Kevonte Mitchell (RBI single), Michael Foster (RBI double), and Vimael Machin (RBI single) stroked run-scoring hits and RHP Jesus Castillo tossed four innings of one-run ball with seven strikeouts, helping the Cubs edge the Diamondbacks 3-2 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning on Ramada Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Joel Novas belted an RBI triple and a double for the Diamondbacks in a losing cause.
The game was called by mutual consent after7-1/2 innings of play.
On the Cubs MLB 15-day DL since Spring Training with right shoulder inflammation, RHSP Dallas Beeler saw his first Cactus League EXST game action since being shut-down mid-AB in a rehab start at Riverview Park on April 30th. Beeler threw a 1-2-3 inning (14 pitches) with two strikeouts today, and is scheduled to make his next start (where the number of innings and pitches will be increased) early next week
Prior to the Cactus League EXST game, RHSP Jen-Ho Tseng (on AA Tennessee DL since May 9th with right shoulder inflammation) threw a two-inning 40-pitch "live" BP session at Riverview Park and looked very good. Whether he will return directly to Tennessee or make a rehab start or two at EXST is TBD.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RHRP Daniel Lewis has been moved-up to Myrtle Beach. Lewis was one of the last pitchers cut from the South Bend roster at the end of Minor League Camp, so it is not surpising that he got the call. Lewis served four years in the U. S. Air Force after graduating from high school, and was discovered by a Cubs scout pitching at Pensacola JC in Florida in 2014. He's 25, but because of the years lost to military service he still has a "young arm" (he's only been pitching for two years). He throws hard (a 94-96 MPH fastball that touches 97 and a mid-80's slider), and is a fierce competitor.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. Ruben Reyes, LF: 1-4 (P-4, K, K, 1B, CS)
2. Roberto Caro, CF: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 5-3, K, R, SB)
3. Vimael Machin, SS: 1-4 (1-3, 1B, 6-3, L-1, RBI, SB)
4. Kevonte Mitchell, DH #1: 1-2 (1B, K, BB, RBI)
5. Marcus Mastrobuoni, 1B: 0-3 (F-9, F-7, 4-3)
6. Kwang-Min Kwon, RF: 0-2 (F-8, 3-U, BB)
7. Jhonny Pereda, C: 0-3 (F-7, 6-3, 6-4 FC)
8. Rafael Mejia, 3B: 0-3 (K, E-5, 6-3)
9. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 1-2 (1B, K, BB, R, PO)
10. Michael Foster, DH #2: 1-3 (2B, F-7, F-9, R, RBI)
1. Dallas Beeler: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 14 pitches (10 strikes)
2. Jesus Castillo: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 7 K, 1 HBP, 3/1 GO/AO, 53 pitches (38 strikes)
3. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 16 pitches (10 strikes)
4. Alexander Santana: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 3/0 GO/AO, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: NONE
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jhonny Pereda: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's