Koskie Calls It Quits

So I take off for a few days and...I hope he uses these newfound powers for good in the future. An article from Muskat at cubs.com does say that Koskie has and has quit baseball for good.

My brush with baseball while I was in Las Vegas for three days was seeing Pete Rose at a "Field of Dreams" store doing an autograph signing. Appropriately he was counting the money he had made as I passed by...a shame

Cubs take on the White Sox today and the game is on MLB.tv at least. Here is the Cubs' of Muskat:

LF Alfonso Soriano, SS Ryan Theriot, CF Reed Johnson, DH Milton
Bradley, 1B Jake Fox, 3B Mike Fontenot, 2B Aaron Miles, C Koyie Hill,
RF So Taguchi.

Sean Marshall will be doing the starting.

Comments

The Koyie Hill Effect: update Ron Santo just said that this spring Sean Marshall's fastball is 5 MPH faster than last year. I will allow myself an LOL!

seconded.

Lou just said he's going to play the "regular lineup" more often now. Good to see DH Bradley out there in RF. Says he's going to make a decision on the backup catcher sometime next weekend. Says he has another mystery member of the bullpen (besides Gregg, Marmol, Cotts and Heilman) already picked out, just doesn't want the media to run with it. Thinks that Hoffpauir will do better in the outfield once he's positioned (the Cubs have just been playing OF spots straight away) and doesn't have to deal with the high Arizona sky and the big outfields of spring training parks. Hopes to get him more PA's if he can handle the OF corners okay.

"Says he has another mystery member of the bullpen (besides Gregg, Marmol, Cotts and Heilman) already picked out, just doesn't want the media to run with it." cool, patton.

Maybe not. There was an article somewhere that Gaudin was going to get a spot for sure, even though he's sucked. Sorry I don't have the link.

yeah, could be. i was just taking a shot in the dark...i got nothing on the situation.

good on ya koskie...go take your millions and take care of the rest of your life. props.

Game today on MLB Network...and oddly...like yesterday...it's on a 1 hour delay.

woo...1 hour delayed cubs vs. wsox =p i dont understand this one...esp. 2 days in a row doing it.

"...a shame I didn't have my 1972 Topps card of him on me." A shame you didn't have a video camera crew for that one ...

I only have the Cawk & BJ broadcast. Guess I'll have to mute it today.

steve stone in the 1st was telling the world how to strike out soriano...first you blah blah then you blah blah then low and outside and it's a strikeout every time! ah steve...your coaching and managerial skills on your resume just can't seem to make it past the microphone for some reason. also had to sit through my first "he gone!"...ugg.

Thanks Crunch... i turned on Comcast and Jake Fox smacks one for a 12-2 lead... then i see your post and flip over to MLB Network and its only 3-1 Cubs... now i get to show the wife my ESP skills!

It's funny listening to Hawk and Stoney. Stoney keeps talking about the Cubs - the moves they've made, the players they have, etc. Hawk tries to guide him back to the Sox but Stoney keeps drifting back.

Hawk and Stoney? Really? DJ is gone? Too bad, I really liked the Chip-Stone team when they were calling games a few years ago.

DJ is the radio analyst with Farmer. More potent than ambien. http://www.drugs.com/ambien.html

Did Cubs announce the date for Koskie's jersey retirement?

• crunch 31 min 48 sec ago (view)

"Jeff Passan of ESPN writes that the players and league agreed that the 2020 season won't start until "there are no bans on mass gatherings that limit the ability to play in front of fans, there are no travel restrictions and medical experts determine games will not pose a risk to health of teams and fans." Passan does add that the two sides "will consider the feasibility of playing in empty stadiums" and also at neutral sites.

• crunch 6 hours 22 min ago (view)

i miss baseball.  it could happen in june...it may happen in late may...it might not happen either way.

there's so many things getting messed up right now i would get lost making a list.  there's some college guys making a serious "okay, we need to look at that guy" push that's dead.  former cubs draft pick russell smith (2017, LHP highschool) took last season off for injury (TCU college) and returned with a low 90s fastball, impressive control, and a MLB-quality changeup.  his "comeback" was 4 games and done thanks to this current situation...

• JustSayin' 8 hours 50 min ago (view)

COVID 19 + a short draft + Manfred's obsessive drive to shrink the minor leagues will change baseball forever.  It WAS still America's grass roots sport.  Where I live, from June through August, you could see a quality live game any day of the week, within an hour's drive.  I believe that era is over.  What's going on will have ripple effects, contracting serious college ball, college summer leagues and independent pro ball just as much as the MiLB systems.  With those changes, some of the game's charm will also go.  I've seen a kid from Cape Cod play in the Ca

• crunch 1 day 6 hours ago (view)

fyi for anyone who bought MLB.tv

for "some reason" getting a cancel+refund via phone is like pulling teeth, but if you contact them via a webpage contact request many people are getting a cancel+refund confirmation within an hour or 2...

• bradsbeard 1 day 14 hours ago (view)

I imagine because the new labor agreement freezes rosters as of whenever the agreement is approved by the owners and it might affect what those guys are paid under the agreement.

• Hagsag 1 day 15 hours ago (view)

AZ Phil. what was the reason that a whole bunch of teams optioned or assigned players to the minor leagues yesterday on March 26 ? Thanks.

• Arizona Phil 1 day 19 hours ago (view)

jdrnym: Ordinarily, players on an MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) who are on Optional Assignment to the minors do not accrue MLB Service Time, are paid at the minor league rate rather than at the MLB rate if the player has a "split" contract, and if the player gets hurt or becomes sick after being optioned, he can be placed on a minor league IL instead of on an MLB IL (so that he cannot accrue MLB Service Time or be paid at the MLB rate while he is on the IL). Also, a player who is optioned to the minors for at least 20 days will burn an option year.

• jdrnym 2 days 8 hours ago (view)

AZPhil, what are the technical ramifications of optioning/not optioning guys during this period of no baseball? Seems like some teams are more eager than others to trim their roster down.

• crunch 3 days 11 hours ago (view)

"Major League Baseball has agreed with the MLBPA to grant a full year of service time to players in 2020 regardless of how many games the schedule includes.

Rosenthal adds, however, that the two sides have agreed to "table discussions" on how much service time the players would receive if the worst-case scenario plays out and the 2020 season has to be canceled entirely due to the coronavirus pandemic."

---

• bradsbeard 5 days 6 hours ago (view)

This one has me scratching my head too. Surely they knew Lakins would have a hard time clearing waivers. Hate to just lose Pereda like that. Feels like they gave up more for Lakins than for Sadler, and I'm guessing Sadler might have been slightly more likely to clear waivers since he's out of options.

• Arizona Phil 5 days 6 hours ago (view)

I think the most puzzling aspect to the Travis Lakins Caper is that the only plausible reason for the Cubs to have struck a pre-emptive trade with the Red Sox instead of waiting and hoping to win a waiver claim is that the Cubs believed that another club with a better waiver claim priority would almost certainly claim him. So to ensure that they would be able to acquire Lakins, the Cubs must have offered the Red Sox something more than the $50,000 waiver price, otherwise there would have been no point in the Red Sox agreeing to the deal.

• crunch 5 days 9 hours ago (view)

RedSox acquire catcher Jhonny Pereda from the #Cubs, completing the January 21 trade for RHP Travis Lakins

...cubs lost lakins on waivers to BAL, btw

• erich081 5 days 22 hours ago (view)

I wore my Rick Wilkins #2 shirsey today and kept thinking real baseball was only a week away. And then I remembered this weird alternate reality we've seemed to have slipped into. Hope everyone stays healthy and safe.

• Hagsag 6 days 2 hours ago (view)

I am installing a padded room to sit in until this hell is over.

• Charlie 6 days 7 hours ago (view)

Watched it yesterday with my girlfriend and while Skyping my dad. It was fun to give her running commentary since she's only been a Cubs fan for the last five years.

• crunch 1 week 17 min ago (view)

MLB is sidestepping this "to the surface" pushing issue by choosing to "finacially support" minor league players according to a press release from a couple days ago.  minor league pay has been a recent source of embarrassment for MLB...

i have no idea how robust this assistant will be, but anything less than 100% for most players (no matter the source) would be a disservice to future of the game.