PLAYERS SELECTED BY CUBS IN MAJOR LEAGUE PHASE:
Trevor Megill, RHP (selected by Cubs from San Diego Padres AAA El Paso reserve list)
CUBS MINOR LEAGUERS SELECTED IN MAJOR LEAGUE PHASE:
1. Vimael Machin, INF (selected by Philadelphia Phillies from Cubs AAA Iowa reserve list)
NOTE: Phillies subsequently traded Machin to Oakland A's
2. Michael Rucker, RHP (selected by Baltimore Orioles from Cubs AAA Iowa reserve list)
PLAYERS SELECTED BY CUBS IN AAA PHASE:
1. Brock Stewart, RHP (selected by Cubs for AAA Iowa from Toronto Blue Jays AA New Hampshire reserve list)
2. Jerrick Suiter, 1B (selected by Cubs for AAA Iowa from Pittsburgh Pirates AA Altoona reserve list)
3. Vance Vizcaino, OF (selected by Cubs for AAA Iowa from Colorado Rockies AA Hartford reserve list)
4. David Masters, INF (selected by Cubs for AAA Iowa from Washington Nationals AA Harrisburg reserve list)
CUBS MINOR LEAGUERS SELECTED IN AAA PHASE:
1. Faustino Carrera, LHP (selected from Cubs AA Tennessee reserve list by Tampa Bay Rays for AAA Durham affiliate)
2. Carlos Sepulveda, INF (selected from Cubs AA Tennessee reserve list by Los Angeles Dodgers for AAA Oklahoma City affiliate)
Archive - Dec 2019
The Cubs have signed RHRP Dan Winkler to a 2020 MLB contract. The deal reportedly includes a $750K MLB salary and $750K more in potential performance bonuses with a $200K minor league split salary.
Winkler features a 90 MPH cutter (his bread & butter pitch), a low 80's slider and a low-90's FB, and an occasional CH, all thrown from a low 3/4 arm slot, somewhat like Steve Cishek. So think of Winkler as Cishek's probable bargain-bin replacement in the pen.
The Cubs have tendered 2020 contracts to all unsigned players on their MLB 40-man roster except LHRP Danny Hultzen and INF Addison Russell, and RHP Jharel Cotton has agreed to a $640K 2020 non-guaranteed contract to avoid being non-tendered (see ORIGINAL POST below for the reasons).
So Hultzen and Russell have been removed from the Cubs MLB 40-man roster and both are now unrestricted free-agents, free to sign a major league or minor league contract with any club, including the Cubs.
NOTE: The Cubs MLB Reserve List now stands at 36 (four slots are open).
It's likely that the Cubs have tentatively agreed (in advance) to sign Hultzen to a minor league contract after the Rule 5 Draft (with an NRI to Spring Training and for more money than he would have received if he had remained on the 40 -- as happened with Allen Webster a year ago) - AS LONG AS - Hultzen does not receive an MLB contract offer (which would include a slot on an MLB 40-man roster) for even more money from another club in the interim (which is exactly what happened after the Cubs non-tendered Ronald Torreyes a year ago), or a substantial salary offer from an NPB (Japanese) club (as happened after the Cubs non-tendered Justin Hancock last year).
11/26 ORIGINAL POST: