Cubs Shoot Blanks at Talking Stick

Four Rockies pitchers combined to toss a six-hit shutout, as the Cubs were blanked 3-0 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, east of Scottsdale, AZ.

Here is the box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):

CUBS LINEUP:
1. Trey Martin, CF: 0-4 (K, P-5, F-7, 1-3)
2a. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF-DH: 1-3 (3-U, 1B, P-5)
2b. Brian Inoa, PH: 0-0 (BB)
3. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-4 (K, 5-3, F-7, 1B)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-4 (F-7, 1B, F-7, F-8)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B-DH: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 3-U, F-9)
6a. Dan Vogelbach, DH #1: 0-2 (BB, L-4 DP, K)
6b. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 0-1 (F-8)
7. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-3 (K, F-8, K)
8. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-2 (E-1, BB, P-4)
9. Danny Lockhart, DH-3B: 0-3 (P-3, 4-6 FC, P-6)
10a. Justin Marra, C: 0-2 (F-9, 3-6 FC)
10b. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-1 (3B)

CUBS PITCHERS:
1. Ian Dickson: 4.0 IP, 4 H. 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 GIDP, 60 pitches (42 strikes), 5/3 GO/FO
2. David Henrie: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 19 pitches (16 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Willengton Cruz: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 27 pitches (17 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
4. Roderik Pichardo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 11 pitches (8 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO

CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Rock Shoulders - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Marco Hernandez - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)

ATTENDANCE: 7

WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's

Comments

Carrie Muskat‏@CarrieMuskat RHP Michael Bowden has cleared waivers & will report to ‪#Cubs‬ Triple-A Iowa.

MLB Network is trying so hard to make this draft a "thing" worth watching. the pieces on the kids are nice...there's studio banter...there's "team war rooms" cameras...there's the MLB draft stage @ the network's studios...there's live cameras in upcoming draftee's homes. they had HOF'rs ringing the bell to open NADSAQ this morning's stock exchange with a Draft 2012 banner behind them... meh. well, the pieces on the players are pretty cool.

A.ALMORA'S MOM....DAT WIG. holy crap. i bet john waters would pay so much money for that.

judging by the pace of this the cubs should make their pick in about 2 and 1/2 hours. also, j.mayo turtlewax'd his skull.

“It’s the last straw. If he wants to play, he better start getting his head in the game. Period.” - sveuaemeuveum on castro day-yam.

that's cute. good luck with that sveum.

Would they have turned the double play? I'm not saying Castro shouldn't pay attention...to me it looked like they couldn't have turned 2 anyway.

probably not, but that wasn't a skill call...that was a mental screwup.

it looked bad regardless and cost them the tying run, it was certainly worth making the throw on. It was undoubtedly a major mental fuck-up, but I don't know what Sveum thinks he's accomplishing.

Agreed on both counts

my attempt at humor on twitter on the Sveum quote: Can someone bench Sveum next time he bats Mather 3rd or starts Baker instead of LaHair? #headinthegame

• Cubster 9 hours 33 min ago (view)

Heartwarming Trent Giambrone story in Tribune...

"Dad, that's yours." (...gets misty eyed)

• Hagsag 11 hours 40 min ago (view)

Thanks crunch.

• crunch 21 hours 38 min ago (view)

It seems to be up to individual country origin promoters at this point, many not english translated.  coverage from mlb/milb was limited in 2018 and they seem to have given up in 2019.  last year was the same thing even though they were operating a nearly post-covid type structure.

we start tomorrow and nothing seems to be in place for casual english-speaking fans (that i know of).

• Hagsag 1 day 3 hours ago (view)

How do I find the site for Caribbean winter baseball? Looking for rosters, box scores and etc.

• azbobbop 1 day 22 hours ago (view)

I'm not a frequent poster but I am a daily reader who really appreciates this site

• SheffieldCornelia 2 days 5 hours ago (view)

I echo this!

• Cubster 2 days 7 hours ago (view)

btw, gotta love the banner photo showing white cleats with Wrigley mud stuck to them. Great choice (and very 3D).

• Hagsag 2 days 11 hours ago (view)

Cant picture not having AZ Phil as a infomation source.

• Mike Wellman 2 days 23 hours ago (view)

On top of what everyone else sez, TCR is my passport to the I-Cubs every year. Plz keep up the good work!

• First.Pitch.120 3 days 4 hours ago (view)

I echo what everyone else has said. I am in no way an expert (or even novice) at the nuts & bolts of website construction; however, I have dabbled in some website maintenance for various entities. If there is a need for another set of hands, I would be willing to see if I could help ( or at least pull a Jonathan Herrera & cheer from the bench with an awesome helmet).

• Wrigley Rat 3 days 20 hours ago (view)

This site is great! It's pretty much the only Cubs site I visit daily, other than a Google search for Cubs news. 90% of the information I get on Cubs prospects is from here. Commenters are usually very respectful and it seems that most are well-informed or want to be. I'm hoping the site can continue. Thanks to everyone who contributes to its content! :)

• George Altman 3 days 22 hours ago (view)

I'd like to add, without meaning to take a superior attitude, that ALL the content and commentators on TCR are a step above every other Cubs Blog I've seen. I'm better informed, better briefed about not only what's happening but what's likely to happen.

You all have made me a better Cubs fan. Whatever happens,  thank you.

• Charlie 4 days 2 hours ago (view)

I will be happy to continue to do gameday posts for another season and would like to keep the site active. Thanks for your labor!

Sorry for all the delayed and abbreviated posts at season's end, by the way.

• fullykräusened 4 days 4 hours ago (view)

Like the other posters, I don't post often, but have enjoyed Arizona Phil and crunch (who was right about Jason Heyward :) ). I am grateful for all the work that has gone into maintaining the site, and whatever you want to do to make it work is okay with me!

• Cubster 4 days 8 hours ago (view)

Chiming in that TCR is still a major part of my daily Cub routine and has always been my browser homepage. The site contains much love for AZ Phil and his subtle sense of humor as the war correspondent for the Arizona Scoring Service.

"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"

• Hagsag 4 days 11 hours ago (view)

Thank you forTCR, and it is the first site I check daily. Please keep it going.