My Buddy

Thanks to reader Hollinger for this fantastic Photoshop work.

Comments

Hmmm....I was hoping the Photoshop work was Rob G's face on Mike Fontenot's body.

lol! Awesome.

“He is a carbon copy of Mike Fontenot,” said Oneri Fleita, the Cubs’ Vice President of Player Personnel. “He can hit and has learned to play third base, short and second. He’s a real gamer.

Nate Spears! What do I win? I believe AZ Phil has said in the past that he thinks Spears has less power than Mighty Mike, though.

Spears is the correct answer....

Current or former prospect? Theriot if it's former. Ryan Flaherty?

Wittenmeyer reporting that Fuld and Fox have been cut, with more cuts on the way this afternoon.

My buddy makes me think of this: http://cakeplow.com/uploaded_images/mybuddy.jpg

yeah, I used Whipple's idea for the title from the previous thread.

Ah, must have missed it. Kwam-pit-korng-pom. By the way, am I the only one who finds it unacceptable that Fontenot is wearing pants? http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i4/josephsh...

cakeplow dot com makes me think of this... http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TwK3s2Eg87g/SaubSQI...

I haven't been advertising for any spots in the fantasy head-to-head league I run each year at yahoo because, well, 16 of us all returned from last season to play this year.

One of us had to drop out, however, so if anyone here wants in, drop me an email at trans.at.tcr at gmail.com and I'll hook you up. The brief version: A head-to-head league that uses lots of stat categories with a mildly sabrmetric bent to it, and lots of active roster positions.

The big thing to know is that if a team goes "Dead" for thirty days (no activity from the owner) it will have its players dispersed to waivers to get redrafted by the rest of the league owners. So don't inquire about the league if you aren't convinced that you can stay active for the year. If you join, you get to play with 15 fellow Cubs fans in a very active and friendly league. Not a bad deal. Draft is this saturday.

The missing owner is me. I can vouch it's a fun league with cool people involved and now it's even cooler with me out of it. It's heavy on stats and I'm not a huge stat guy but it's easy to follow and alot of luck plays into it. Overall a thumbs up from me, I can't play due to heavier work load. Enjoy.

Actually, you're not the missing owner - your loss DROPPED us to 16, and we were fine, before this second loss.

So anyway, you get the "All Clear" and a "thanks" for the endorsement.

I think you would ban me from the league after you found out I'm watching "Twilight" with my wife right now.

I think Rob should ban you from TCR in general for admitting that. At least you have your priorities straight..cruising TCR while watching, shows your true allegiance.

that's alright, the Angel Fan Wife wants to watch it this weekend. She lets me chat online with anonymous baseball fans, I watch sappy movies with her. It's all about the give and take.

My question: Is she an LA of A Angels fan? Or is she actually an Angel that happens to be your wife? It appears to be the latter "yes honey, you can go live in your fantasy world with your anonymous friends"...pure gold... Joking aside, thanks Rob and the whole crew who make this site possible, TCR is what gets me through boring days at school.

well I like to think of her as an angel, but she does root for the Anaheim Angels. She doesn't recognize the LA Angels of A name.

She's a big fan of Scioscia and Pedro aka Vlad.

I watched that in the theater with my girlfriend. We both laughed the entire time. It is a terrible, terrible movie. The acting is atrocious, the dialogue is dumb, the whole thing feels like it takes place in like 3 days when in reality it was like 4 months. She liked the books, but we both agreed the movie was total crap.

my wife devoured the books in like 2 weeks and is a big fan. She's also a huge Harry Potter fan but thinks the movies are just okay, so I doubt she'll be too enthralled by the film, but it's her duty to watch it I think.

I don't mind the popularity of the whole Twilight series. I no longer have to tell people how to pronounce my name (Cullen), people just say 'oh, like the guy from Twilight'...yes, like the guy from twilight...i never thought it was a hard name to understand, but I guess people are dumb...But the down side is when i tell people my name they often responsed "oh, whats your first name"... My girlfriend ate the books up too. She refused to give into the trend, then borrowed the first one and has since read them all twice, seen the movie, and purchased it on DVD once it came out. Never tricked me into watching it though.

I'm also a huge Harry Potter fan (I love the deeper themes of love, friendship and moving forward in the face of unknowing, a/k/a faith). I somehow doubt that I'll ever have any interest in reading the Twilight books and so far, none of the females in my life seem like a candidate to be sucked in by the movie. However, if the right woman asked, I'd watch it with her and try not to snicker excessively. Especially if I thought it would put her in the mood... ("...a guy'll [watch] anything if he thinks it's foreplay." -- Annie Savoy, Bull Durham) See, made it topical.

Wow, made the front page. Thanks, guys.

• videographer 3 hours 13 min ago (view)

Darth Vader to rescue Carlos Correa's bruised ego.

• crunch 4 hours 32 min ago (view)

carlos correa has hired scott boras...

• bradsbeard 22 hours 57 min ago (view)

The IFA market isn't exactly an equal access thing. Not only do the Cubs have a slightly smaller bonus pool than some teams, players are often linked to teams through their trainers well before they are able to sign. It's not like when these kids are 14 that the teams know for sure that they have a top of the class player on their hands two years in the future.

• Wrigley Rat 1 day 19 min ago (view)

Cubbies.4ever - I read that the Cubs strategy with international free agents has been to spend most of their bonus money on young, position players and then take chances on cheaper, older pitching prospects who have been late bloomers (taller, stronger, more command of pitches, etc.). They are also grabbing guys at the end of the international signing period and signing them to future service contracts. They have six pitchers that were signed last year to future service contracts, and only one position player.

• cubbies.4ever 1 day 56 min ago (view)

Cubs IFA Signings are heavy on SS (given SS usually can play many positions as the develop), but only 1 pitcher.  Given it's still early.  Also disappointing that their best signing is #18.  Gone are the days of Soler, Eloy, Torres, Marquez, Amaya etc.  I believe Christian Hernandez last year was highly rated though.

• Wrigley Rat 1 day 18 hours ago (view)

One more international free agent signing announced today: Daniel Benschop, OF, Aruba

• bradsbeard 1 day 23 hours ago (view)

I hope all is well with AZ Phil. Hasn't posted in a few weeks and typically would expect him to have a post up tracking IFA signings. Maybe he's waiting for something official from the Cubs (who don't seem to have announced any of the signings officially)?

• Cubster 2 days 1 hour ago (view)

Les Grobstein dies at age 69. Encyclopedic Chicago historian and longtime sports talk overnight radio host, plus a controversial listen. https://www.robertfeder.com/2022/01/17/les-grobstein-1952-2022/

• Cubster 2 days 2 hours ago (view)

Hernandez ranks 18th on MLB's International prospect list. Sanchez ranks at #43.
    Tribune article today on the Cub https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cubs/ct-chicago-cubs-alexis-hernan...

• CubsCentral08 3 days 21 hours ago (view)

List is up to 12 now

Adan Sanchez, C/3B, Panama
    Alexis Hernandez, SS, Dominican Republic
    Jefferson Rojas, SS, Dominican Republic
    Josefrailyn Alcantata, OF, Dominican Republic
    Carlos Altuve, C, Venezuela
    Josias Ramirez, OF, Dominican Republic
    Moises Febrillet, SS, Dominican Republic
    Albertina Belliard, OF, Dominican Republic
    Yidel Diaz, C, Dominican Republic
    Freylin Silverio, RHP, Dominican Republic
    Sandy Sanchez, SS, Dominican Republic
    Darlin de Leon, SS, Dominican Republic

• Wrigley Rat 3 days 22 hours ago (view)

In addition to those signed today, it's worth noting that seven players were signed to future-service contracts during the last international free agent signing period, and are expected to make their system-debut this coming season (most likely in the Dominican Republic). Those players are:

• RHP - Luis Angel Reyes
    • LHP - Kevin Valdez
    • RHP - Jensi Ramirez
    • RHP - Yafrerlyn Vasquez
    • RHP - Eligio Paredes
    • RHP - Jair Jimenez
    • OF - Edward Vargas

• Wrigley Rat 3 days 22 hours ago (view)

The Cubs added four more International Free Agents so far today:

• Josias Ramirez, OF, Dominican Republic
    • Moises Febrillet, SS, Dominican Republic
    • Albertina Belliard, OF, Dominican Republic
    • Yidel Diaz, C, Dominican Republic

• Wrigley Rat 3 days 22 hours ago (view)

Sneak peak into the International Free Agent Signings that officially start tomorrow (Saturday):

Chicago Cubs ($5,179,700 total bonus pool) - 5 Signings (so far):

• Adan Sanchez, C/3B, Panama ($1,500,000 bonus)
    • Alexis Hernandez, SS, Dominican Republic ($1,300,000 bonus)
    • Jefferson Rojas, SS, Dominican Republic ($1,000,000 bonus)
    • Josefrailyn Alcantata, OF, Dominican Republic
    • Carlos Altuve, C, Venezuela

• crunch 4 days 9 hours ago (view)

wsox snagging cuban oscar colas...23 year old high end power prospect that could slot into the majors quickly.

they're building a hell of a batting core on the south side of town.

• Cubster 1 week 6 hours ago (view)

Jon Lester retires. Definitely one of the key people in their Theo era run.

• crunch 1 week 19 hours ago (view)

meeting on thursday.  hopefully this stuff can get done before going too deep into february.