The New Untouchables

We've done, but Bruce Miles has

--As we wrote last week, the only prospects the Cubs won’t move are Brett Jackson and Chris Archer. All the others would be on the table in trade talks. That includes Josh Vitters and Jay Jackson.

Is being deemed untouchable by the Cubs brass pretty much the kiss of death for your baseball career? I wouldn't take any fishing trips out on the lake if I were them.

Comments

In Bruce's comments section he says that talks have cooled quite a bit on the Fukudome front. So nothing brewing there.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjou... The Nats want Garza or Greinke as well, their untouchables are Desmond and J. Zimmerman.

Muskatrock: Cubs will add a patch in 2011 to honor Santo. This sounds 3/44, sorry if it is. Edit: Linky linky http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...

The patch should be an image of Dave Otto's head with a red circle and line over it.

No Zito Take a look at the first sentence of the article (emphasis added):
there have now been 10 free agent position players who have received contracts of $100 million or more.
And yes... on that list, Beltran would be considered good.

"Cliff Lee is going to the Philadelphia Phillies, industry sources said Monday night. The Rangers were told Monday night that Lee is going to the Phillies, It is a done deal" http://trsullivan.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/1... ...so...when are the cubs trading for blanton? =p

Holy shit, that would be one retarded rotation.

halladay/c.lee/r.oswalt/c.hamels i imagine they'll trade blanton away and put k.kendrick in the 5 slot...the 1-4 is crazy good enough...and the #4 should be the #3 guy...and he would be more than a few team's #1...crazy.

It's like the Cubs rotation, only the exact opposite. I'm not sure this city could handle Blanton and Silva, they are hungry fuckers.

5 years, $100 million, from what they said on radio. I think their $80 million rotation and $60 million infield pretty much blows the roof off of the "We're spending what we can" owner theory. Between the Phillies' payroll and the Jayson Werth deal, the owners are going to have themselves some explaining to do when it comes to the next CBA.

5/115 says mlbtr here: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/agree-t... (sposedly from Hymen on the twitterses)

Well I overestimated their cost on the infield, but my quick estimate on their 25 man roster puts their payroll at $155.3 million.

Phillies vs Patriots in the Super World Bowl Series?

Along those lines, Indiana introducted Kevin Wilson as their new football coach last week. When asked about the Indiana v. Purdue rivalry, he said it was like when "the Yankees play the Lakers." Got it. Thanks.

According to Crashburn Alley, the Phillies now have four of the top 12 MLB leaders in xFIP from 2010. I hope no NL team is dumb enough to take Joe Blanton off their hands.

Deal in place to send Blanton to Red Sox? http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/146735...

Looks like the Cubs picked a good year for Project .500

At least we were able to hold onto Koyie Hill. Imagine that Philly rotation if they could throw to Koyie?

Tampa wants 2 pitching prospects and a SS of the future for Garza http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/i...

I can't blame them, but part of me is still somewhat wary about Garza. I'm thinking they are probably asking for something like McNutt (Bruce Miles has been fairly clear that the only untouchables, as you note, are Archer and Jackson, and Cashner/Castro probably aren't going anywhere, so McNutt, who is most often thought of as our third best prospect, seems logical for a trade involving arguably the 2nd best pitcher that could be on the market), Carpenter or Jackson, and Lee. I'm not sure I like that ... but if I'm the Cubs, I'm not sure I say no to that.

Maybe the smart move is to start the season and see how good the team is? If we look like a winner by late May. Then you can dangle these same prosects for a Garza,Guthrie,Grienke type of Guy. If we look like an also ran by late May. Then we can put the feelers out on Gorzo,Wells, Dempster and maybe a Marmol or Marshall? Either way I'd like to see some level of commitment towards a direction.

• erich081 3 hours 44 min ago (view)

Brach in during a one run game where the ball seems to be flying out of the park? I too like to live dangerously.

• Eric S 4 hours 4 sec ago (view)

Robel’s 454 foot splashdown - 6th longest homer by a Cub this season

• Arizona Phil 5 hours 24 min ago (view)

RHP Aneuris Rosario (2014 IFA - Dominican Republic) has been reinstated from the Disqualified List. Now 24, Rosario spent four seasons in the DSL (2014-17) and was the one-time closer for DSL Cubs #1. He hasn't pitched since 2017.

• Charlie 5 hours 45 min ago (view)

Last hurrah as a starter before the Cubs trade for an outfielder who gets on base?

• crunch 6 hours 44 min ago (view)

i wonder why almora's started almost every game the past week+, especially since he's sucked at it...and he even got to hit leadoff for a game or 2.

• Charlie 7 hours 12 min ago (view)

Oof. Almora and Maldonado as starters is going to be rough on the offense. Better hope for at least a Garcia triple.

• crunch 7 hours 58 min ago (view)

schwarber / baez / bryant / rizzo / garcia(2nd) / heyward / almora / maldo / a.mills

ham gets a AAA rehab start tomorrow.  also, i could do with less almora.

• QuietMan 14 hours 14 min ago (view)

Edwards optioned to Iowa per Jesse Rogers,

• George Altman 14 hours 28 min ago (view)

Yeah.....yeah. I think I'm good too. Put him and Strop in the Shawn Greene deal.

• Mike Wellman 16 hours 37 min ago (view)

I feel like I've already waited & seen enough of CEJ...

• Dolorous Jon Lester 16 hours 58 min ago (view)

Not as much as it makes his stomach tighten!

i dont think we should trade him. We would get nothing of value back. But I don’t think he should be a bullpen piece on a playoff contender either. He should be in Iowa. Reassess where he’s at for September and next year. If they don’t like what they see, non-tender.

• Charlie 17 hours 31 min ago (view)

Cheap may not be the right word, but has put up reasonable value per dollar compared to other relievers prior to this ear.

He accrued 2.9 bWAR 2017-2018. Strop put up 3.2 bWAR during the same period. Edwards is making $1.5M this year. Strop is making $6.25M. He'll get a bump again this offseason even if he doesn't rebound in the second half, of course. I just don't see a need to trade him unless the Cubs are being offered value in return.

That said, it does make my stomach knot up a bit when I see they are bringing him into a close game.

• Arizona Phil 1 day 1 hour ago (view)

Carl Edwards Jr will be out of minor league options next season (2020), and he will (once again) be arbitration-eligible post-2019 (he was "Super Two" arb eligible post-2018) and he will be a FA post-2022.

• crunch 1 day 6 hours ago (view)

cubs lose, cards win, brews win.

boo.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 8 hours ago (view)

I think this is his last option year. And he’s not as cheap as you’d think, he’s a super two qualified player this year.

• Charlie 1 day 8 hours ago (view)

Edwards is frustrating at times. Some of that frustration comes from thinking he could be much better than he currently is. But prior to this year (in which he has pitched very few innings), he's overall been an OK relief pitcher in the majors. I'm happy to wait and see on him for quite a while. Still has an option and is cheap, right?