Local Boy Makes Good, Makes Cubs Pitchers Look Bad
San Francisco Giants 2009 2nd round draft pick Tommy Joseph (Horizon HS – Scottsdale, AZ) blasted a two-run home run to cap a five-run 3rd as the Giants trounced the Cubs 13-2 in AZ Instructional League action at Indian School Park Field #2 in Scottsdale this afternoon. Local-boy Joseph also hit a two-run bomb in yesterday’s 12-1 Giants victory at Fitch Park.
While the pitching (13 runs on 12 hits, five walks, and a HBP) and defense (four errors in the first three innings) left much to be desired today, the Cub offense wasn't any better. Already down 7-0 and with Giants pitchers having retired the previous 14 in a row, the Cubs scored their only two runs of the game in the top of the 6th in the following way: WALK - PASSED BALL - WILD PITCH - STRIKE OUT - RBI SINGLE - WILD PITCH - WALK - WILD PITCH - WALK - WILD PITCH - STRIKE OUT - STRIKE OUT. And that was the offensive high point!
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, BB, 5-3, CS)
2a. Logan Watkins, CF: 1-2 (1B, K, SB)
2b. Xavier Batista, LF: 0-1 (K)
2c. Sergio Burruel, PH: 1-1 (2B)
3a. Engel Santana, C: 0-3 (F-8, 4-3, K)
3b. Max Kwan, C: 0-1 (P-4)
4. Justin Bour, DH #1: 0-3 (K, K, 4-3)
5. Ryan Cuneo, 1B-3B: 0-3 (K, F-8, 3-U)
6. Dustin Geiger, 3B-1B: 0-3 (F-8, K, 6-3)
7. Reggie Golden, LF-CF: 0-2 (K, BB, 6-3, R)
8. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (5-3, K, K)
9. Delbis Arcila, DH #2: 1-3 (K, 1B, P-5, RBI, R)
10. Oliver Zapata, RF: 0-2 (6-3, BB, 6-3)
1. Jeff Lorick: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 30 pitches (20 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
2. Luis Liria: 1.2 IP, 5 H, 6 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 51 pitches (32 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
3. Alvaro Sosa: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 39 pitches (21 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
4. Brian Smith: 0.2 IP, 5 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 27 pitches (15 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
5. Charles Thomas: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 26 pitches (14 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
1. 1B Ryan Cuneo E-3 (throwing error allowed runner to advance from 2nd base to 3rd base – eventually scored unearned run)
2. P Luis Liria E-1 (errant throw on attempted pick-off at 2nd base allowed runner to advance from 2nd base to 3rd base and runner on 1st base to advance to 2nd base)
3 C Engel Santana E-2 (errant throw on stolen base attempt allowed runner to advance from 2nd base to 3rd base)
4. 3B Dustin Geiger E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base – eventually scored unearned run)
Engel Santana – 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
ATTENDANCE: 19 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Sunny and breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
crunch 1 hour 35 min ago (view)
...and strop gives up a hit then walks the bases loaded.
...and he closes it out with a K. neat.
this is the 1st cubs road series win since May 17-19 @WAS.
crunch 1 hour 43 min ago (view)
strop comes in to get the last out, but it has to be some kinda slow-walk back in a game that wasn't a save situation.
homer, hbp, k, k...looks healthy.
crunch 1 hour 50 min ago (view)
welcome back kimbrel.
1st pitch goes about 10 miles outside the park by marte.
crunch 2 hours 22 min ago (view)
one takeaway from this game...a slew of cubs players were fans of Hey Arnold! when they were kids.
crunch 3 hours 17 min ago (view)
woo, a good cubs away game.
crunch 5 hours 28 min ago (view)
heyward / cast / bryant / rizzo / baez / schwarb / caratini / kemp(2nd) / Q
crunch 6 hours 49 min ago (view)
so stoked for the williamsport game.
the increasing amount of off-site games is a bit concerning (middle of nowhere Field of Dreams field, really?), but I love this one. it's played out great so far and giving the kids playing in the LL series some primo seats (hope this continues) is a great touch.
Arizona Phil 8 hours 10 min ago (view)
Craig Kimbrel reinstated from IL, Duane Underwood Jr optioned to Iowa, Mark Zagunis recalled as the "26th man" for tonight's game (special travel required to get to Williamsport so MLB Comissioner permits 26th man for both clubs).
crunch 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
Charlie 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
Lester pitched 35 innings today.
crunch 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
2019...cubs fan...being thankful heyward and chatwood are around...wtf...
Eric S 1 day 6 hours ago (view)
Like having a 5-1 lead going into the ninth?
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
With our vaunted late inning tandem of Tyler Chatwood and Rowan Wick!
Who would have thought?
Jackstraw 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
Cubs 1-10 with RISP in the series. Left lots of ducks on the pond. Could take some of the pressure off the pen.
Jackstraw 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
You could hit your thumb with a hammer. Or take a big bite of wayyyy too hot pizza. Just sayin.
Eric S 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
I’m a little surprised and confused that Bote wasn’t in the infield in the ninth? Wth - need that one out boot to complete my day