Koskie Calls It Quits

So I take off for a few days and...I hope he uses these newfound powers for good in the future. An article from Muskat at cubs.com does say that Koskie has and has quit baseball for good.

My brush with baseball while I was in Las Vegas for three days was seeing Pete Rose at a "Field of Dreams" store doing an autograph signing. Appropriately he was counting the money he had made as I passed by...a shame

Cubs take on the White Sox today and the game is on MLB.tv at least. Here is the Cubs' of Muskat:

LF Alfonso Soriano, SS Ryan Theriot, CF Reed Johnson, DH Milton
Bradley, 1B Jake Fox, 3B Mike Fontenot, 2B Aaron Miles, C Koyie Hill,
RF So Taguchi.

Sean Marshall will be doing the starting.

Comments

The Koyie Hill Effect: update Ron Santo just said that this spring Sean Marshall's fastball is 5 MPH faster than last year. I will allow myself an LOL!

seconded.

Lou just said he's going to play the "regular lineup" more often now. Good to see DH Bradley out there in RF. Says he's going to make a decision on the backup catcher sometime next weekend. Says he has another mystery member of the bullpen (besides Gregg, Marmol, Cotts and Heilman) already picked out, just doesn't want the media to run with it. Thinks that Hoffpauir will do better in the outfield once he's positioned (the Cubs have just been playing OF spots straight away) and doesn't have to deal with the high Arizona sky and the big outfields of spring training parks. Hopes to get him more PA's if he can handle the OF corners okay.

"Says he has another mystery member of the bullpen (besides Gregg, Marmol, Cotts and Heilman) already picked out, just doesn't want the media to run with it." cool, patton.

Maybe not. There was an article somewhere that Gaudin was going to get a spot for sure, even though he's sucked. Sorry I don't have the link.

yeah, could be. i was just taking a shot in the dark...i got nothing on the situation.

good on ya koskie...go take your millions and take care of the rest of your life. props.

Game today on MLB Network...and oddly...like yesterday...it's on a 1 hour delay.

woo...1 hour delayed cubs vs. wsox =p i dont understand this one...esp. 2 days in a row doing it.

"...a shame I didn't have my 1972 Topps card of him on me." A shame you didn't have a video camera crew for that one ...

I only have the Cawk & BJ broadcast. Guess I'll have to mute it today.

steve stone in the 1st was telling the world how to strike out soriano...first you blah blah then you blah blah then low and outside and it's a strikeout every time! ah steve...your coaching and managerial skills on your resume just can't seem to make it past the microphone for some reason. also had to sit through my first "he gone!"...ugg.

Thanks Crunch... i turned on Comcast and Jake Fox smacks one for a 12-2 lead... then i see your post and flip over to MLB Network and its only 3-1 Cubs... now i get to show the wife my ESP skills!

It's funny listening to Hawk and Stoney. Stoney keeps talking about the Cubs - the moves they've made, the players they have, etc. Hawk tries to guide him back to the Sox but Stoney keeps drifting back.

Hawk and Stoney? Really? DJ is gone? Too bad, I really liked the Chip-Stone team when they were calling games a few years ago.

DJ is the radio analyst with Farmer. More potent than ambien. http://www.drugs.com/ambien.html

Did Cubs announce the date for Koskie's jersey retirement?

• Wrigley Rat 32 min ago (view)

For anyone hoping to watch the Marquee Network this spring:  I'll be signing up for a free week of AT&T TV NOW (streaming service) on Sunday morning: https://www.atttvnow.com/accounts/select-plan - Marquee Network will be replaying Saturday's Spring Training opener at 7am Central and will have the Sunday game at 2pm: https://www.marqueesportsnetwork.com/schedule/febr....

• crunch 4 hours 5 min ago (view)

Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales
    From Cubs:  Marquee available in Chicago area through following providers:
    DIRECTV (channel 664); AT&T U-verse in SD (channel 740) and HD (channel 1740); RCN (channels 377 and 679 (HD))
    MetroNet (channel 29); TVision (channel 100). Iowa’s Mediacom (Ch. 51; 768/668 in HD)

• Hagsag 4 hours 53 min ago (view)

I have Direct TV. I called them today., asked what was the channel #?They didn't know.

• crunch 5 hours 34 min ago (view)

1pm central

there's still people figuring out if they actually will have the channel or not...it's been a weird mess.  don't think comcast is on board yet and directv just slid in under the deadline with a deal to carry it.  hulu has the channel, but supposedly they're not going to start carrying it for weeks.

• Hagsag 6 hours 39 min ago (view)

Ok, so what time will Marque go on the air ways?

• crunch 7 hours 12 min ago (view)

tomorrow's game has been moved to 6:10 MST (7:10 central) because of a threat of bad weather...sweet.

• JustSayin' 1 day 2 hours ago (view)

Solid % improvement for minor leaguers and nice to see the Cubs among the first organizations to break ranks to the upside.  Three comments: 1. Yes, the bonus babies have already BEEN paid but that is the minority of these young men.  2.

• crunch 1 day 5 hours ago (view)

more spring news...

i.happ expected to primarily play CF this spring.  rizzo expected to primarily hit 2nd going into the season.

• Charlie 1 day 11 hours ago (view)

That's fair. And  the discussion would be different if Almora were heads and shoulders above Happ defensively, which seems (surprisingly) not to be the case.

• bradsbeard 1 day 11 hours ago (view)

I'm not ready to write him off from the right side just yet. One of the things I believe about Happ is that switch hitters in general just take longer to establish themselves as hitters due to having to develop and maintain two separate swings. Given that he sees fewer lefties, you kind of have to give him a little more leeway to develop there I think.

• Arizona Phil 1 day 11 hours ago (view)

jdrnym: No word yet on 2020 minor league active roster limits, but I doubt they will do anything new since the minor league 7-day IL with no doctor's note required (sometimes called the "phantom IL") allows clubs to easily rotate guys (especially pitchers) back & forth/on & off the active list.

• Charlie 1 day 11 hours ago (view)

I didn't realize until today that the new network will be broadcasting almost every spring training game. Just a heads up for anyone else expecting the usual 4-6 broadcasts.

• Charlie 1 day 11 hours ago (view)

I think he's going to strike out over 25% of the time, but he's shown that he can be an above average overall hitter even if he's only batting .230-.250.

I'm also not a big fan of the swing, and I'd be very skeptical of him if the ball is deadened. Stats suggest he'd benefit from a true platoon despite being a switch hitter. Sure would be nice if Almora could hold up the other end competently.

• Hagsag 1 day 11 hours ago (view)

Kelly C. to the Braves. Damn it.

• First.Pitch.120 1 day 12 hours ago (view)

Let us know if you see Dunderwood shagging flyballs in the OF...

• First.Pitch.120 1 day 13 hours ago (view)

Re: 6-8, w/ JHey in the 6 hole there are a lot of interesting things that can happen 7-9. You have the 2B slot, Happ (CF), & P slot.  Happ is a Switch hitter (though admittedly better LHH), roster looks to be long on 2B options from both sides (quality issues TBD, but promising IMHO), & a slot you with pinch hit for at least x2/gm. Lots of dbl switch possibilities (w/o jacking up the rest of your lineup)

That creates some brutal match up decisions for the opposing mgr right before recycling back to Bryzzo.