. With a Cliff Lee vs. David Price match-up it's a tough call. Normally I'd take Lee but if I heard the radio correctly last night, the Rays beat Lee three times this year. So I'll give the nod to the Rays in 5.

Yankees vs. Twins

I'd love to take the Twins and they seem to do just fine without Morneau for most of the year, but Yanks seem like the better team all-around. Yanks in 4.

LCS

Giants vs. Phillies

The Giants will have two lefties in the rotation to try and counter the Phils lineup and probably the best chance to knock-off the Phils besides the Yankees. That being said, the Phils have the bats and experience and some Roy Halladay desperation that I'm going to side with on this one. Phillies in 7.

Yankees vs. Rays

A flip of the coin, mine lands on the Rays in 7.

World Series

Rays vs. Phillies

The rematch we've all not been waiting for...I'll take Phillies in 6, just in hopes of curbing some of the A.L. superiority talk.

Comments

I did get Yanks right last year, like everyone else and just about nothing else right. http://www.thecubreporter.com/2009/10/07/2009...

Pretty much matches up with what I think - with the Braves having the best shot at disrupting things. Who's got the best three starters and closer? Pick them.

http://muskat.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/10/10... B. Jackson sitting out with a sore heel. -edit- didn't mean that to be a reply

and by Rays I meant Rangers...

I see it pretty much the same way. I'd like to see the Twins win in round 1, but don't think they will. Maybe if they had Morneau. Off topic, but Kerry Wood since joining the Yankees was 2-0 with an 0.69 ERA in 24 games and 26 innings pitched. 14 hits and 18 BB with 31K. I'd sort of like to see him get a ring. I don't think Lee (who went .287/.384/.465 with an OPS+ of 130 with the Braves) or Fontenot will get one this year. DeRosa is on the Giants too, but injured.

anyone know if/where m.prior is gonna play winter ball?

His arm is going to fall off soon, why do it in winter ball?

to get to the other side. *shrug* seriously though, TEX signed him...put him in 1 AAA game...called it a season... just wondering if he actually has winter plans besides calling tom house for phone sex.

Roy Halladay is kind of good. Miguel Cairo was the bench bat Dusty could put in there?

I don't know. I was thinking if anyone would ruin a no hitter in the post season, it was most likely to be Miguel fucking Cairo... the Reds have too many Ex-Cubs, don't they?

I count 1 each Cairo for the Reds R. Gload for the Phillies Edmonds didn't make the LDS roster. Good odds I'm missing someone though.

cairo actually has hit holyday in his career, fwiw (4 for 11)

it appears his bench at that point consisted of P. Janish, R. Hanigan, C. Heisy, M. Cairo and L. Nix. Probably go Nix myself but him and Cairo have similar numbers this year. The Reds getting swept would sadly make me happy, so I'm fine with everything that doesn't work out for them. Since i do miss taking jabs at Dusty, all kinds of stupid not to have the lefty Travis Wood start a game vs. Phillies in this series.

Twins play for one run in first against Yanks. Sure.

Hey ROB G: Where are the standings from pre-season picks?

• crunch 4 hours 24 min ago (view)

WAS is now floating c.kieboom as a 3rd base option...along with asdrubal cabrera backing him up there.

the bryant service issue delay may end up lessening his trade value as teams (especially his #1 rumored suitor, WAS) prepare their teams in the offseason.

it's unfortunate that the cubs major offseason team building is based on waiting to find out how much getting rid of bryant is worth because of service time concerns.

• Arizona Phil 9 hours 52 min ago (view)

Another possible unintended consequence of the new restriction on September call-ups is that contending clubs will send MLB-ready pitchers and position-players who in previous seasons would have been called-up to MLB in September to the Arizona Fall League, just to keep them in game shape in case the pitcher or position player is needed as an injury replacement in September or in the post-season.

• Arizona Phil 12 hours 27 min ago (view)

One thing about Josh Phegley is that not only is he out of minor league options but he also has Article XIX-A rights (he has accrued at least five years of MLB Service Time), so he can't even be outrighted to the minors without his consent if he were to be added to the 40.

• Arizona Phil 13 hours 2 min ago (view)

The Cubs have reportedly signed veteran MLB catcher Josh Phegley (ex-OAK and ex-CHW) to a minor league contract and an NRI to Spring Training (contract is pending because it has not yet been filed with MLB).

• CubbyBlue 16 hours 23 min ago (view)

Yeah but that person figured out a way to make a profit off of it, so... hey WAIT!

• crunch 1 day 2 hours ago (view)

"Cubs' pitching coach Tommy Hottovy said Friday that Brandon Morrow (elbow) will be on the same schedule as the rest of the Cubs' pitchers during spring training."

that's cool.  no restrictions unless the team chooses to be cautious, evidently.

• Arizona Phil 1 day 8 hours ago (view)

The Danny Hultzen and Carlos Asuaje minor league contracts have been filed with MLB, but no Jason Adam or Tyler Olson contract filings (yet).

• cubbies.4ever 1 day 9 hours ago (view)

My son's name is Tyler Olsen (obviously spelled different, and only 6 but a future Cub), so I am rooting for Tyler to make the team.

• Arizona Phil 1 day 9 hours ago (view)

And Tyler Olson has a similar profile as Casey Sadler (out of minor league options and has Article XX-D rights if he is added to the 40), the only difference being (unlike Sadler) Olson will come to Spring Training not on the 40 so he can be sent to Iowa without restrictions, but if & when he's added to the 40 he isn't a Des Moines - Chicago shuttle-rider candidate.

• Arizona Phil 1 day 9 hours ago (view)

Unfortunately (for the Cubs) Casey Sadler doesn't fit as a Des Moines - Chicago shuttle-rider because he is out of minor league options and he can elect free-agency if he is outrighted (he has Article XX-D rights because he been outrighted previously in his career).

• cubbies.4ever 1 day 9 hours ago (view)

I agree, this offseason has been a disgrace.  If I'm Theo I'm thinking I am in OAK or CHI?  This ownership has given him nothing this year.  Even the cheap Twins are willing to sign Josh Donaldson and the Cubs biggest transaction this offseason may be adding Miguel Amaya to the 40 man.

• tim815 1 day 9 hours ago (view)

The Cubs have a better talent pipeline than on Thursday.

I'm good.

• crunch 1 day 9 hours ago (view)

at least they gave up a chunk of nothing for him (clayton daniel, no power (not even doubles power), not notable speed, middle IF/OFr).

it would probably be better appreciated by fans if the entire offseason wasn't stuff like this.

it's obvious the front office is trying to work with what they have...which is little to nothing from the ownership.

• cubbies.4ever 1 day 10 hours ago (view)

Cubs acquire Casey Sadler from LA....another Tommy John Surgery pitcher.  Theo does it again.

• crunch 1 day 10 hours ago (view)

it gets better...

"Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Cubs have "considered/discussed" Jacoby Ellsbury."

sigh.  dude hasn't played in 2 seasons and is 36.5 years old.

• crunch 1 day 12 hours ago (view)

cubs sign tyler olsen to a minor league contract, 650K if he makes the majors.

evidently the cubs are sourcing 2020 players out of that trash can houston was banging on.