Geiger Blast Nets Cubs Split at Salt River Fields
Dustin Geiger slugged a grand slam HR to cap a five-run 2nd inning as one squad of EXST Cubs drilled one squad of EXST Rockies 10-4 on Red Mountain Field, but the other squad of Rockies pounded out 17 hits (including three triples, two doubles, and a three-run HR) and thumped the other squad of Cubs 12-1 on Dust Storm Field, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training Memorial Day doubleheader played this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only)
RED MOUNTAIN FIELD
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1a. Pin-Chieh Chen, CF: 2-4 (K, 3B, K, 2B, 2 R)
1b. Blair Springfield, CF: 0-1 (F-9)
2. Gregori Gonzalez, 2B-3B: 2-5 (5-3, 1B+E7, 6-3, 2B, 6-3, R, RBI)
3a. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 3-4 (1B, P-2, 3B, 1B, R, RBI, SB)
3b. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-1 (K)
4a. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 2-4 (F-7, F-7, 1B, 2B, R, 2 RBI)
4b. Carlos Romero, C: 0-1 (K)
5. Jesus Morelli, LF: 2-5 (1B, 6-3, 1B, K, 6-3, 2 R)
6. Reggie Golden, RF: 1-4 (1B, 6-3, F-8, K, BB, R)
7. Wes Darvill, SS: 2-5 (1B, 1B+E5, FC, 5-3, F-9, R, RBI)
8. Max Kwan, DH: 2-5 (K, 5-3, 1B, K, 1B, RBI)
9. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 1-5 (HR, K, L-6, 6-3, K, R, 4 RBI)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Luis Liria: 3.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 6 K, 1 HBP, 71 pitches (42 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. Starling Peralta: 3.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 40 pitches (30 strikes), 0/7 GO/FO
3. Brian Smith: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 10 pitches (6 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Jeffry Antigua: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 5 pitches (5 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 1
2B Gioskar Amaya - E4 (dropped pop-up in short RF allowing batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
DUST STORM FIELD
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B: 2-4 (K, 1B, 1B, 4-6 FC)
2. Brian Inoa, DH: 1-4 (1-U, 6-4 FC, 4-6-3 DP, 1B)
3. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-4 (K, 1B, F-9, K)
4. Brandon May, 3B: 0-4 (F-9, K, K, 5-3)
5. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-4 (4-3, F-9, 3B, 1-3, R)
6. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 0-4 (F-8, 4-U FC, 5-3, 4-3, RBI)
7. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-3 (K, F-9, K)
8. Johan DeJesus, C: 1-3 (F-7, 5-3, 1B)
9. Oliver Zapata, CF: 1-3 (2B, F-7, F-8)
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Willengton Cruz: 2.0 IP, 9 H, 8 R (8 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 63 pitches (42 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
NOTE: 1st inning was stopped with one out when Cruz reached max pitch limit for that inning
2. Joe Zeller: 3.1 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 54 pitches (34 strikes), 2/5 GO/FO
3. Dustin Fitzgerald: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 32 pitches (18 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
4. Rafael Diplan: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 19 pitches (10 strikes)
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
SS Marco Hernandez - E6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Johan DeJesus: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
crunch 2 hours 25 min ago (view)
happ / rizzo / contreras / schwarber(DH) / maybin(LF) / heyward / baez / kipnis / bote
George Altman 3 hours 41 min ago (view)
Let's hope so. It would be great next year to NOT have to 'piece together a bullpen'.
Arizona Phil 4 hours 2 min ago (view)
DJL: I think that if Lester, Chatwood, Quintana, Jeffress, and Chafin leave via free-agency and do not return or are not replaced by at least one veteran MLB FA SP, the default Cubs 2021 Opening Day pitching staff will be Darvish, Hendricks, Mills (out of options), Alzolay (could be out of options - TBD), and either Rea, T. Miller, Steele, Abbott, Marquez, or D.
Arizona Phil 4 hours 56 min ago (view)
I understand that any team can win a three-game series, but if I'm a division winner I'd want to be the #3 seed rather than the #2 seed in both the A. L. and the N. L., because I would rather face the worst second place team (Houston in the A. L. and probably Miami or Philadelphia in N. L.) than the best wild card team (Cleveland in the A. L. and probably Cincinnati or Milwaukee in the N.L.).
Hagsag 12 hours 59 min ago (view)
Maybe, if he makes the roster!
Charlie 18 hours 32 min ago (view)
Jose Martinez is going to hit some big post season homerun, isn't he?
Cubster 21 hours 20 min ago (view)
Is the Chafin experiment over yet?
crunch 21 hours 27 min ago (view)
well that sucked.
even with the loss the cubs officially clinched a playoff slot tonight, though.
crunch 21 hours 35 min ago (view)
oh, it's totally the hitters unless the coach is forcing guys into trying ill advised changes...which is doubtful to the point of obsurdity for this many slumping hitters.
it's just that a near team-wide hitting outage with no one getting "fixed" isn't a good look for a hitting coach.
Dolorous Jon Lester 21 hours 47 min ago (view)
How many hitting coaches would that be over the past five years?
At a certain point maybe it's just the hitters? I love the current group but we've been burning through hitting coaches recently
crunch 22 hours 14 min ago (view)
anthony iapoce might want to start updating his resume...
i'm not saying it's his fault, but it doesn't seem like much is going right with the bats and it's getting worse over time.
Dolorous Jon Lester 23 hours 35 min ago (view)
I look at the 8 man pen for next year and would assume 6 RHP 2 LHP. The LHP would currently be two of Ryan, Wieck, and Steele (and I guess Osich but I suspect he's non-tendered).
The 6 RHP would be from Kimbrel, Wick, Tepera, Adam, Underwood, Alzolay, Winkler, Rea (and potentially others). I feel like they're only keeping one of Tepera/ Winkler for final arb year. Tough to say which is better value at this point.
crunch 23 hours 53 min ago (view)
im impressed tepera has "only" given up 2hr in 19.2ip, but i wouldn't hold out on that holding up. also, his control is sketchy as ever...
he's got promising stuff, but at age 33 (few weeks from now) what more does he have to learn/show?
it would probably cost the cubs 1.5m or so to keep him around (900K this year). they liked something about him to pick him up, but who knows where that's at now...
Arizona Phil 1 day 45 min ago (view)
Two Cubs reached significant milestones today:
1. OF Jason Heyward now has "10/5 no trade" rights and so he cannot be traded without his consent (he had a partial "no trade" the past couple of seasons);
crunch 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
happ / contreras / rizzo / baez / schwarber / bote(3rd) / maybin(RF) / martinez(DH) / hoerner(2nd)
crunch 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
r.brothers, down...Q, up