Rizzomania

Patience young Jedi...

Ratso Rizzo (in Midnight Cowboy, 1969)Anthony Rizzo's career starts Tuesday night 7pm CST at Wrigley Field vs the NY Mets righty Dillon Gee. Rizzo was pulled after two at bats in today's Iowa Cubs 2-1 win vs. Round Rock, including a strikeout and a flyout to CF. He ends his Iowa  career, barring a future demotion (God Forbid!), with the line: .342/23 HR/62 RBI.

The good news is I was able to sell the monday game vs the Mets but never put the tuesday game on Stubhub. Nothing more fun than to see a prodigal prospect in his first game.

Here are the confirmations:

Rizzo is coming. He'll join Cubs on Tuesday

The Chicago Cubs will call up top prospect Anthony Rizzo, and the slugging first baseman is expected to make his 2012 debut Tuesday against the New York Mets, according to a source. Rizzo was pulled from the Iowa Cubs game in the fourth inning on Monday and left the ballpark to make his way to Chicago. He won't be activated until Tuesday.

and here is the last Cub Rizzo-less lineup for hopefully quite some time (also per a Muskat tweet):

Johnson RF, Barney 2b, Castro ss, Soriano lf, Baker 1b, Soto c, Mather cf, Valbuena 3b, T. Wood p. No Rizzo yet

...and I don't know how Sveum will ever win another game vs lefty starters without his precious Jeff Baker at 1B. Oh, wait, they don't win with this lineup. The Cubs record this season vs LHP is 3-16.

Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake, Baker's man.
Bake me a cake as fast as you can;
Pat it and frost it and light it with  RIZZO candles...

Comments

Ex #Cubs Marlon Byrd gets 50-game suspension after testing positive for performance enhancing substance bump it up here... drug was Tamoxifen, used in breast cancer treatment

Why is that un-shocking? I guess it sort of depends on when this test was administered, but he sure has achieved a whole new level of suck this year...

in hbo piece, marlon byrd famously refused to dump @victorconte as his trainer. this wont be good for business

I get the Conte connection, but what I don't get is how it is un-shocking that he only got caught when he started to REALLY suck...

It's not shocking that he is taking drugs to stop the spread of sucking. It is shocking that he would take something that has potentially life threatening side effects.

it's probably more shocking how many "regular people" use estrogen blockers like it's nothing when they're trying to bulk. i'm not sure what's more dangerous...the roids people take or the dozen other supplements they take to get that extra small edge out of it while cycling up/down. at least this guy has a minimum wage of 400K on the line and a vet's pay for $1m+ if he can remain reed-johnson-level decent...not like it makes it better...just makes more sense.

plenty of shitty players caught using PED's as well as the HOF'ers. lot of smoke around the Marlon Byrd fire the last few years was the gist of my comment

What a problem our manger has after tonight against lefties. Who do you sit out of Baker, Mather and Johnson? The first two have especially helped with our record against lefties. You don't suppose he would continue with those 3 and sit Rizzo? It wouldn't surprise me.

Byrd and Conte http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?... Tamoxifen puts a whole new twist on using those pink bats for mother's day

drug was Tamoxifen, used in breast cancer treatment -----
Luteinizing hormone (LH) is produced by the pituitary gland, which is located at the base of the brain. Normally, the peptide hormone regulates the level of testosterone in males and the ovulation-signaling estrogen in females. In men, excess LH or synthetic forms of LH, such as tamoxifen, boosts levels of testosterone and so produces the increased muscle mass.
Tamoxifen isn't used as a masking agent. Luteinizing Hormone is a female hormone which in women is a signal to initiate ovulation. In men...maybe that's the problem. Byrd is pregnant.

“I made an inexcusable mistake. Several years ago, I had surgery for a condition that was private and unrelated to baseball. Last winter, I suffered a recurrence of that condition and I was provided with a medication that resulted in my positive test. Although that medication is on the banned list, I absolutely did not use it for performance enhancement reasons. I am mortified by my carelessness and I apologize to everyone who loves this game as I do. I will serve my suspension, continue to work hard and hope that I am given an opportunity to help a club win later this season.”

yeah...okay, sure, right, whatever. hi, i'm a multi-millionaire...i got something that popped up and rather than going to see a doctor...or the team doctor...i'm going to self-medicate some years-old chemo meds. make sense.

Let's play the Guess which steroid game: Glendon Rusch had cravings for ice cream and pickles

Does the statement imply that a doctor was not invovled? He was "provided with a medication." Doctors usually do that kind of thing.

"doctors" will also hand out medical marijuana cards to anyone claiming to have chronic back pain...even if it takes a little coaching to get the patient to say the magic words that can make that card possible. and yeah, he claimed it was new meds rather than old meds...which makes it about as suspect as all those people who get "mentally ill" permits to bring their ratdogs on airplanes. also, i think the mental health exemptions for ADD/anxiety/etc that lets MLB players take "legal speed" is about twice that of the normal population. yeah, i don't got anything but speculation, but i feel comfortable implying he's being a fucktard based on how roiders use estrogen blockers...and how i doubt he needs chemo.

• Charlie 3 hours 40 min ago (view)

Yeah, it seems like I lean more toward overvaluing Bryant than most commenters here. Also, I completely stopped following prospect lists once the Cubs were good again, so I'm out of the loop on Pache especially. I had imagined that the Cubs would be looking more for immediate major league value rather than a projectable prospect, but I guess if you really like Pache you don't mind waiting a couple years.

• K Dub 10 hours 25 min ago (view)

PHIL: Excellent breakdown, Phil. Thanks.

I'm sure you heard. QO value was set at $17.8 million the day after you made your post.

• K Dub 10 hours 32 min ago (view)

Pache, Wright, Muller and Riley feels light to you, Charlie? I respect your opinion, but I would jump at it. I highly doubt the Braves would do it, though. Were talking 2 years of Bryant at what could be 18 million and 28-30 million in his last year of arbitration.

The Cubs would be hurting their chances next year and building for 2021 in a deal like that, but that's rebuilding/retooling in one fell swoop.

• Arizona Phil 2 days 14 hours ago (view)

CHARLIE: Austin Riley is actually a third-baseman but he had to play LF for the Braves in 2019 because he was blocked by Josh Donaldson, and Cristian Pache is considered to be the best defensive centerfielder in the minors and his bat has improved enough over the past year or two to where he is now rated in or just outside the top ten overall prospects in MLB.

So a package that includes Riley and Pache and one of the Braves young MLB or MLB-ready SP would probably be more than enough to get the Cubs to bite.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 2 days 17 hours ago (view)

Max Fried or Bryse Wilson

• crunch 2 days 18 hours ago (view)

t.skaggs story keeps getting deeper.

allegations the team knew about skagg's drug abuse (also his family).  teams are required to report this to MLB.

• Charlie 2 days 20 hours ago (view)

Except for the headline, the linked post reads more like a trade hypothetical than a trade rumor. I like the idea of looking at this package as a discussion point for expected return for Bryant. I would say it feels a little light to me. It's deep, with two decent outfield prospects with upside and two OK pitching prospects. But Riley doesn't help the team solve the CF problem right now, so he's either redundant to Bote or sort of a Schwarber replacement. Muller's inflated BB% at AA this year worries me a bit too.

• Cubster 3 days 3 hours ago (view)

I might have missed something and it's been talked about regarding a KB trade rumor from about 10-9-19.

Braves receive: 3B Kris Bryant

• crunch 4 days 16 hours ago (view)

they get 3 guys and the cubs get 1 guy.  sounds like a slam dunk for the angels.  pencil trout in the cubs lineup.  he's got upside.

• Jackstraw 4 days 19 hours ago (view)

I'd hate to part with both Kemp and Chatwood, but if it will bring that Trout guy back, we could even throw in Almora.

• crunch 4 days 22 hours ago (view)

the ricketts got a brazillian dollar tax break...they need to trickle that down and flex on the entire league.

we gonna get grandal, rendon, castellanos, g.cole, strasburg, ryu, a.chapman...maybe sign bumgarner and odorizzi to work the pen.

• Arizona Phil 4 days 22 hours ago (view)

CHARLIE: If the Cubs trade Quintana and his new club pays 100% of his 2020 salary his new club assumes 100% of his salary AAV liability, but if the Cubs agree to pay a portion of Quintana's 2020 salary as part of the trade, whatever portion of Quintana's 2020 salary that is paid by the Cubs would count against the Cubs 2020 AAV.

• Charlie 4 days 23 hours ago (view)

PHIL: Thanks for that Boston context--I hadn't realized the trend there. If the Cubs did decide to pick up Quintana's option and then trade him (assuming the Cubs would not agree to pay part of the contract as part of the trade), do they have to do that by a certain date in order for Quintana's contract not to count against them for the CBT? I haven't been able to find any dates attached to the CBT in a quick internet search.

• Arizona Phil 5 days 12 min ago (view)

My presumption in the Cubs declining Jose Quintana's 2020 club option as well as declining the club options on the veteran relievers who have one and non-tendering Addison Russell (and this also applies to Joe Maddon not returning as manager in 2020) is that after the monumental late-September collapse of 2019 on the heels of the 2018 Game #163 and Wild Card game defeats Ricketts will no longer accept the Cubs payroll going over the CBT threshold ($208M AAV in 2020) or extending a manager making $5M a year.

• crunch 5 days 5 hours ago (view)

i actually like ATL the team...the fans and the 3+ hours of tommy hawk chawpin' non-stop is beyond annoying before even getting into how messed up it is they're still doing that in 2019.  it's all they do, just that 1 single thing...for hours...

fans were so upset about not getting foam hatchets pre-game yesterday (that was the club's way to "dial it back") they were busy letting the "PC police" know they're here to chant and chop as loud as they could before the first pitch was even thrown.

it took about 10 runs to shut them up.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 5 days 19 hours ago (view)

Damn. Atlanta was the only team in the NL I was hoping would advance. I don’t know what I was hoping in LA vs WAS series. Cataclysmic event? (Side note, I live in the DC area, what a dreadful group of fans. They deserve nothing good ever.)