Koskie Calls It Quits

So I take off for a few days and...I hope he uses these newfound powers for good in the future. An article from Muskat at cubs.com does say that Koskie has and has quit baseball for good.

My brush with baseball while I was in Las Vegas for three days was seeing Pete Rose at a "Field of Dreams" store doing an autograph signing. Appropriately he was counting the money he had made as I passed by...a shame

Cubs take on the White Sox today and the game is on MLB.tv at least. Here is the Cubs' of Muskat:

LF Alfonso Soriano, SS Ryan Theriot, CF Reed Johnson, DH Milton
Bradley, 1B Jake Fox, 3B Mike Fontenot, 2B Aaron Miles, C Koyie Hill,
RF So Taguchi.

Sean Marshall will be doing the starting.

Comments

The Koyie Hill Effect: update Ron Santo just said that this spring Sean Marshall's fastball is 5 MPH faster than last year. I will allow myself an LOL!

seconded.

Lou just said he's going to play the "regular lineup" more often now. Good to see DH Bradley out there in RF. Says he's going to make a decision on the backup catcher sometime next weekend. Says he has another mystery member of the bullpen (besides Gregg, Marmol, Cotts and Heilman) already picked out, just doesn't want the media to run with it. Thinks that Hoffpauir will do better in the outfield once he's positioned (the Cubs have just been playing OF spots straight away) and doesn't have to deal with the high Arizona sky and the big outfields of spring training parks. Hopes to get him more PA's if he can handle the OF corners okay.

"Says he has another mystery member of the bullpen (besides Gregg, Marmol, Cotts and Heilman) already picked out, just doesn't want the media to run with it." cool, patton.

Maybe not. There was an article somewhere that Gaudin was going to get a spot for sure, even though he's sucked. Sorry I don't have the link.

yeah, could be. i was just taking a shot in the dark...i got nothing on the situation.

good on ya koskie...go take your millions and take care of the rest of your life. props.

Game today on MLB Network...and oddly...like yesterday...it's on a 1 hour delay.

woo...1 hour delayed cubs vs. wsox =p i dont understand this one...esp. 2 days in a row doing it.

"...a shame I didn't have my 1972 Topps card of him on me." A shame you didn't have a video camera crew for that one ...

I only have the Cawk & BJ broadcast. Guess I'll have to mute it today.

steve stone in the 1st was telling the world how to strike out soriano...first you blah blah then you blah blah then low and outside and it's a strikeout every time! ah steve...your coaching and managerial skills on your resume just can't seem to make it past the microphone for some reason. also had to sit through my first "he gone!"...ugg.

Thanks Crunch... i turned on Comcast and Jake Fox smacks one for a 12-2 lead... then i see your post and flip over to MLB Network and its only 3-1 Cubs... now i get to show the wife my ESP skills!

It's funny listening to Hawk and Stoney. Stoney keeps talking about the Cubs - the moves they've made, the players they have, etc. Hawk tries to guide him back to the Sox but Stoney keeps drifting back.

Hawk and Stoney? Really? DJ is gone? Too bad, I really liked the Chip-Stone team when they were calling games a few years ago.

DJ is the radio analyst with Farmer. More potent than ambien. http://www.drugs.com/ambien.html

Did Cubs announce the date for Koskie's jersey retirement?

• crunch 13 hours 46 min ago (view)

the scary part of this team-wide slump, and especially this series, is PIT is basically a AAA level talent team that had 15 wins all season coming into the cubs series.

cubs are limping into the post-season.  heyward is pretty much the only consistent hitter.  well, technically jose martinez has been consistent, too.

• blockhead25 14 hours 4 min ago (view)

Hey, anything could happen.  They could win 4 2-1 games in a series.

Or lose 8-0, 6-0 in the first round and be done.

• Charlie 14 hours 24 min ago (view)

3 days left to get psyched for the post season?

• blockhead25 15 hours 18 min ago (view)

This is an impressive level of offensive offense.  This week feels like the final week of 2018 when we also had a lousy 4 game series with the Pirates, just without one of the other teams winning the final 8 games to catch us.

• QuietMan 17 hours 53 min ago (view)

So whatever happened to the don't pitch Mills the day after Hendricks plan?

• crunch 18 hours 8 min ago (view)

rizzo / contreras(DH) / heyward / schwarber / maybin(CF) / kipnis / baez / caratini / bote

• Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 46 min ago (view)

I agree with all of this. I think KB is traded for a SP. I guess here is my guess at the pitchers:

Darvish

Hendricks

Trade Acquisition

Cheap FA

Mills/ Alzolay

Bullpen: Mills/ Alzolay, Underwood, Adam, Tepera, Wick, Kimbrel, Ryan, Wieck (Alzolay if he loses the 5th spot battle with Mills is still starter number 6, and likely being groomed to join the rotation either later in the year or 2022)

• Charlie 1 day 12 hours ago (view)

Frazier beat him on an inside corner two-seamer (albeit belt high), but the Hayes homer came on an 0-2 meatball. Not very professorial.

• crunch 1 day 12 hours ago (view)

hendricks starts the game giving up back to back homers.  wtf...

• crunch 1 day 15 hours ago (view)

happ / rizzo / contreras / schwarber(DH) / maybin(LF) / heyward / baez / kipnis / bote

• George Altman 1 day 16 hours ago (view)

Let's hope so. It would be great next year to NOT have to 'piece together a bullpen'.

• Arizona Phil 1 day 16 hours ago (view)

DJL: I think that if Lester, Chatwood, Quintana, Jeffress, and Chafin leave via free-agency and do not return or are not replaced by at least one veteran MLB FA SP, the default Cubs 2021 Opening Day pitching staff will be Darvish, Hendricks, Mills (out of options), Alzolay (could be out of options - TBD), and either Rea, T. Miller, Steele, Abbott, Marquez, or D.

• Arizona Phil 1 day 17 hours ago (view)

I understand that any team can win a three-game series, but if I'm a division winner I'd want to be the #3 seed rather than the #2 seed in both the A. L. and the N. L., because I would rather face the worst second place team (Houston in the A. L. and probably Miami or Philadelphia in N. L.) than the best wild card team (Cleveland in the A. L. and probably Cincinnati or Milwaukee in the N.L.).

• Hagsag 2 days 1 hour ago (view)

Maybe, if he makes the roster!

• Charlie 2 days 7 hours ago (view)

Jose Martinez is going to hit some big post season homerun, isn't he?

• Cubster 2 days 9 hours ago (view)

Is the Chafin experiment over yet?