Cubs Play to Win (and Also to Tie) at Indian School Park
Starling Peralta threw three perfect innings and Wilson Contreras, Kevin Encarnacion, and Garrett Schlecht smacked run-scoring hits in a five-run 7th, as one squad of Cubs rallied from a 5-0 deficit to tie the Giants 5-5 on Field #1, while meanwhile three pitchers were combining to throw a two-hitter on Field #2 as the other squad of Cubs edged the Giants 2-1, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split squad doubleheader this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning affairs.
Javier Baez went 0-2, both towering fly balls to LF. One was dropped by the left-fielder for a two-base error, and Baez would come around to score later in the inning on a throwing error by the Giants first-baseman as Baez was taking 3rd base (after initially holding at 2nd) on a 5-3 GO.
RHP Su-Min Jung continues to struggle with "Steve Blass Disease," as he once again was unable to finish an inning. In his first two EXST appearances (1.1 IP), Jung has walked seven (51 pitches - only 17 strikes).
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (K, K, 1B, F-7)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (F-9, 4-6-3 DP, F-9)
3. Dan Vogelbach, DH #1: 1-3 (6-3, 2B, 4-3)
4. Jair Bogaerts, DH #2: 1-3 (K, K, 2B, R)
5. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 0-2 (K, L-7, BB, R)
6a. Brian Inoa, 2B: 0-1 (F-7, BB)
6b. Luis Acosta, 2B: 0-0 (BB, R)
7a. Wilfredo Petit, C: LEFT GAME WITH SHOULDER INJURY PRIOR TO FIRST AB
7b. Wilson Contreras, C: 2-3 (1B, 1-6 FC, 2B, R, 2 RBI, 2 SB, PO)
8. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-3 (1-3, 5-3, 1B, R, RBI, SB)
9. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 1-3 (K, K, 2B, RBI)
10. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-2 (BB, 1B, P-6)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Starling Peralta: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 33 pitches (21 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Ryan Hartman: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 1 PO, 42 pitches (23 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
3. Su-Min Jung: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 28 pitches (11 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Ramon Garcia: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 20 pitches (11 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 2:
1. 3B Mark Malave - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. 1B Trevor Gretzky - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1 PB
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Danny Lockhart, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, P-6, 1-3, PO)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-3, L-9)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 0-2 (F-7, E-7, R)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 0-2 (F-7, 5-3)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-2 (2B, 3-U, R)
6. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 0-2 (K, K)
8. Yaniel Cabezas, C-DH: 0-2 (F-8, 1-3)
9. Yasiel Balaguert, LF: 1-2 (1B, K)
10. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #2: 0-2 (K, K)
11a. Delbis Arcila, DH #3: 0-1 (K)
11b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-1 (F-8)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. James Pugliese: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 45 pitches (32 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
2. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 10 pitches (10 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Roderik Pichardo: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 20 pitches (13 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 1
1B Rock Shoulders – E-3 (missed catch on what should have been a 6-3 GO allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yaniel Cabezas: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
Cubster 1 hour 1 min ago (view)
btw, gotta love the banner photo showing white cleats with Wrigley mud stuck to them. Great choice (and very 3D).
Hagsag 4 hours 45 min ago (view)
Cant picture not having AZ Phil as a infomation source.
Mike Wellman 16 hours 35 min ago (view)
On top of what everyone else sez, TCR is my passport to the I-Cubs every year. Plz keep up the good work!
First.Pitch.120 21 hours 50 min ago (view)
I echo what everyone else has said. I am in no way an expert (or even novice) at the nuts & bolts of website construction; however, I have dabbled in some website maintenance for various entities. If there is a need for another set of hands, I would be willing to see if I could help ( or at least pull a Jonathan Herrera & cheer from the bench with an awesome helmet).
Wrigley Rat 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
This site is great! It's pretty much the only Cubs site I visit daily, other than a Google search for Cubs news. 90% of the information I get on Cubs prospects is from here. Commenters are usually very respectful and it seems that most are well-informed or want to be. I'm hoping the site can continue. Thanks to everyone who contributes to its content! :)
George Altman 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
I'd like to add, without meaning to take a superior attitude, that ALL the content and commentators on TCR are a step above every other Cubs Blog I've seen. I'm better informed, better briefed about not only what's happening but what's likely to happen.
You all have made me a better Cubs fan. Whatever happens, thank you.
Charlie 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
I will be happy to continue to do gameday posts for another season and would like to keep the site active. Thanks for your labor!
Sorry for all the delayed and abbreviated posts at season's end, by the way.
fullykräusened 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
Like the other posters, I don't post often, but have enjoyed Arizona Phil and crunch (who was right about Jason Heyward :) ). I am grateful for all the work that has gone into maintaining the site, and whatever you want to do to make it work is okay with me!
Cubster 2 days 1 hour ago (view)
Chiming in that TCR is still a major part of my daily Cub routine and has always been my browser homepage. The site contains much love for AZ Phil and his subtle sense of humor as the war correspondent for the Arizona Scoring Service.
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Hagsag 2 days 4 hours ago (view)
Thank you forTCR, and it is the first site I check daily. Please keep it going.
Karl Pagel Blues 2 days 6 hours ago (view)
Thank you for this site. It's the first one I turn to every single day. There may be other sites with more daily content, but there's only one TCR. Again, a big thank you to everyone actively contributing here!
crunch 2 days 11 hours ago (view)
no matter the future, i've learned a whole lot being here and i'm still learning. phil's post earlier with the end-season instructs stats is a great example of this. lots of love for the team, the farm system, and the game here.
also, it looks like dusty's crew is 3 outs away from going to the WS with 5 runs to cushion.
George Altman 2 days 13 hours ago (view)
Please keep it going if at all possible. No other Cubs website compares. I've spent 15 years with AZ Phil, Crunch, Cubster. Don't want to see that end.
Alexander Dimm 2 days 15 hours ago (view)
Like the others, I don't post often, and it's not the only Cubs baseball site I read. However, it is the first site I read each day and if I only read one, this is it. I hope you can hang in there.
Cubs baseball will be a little less fun without TCR.
Childersb3 2 days 15 hours ago (view)
I've been reading, commenting and asking questions here for over a decade now. Cubdom wouldn't be whole without TCR.
Hope it stays in any form possible.
Whatever is most manageable, cheapest, time efficient manner you.
bradsbeard 2 days 16 hours ago (view)
Absolutely want to see if stay if possible.