2010 Winter Meetings Day Three
10:30 PM CST (Rob G.): A previous Levine post said Cubs are interested in acquiring Jason Frasor after missing out on him last season. Medical reports on Brandon Webb are in the Cubs doctors hands and Chris Davis for Robinson Chirinos is still on the table, but the Cubs want Darren O'Day included in a deal.
10:17 PM CST (Rob G.): Levine says the Rays and Cubs met for a second time since the meetings began, presumably to discuss Garza and that the Cubs "package" was the most attractive. (7th grade chuckle). Brewers and Rangers are also in the mix.
5:18 PM CST (Rob G.): Joel Sherman says the Rays are thus far unsinspired by offers for Garza and will likely wait until July to see if value goes up.
1:56 PM CST (Rob G.): Well at least the Cubs called to ask about Zack Greinke.
1:44 PM CST (Rob G.): There were some multi-year offers out there for Pena with Nats, Orioles, Mariners, Blue Jays and Braves showing interest. (O's seem to be at least one team that made a multi-year offer and the biggest competition according to Pena).
12:46 PM CST (Rob G.): There it is, $5M to Pena is deferred until January 2012.
12:26 PM CST (Rob G.): Pena press conference updates culled from Twitter.
- Grew up watching the Cubs, cites watching George Bell (~shrug~).
- "To play for the Cubs was my preference...I love the city, my family loves the city, and we have a good chance at winning."
- Boras cited Rudy as one of the reasons they liked the Cubs and confidence that he can help him improve on last season.
- Rumor that Yankees could be going after Mark Prior along with rumors that they'll try and bring back Kerry Wood once the Cliff Lee sweepstakes are over. Yes, Rothschild, Prior and Wood back together again is a looming possibility.
- Trib story says Cubs targets were Pena and Berkman and talk about LaRoche and Loney were overstated. Nats, Blue Jays, Mariners and Orioles made offers or were at least interested. No mention of deferred money from them, although Levine has already put it out there. Also says they're working on trades and still talking to Brandon Webb.
12:20 PM CST (Rob G.): Bruce Levine chat excerpts:
- Says Cubs like Garza and have young talent Rays are seeking, although Archer and B. Jackson seem safe from being moved.
- Chris Davis is still in the mix even with the Pena signing.
- Mentions deferred money in Pena deal again, but no specifics.
- Cubs still high on Vitters (as they should be).
To the rumor cave...
- With Pena about to be signed, look for the Cubs to intensify trying to move Fukudome and giving Colvin the everyday job.
- Same report from Levine suggests the Cubs are making a push for Matt Garza. (Claps hands like a cymbal playing monkey). Here's a more proper link to the story.
tim815 4 hours 8 min ago (view)
On what days of the calendar do players get to decide if they're going to opt out of their contracts?
Australian football games are being played before empty stadiums. I doubt that's a conducive environment to opting out.
Dolorous Jon Lester 7 hours 16 min ago (view)
SheffieldCornelia 8 hours 22 min ago (view)
Hey all, just checking in to say that yesterday was a really sad but appreciative day in my household. It is still completely mystifying that the Cubs couldn't find a way to extend Rizzo and Javy especially, and there's still some hope here that one or both guys can come back next year along with a Contreras extension. While they were here, Rizzo, Javy and KB especially gave us so much as players and made the last half decade really special for Cubs fans. Thanks guys.
(Also, please let some of these prospects become the next Hendricks or Arrieta and not the next Mike Olt.)
Hagsag 9 hours 6 min ago (view)
Pay Willy now please!
crunch 11 hours 57 min ago (view)
mlb.com has already updated their "top 30" team prospect rankings post-trade deadline. https://www.mlb.com/prospects/cubs/
pete crow-armstrong #6 (mets)
alexander canario #7 (giants)
alexander vizcaino #8 (yanks)
kevin alcantara #11 (yanks)
caleb kilian #16 (giants)
greg deichmann #20 (A's)
i like caleb kilian more than the mlb.com ranking of #16. if he manages to finish the season strong he should have no problem working his way into the top-10.
Arizona Phil 14 hours 3 min ago (view)
Anderson Espinoza will get a 4th minor league option in 2023 and Alexander Canario will get a 4th minor league option in 2024 (if needed).
Dolorous Jon Lester 17 hours 23 min ago (view)
He looked really good. Rucker didn't look bad either
crunch 17 hours 35 min ago (view)
m.rodriguez throws 1ip 0h 0bb 2k, 11 pitches
hell of a debut.
crunch 18 hours 24 min ago (view)
already hit his 1st yankee homer, btw.
crunch 18 hours 26 min ago (view)
hey yo. hopefully the offseason and going into 2022 will be worth whatever the hell this is that happened today.
Jace 18 hours 37 min ago (view)
QuietMan 19 hours 17 min ago (view)
Maybe after he's done pitching for Team USA at The Olympics.
Sonicwind75 19 hours 27 min ago (view)
Maybe Cubs can counter by bringing Edwin Jackson back.
crunch 19 hours 44 min ago (view)
dbacks see the cubs making a serious tanking move and they have 5 players go on the COVID list.
hell of a counter-play dbacks...good job.
crunch 20 hours 9 min ago (view)
your new 2021 chicago cubs...day 1
ortega / contreras / happ / wisdom / bote / heyward / duffy / alcantara / arrieta
crunch 20 hours 12 min ago (view)
woo! go not-cubs!
break out a list of 17 year old highschool kids and college sophmores to mull over for the next 10 months!