Thursday Cubs Headlines
After Kaplan claimed Kerry Wood was close to moving on, he then took credit that his story spurred the Cubs to up their offer for Kerry and that he should be signing with the Cubs soon. Jon Morosi of Fox Sports broke the news saying it's likely to be a one-year deal with some sort of 2013 option.
- Theo downplayed talks regarding Matt Garza, claiming more has been reported in the media than has actually happened. The Tigers (as they should) seem more than content with keeping Jacob Turner as their 5th starter this year (he won't last long there).
- Kevin Goldstein tweets that the Cubs are "definitely interested" in Yoenis Cespedes who signed up with a Dominican team today, which should give scouts even a better look at him. Rumor is that Jorge Soler probably won't sign until the season starts.
- The cops will have a little chat with Starlin Castro next week over the sexual assault allegations.
- The Cubs baseball ops department is now working with Bloomberg Sports on a "state-of-the-art player evaluation system". Hopefully they've moved Ari Kaplan's office out of the maintenance closet by now.
- Darwin Barney is not taking for granted that he'll be the starting second baseman. I promise to not take it for granted either and will openly root for an upgrade.
- At some point it seems the Cubs signed C Juan Apodaca out of the Indians organization on a minor league deal. If you haven't heard, "popular" Cubs backstop Koyie Hill(as coined by Jon Morosi) signed with the Cardinals on a minor league deal.
- A fun graph on which hitters are left on the free agent market, with Fielder and Pena leading the group.
- In Bears news, Mike Tice isn't buying the current pass-happy trend in the NFL. In personel news, I just slammed my head into the wall.
- The Bears have also received permission to interview four candidates: Marc Ross - director of college scouting, New York Giants, Jimmy Raye III, director of player personnel, San Diego Chargers, Jason Licht, director of pro personnel, New England Patriots and Phil Emery, director of college scouting, Kansas City Chiefs. Knowing nothing about them, I vote for the Patriot guy.
crunch 54 min 33 sec ago (view)
(c) hendricks gives up at least 60 homers in the regular season
seriously, though...wisdom has "slowed down" the past 10 days or so, but he still managed a couple homers. he's got a damn good shot at 20+ even if bote+duffy come back to steal a little time from him.
Charlie 1 hour 18 min ago (view)
This Mets series is going poorly, so... off-topic question. Which of these outcomes do you currently think is more likely in 2021: (a) Javy hits at least 40 homeruns in the regular season, (b) Patrick Wisdom hits at least 20 homeruns in the regular season.
crunch 20 hours 8 min ago (view)
wow...and he's done for the night. that's not good...well, for mets fans.
"right shoulder soreness"
crunch 20 hours 24 min ago (view)
meanwhile...degrom with 8 Ks through 3 perfect innings. he's also got a RBI single.
crunch 21 hours 3 min ago (view)
and d.smith gets HBP.
this is high end next level strategy. you beat degrom by injuring everyone until they have to forfeit the game. moneyballs.
crunch 21 hours 8 min ago (view)
ow...villar got nailed in the ear and the back of the head by a throw from lobaton on a stolen base.
Arizona Phil 21 hours 28 min ago (view)
CHARLIE: You are absolutely right.
Granted there are existing rules prohibiting pitchers from using foreign substances, but you don't change enforcement protocols suddenly in the middle of the season. Pitchers should be given an opportunity to make adjustments during the course of Spring Training before any new enforcement policy is implememted.
This can and should be addressed in the upcoming CBA negotiations. Not now.
Charlie 22 hours 25 min ago (view)
That was definitely my position prior to this year. But I am starting to buy into the claim that almost all pitchers are using something, even if it is rosin and sunscreen in many cases.
crunch 23 hours 7 min ago (view)
brews did the cubs a solid by losing before the cubs have to take on degrom.
crunch 1 day 26 min ago (view)
*laughs nervously looking over at craig kimbrel*
Jackstraw 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
Guys who haven't been cheating don't need to change a thing.
crunch 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
dude can barely move behind the plate these days. i wouldn't trust him to stop a passed ball or a wild pitch even with his advanced skill.
that said, all the cubs in-house options kinda suck.
hey d.ross, grab a glove and get to work.
Charlie 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
Tyler Glasnow sprained his UCL and is pretty openly objecting to the MLB pushback on use of "sticky stuff," saying he thinks not using his "substance of choice," rosin and sunscreen, lead to his injury and will lead others to injury. I will be interested to hear a more open discourse on what pitchers use to get a grip on the ball, what will be permitted, and what adjustments pitchers will make.
Hagsag 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
Time to sign Wilson Ramos.
Arizona Phil 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
Beginning today (June 16th), post-2020 Article XX-B MLB free-agents who signed a 2021 MLB contract will no longer have an automatic "no trade" right, so Arrieta, Chafin, Marisnick, Pederson, and Romine can now be traded without restriction.