Cubs MLB Roster

Cubs Organizational Depth Chart
40-Man Roster Info

40 players are on the MLB RESERVE LIST (roster is full), plus six players are on the 60-DAY IL

Last updated 10-2-2023

Nick Madrigal, INF
Ethan Roberts, P

Minor League Rosters
Rule 5 Draft
Minor League Free-Agents

My Buddy

Thanks to reader Hollinger for this fantastic Photoshop work.

Comments

Hmmm....I was hoping the Photoshop work was Rob G's face on Mike Fontenot's body.

“He is a carbon copy of Mike Fontenot,” said Oneri Fleita, the Cubs’ Vice President of Player Personnel. “He can hit and has learned to play third base, short and second. He’s a real gamer.

Wittenmeyer reporting that Fuld and Fox have been cut, with more cuts on the way this afternoon.

I haven't been advertising for any spots in the fantasy head-to-head league I run each year at yahoo because, well, 16 of us all returned from last season to play this year.

One of us had to drop out, however, so if anyone here wants in, drop me an email at trans.at.tcr at gmail.com and I'll hook you up. The brief version: A head-to-head league that uses lots of stat categories with a mildly sabrmetric bent to it, and lots of active roster positions.

The big thing to know is that if a team goes "Dead" for thirty days (no activity from the owner) it will have its players dispersed to waivers to get redrafted by the rest of the league owners. So don't inquire about the league if you aren't convinced that you can stay active for the year. If you join, you get to play with 15 fellow Cubs fans in a very active and friendly league. Not a bad deal. Draft is this saturday.

[ ]

In reply to by Transmission

The missing owner is me. I can vouch it's a fun league with cool people involved and now it's even cooler with me out of it. It's heavy on stats and I'm not a huge stat guy but it's easy to follow and alot of luck plays into it. Overall a thumbs up from me, I can't play due to heavier work load. Enjoy.

[ ]

In reply to by jacos

Actually, you're not the missing owner - your loss DROPPED us to 16, and we were fine, before this second loss.

So anyway, you get the "All Clear" and a "thanks" for the endorsement.

[ ]

In reply to by Transmission

I think you would ban me from the league after you found out I'm watching "Twilight" with my wife right now.

[ ]

In reply to by jacos

I think Rob should ban you from TCR in general for admitting that. At least you have your priorities straight..cruising TCR while watching, shows your true allegiance.

[ ]

In reply to by CPH2133

that's alright, the Angel Fan Wife wants to watch it this weekend. She lets me chat online with anonymous baseball fans, I watch sappy movies with her. It's all about the give and take.

[ ]

In reply to by Rob G.

My question: Is she an LA of A Angels fan? Or is she actually an Angel that happens to be your wife? It appears to be the latter "yes honey, you can go live in your fantasy world with your anonymous friends"...pure gold... Joking aside, thanks Rob and the whole crew who make this site possible, TCR is what gets me through boring days at school.

[ ]

In reply to by CPH2133

well I like to think of her as an angel, but she does root for the Anaheim Angels. She doesn't recognize the LA Angels of A name.

She's a big fan of Scioscia and Pedro aka Vlad.

[ ]

In reply to by Rob G.

I watched that in the theater with my girlfriend. We both laughed the entire time. It is a terrible, terrible movie. The acting is atrocious, the dialogue is dumb, the whole thing feels like it takes place in like 3 days when in reality it was like 4 months. She liked the books, but we both agreed the movie was total crap.

[ ]

In reply to by WISCGRAD

my wife devoured the books in like 2 weeks and is a big fan. She's also a huge Harry Potter fan but thinks the movies are just okay, so I doubt she'll be too enthralled by the film, but it's her duty to watch it I think.

[ ]

In reply to by Rob G.

I don't mind the popularity of the whole Twilight series. I no longer have to tell people how to pronounce my name (Cullen), people just say 'oh, like the guy from Twilight'...yes, like the guy from twilight...i never thought it was a hard name to understand, but I guess people are dumb...But the down side is when i tell people my name they often responsed "oh, whats your first name"... My girlfriend ate the books up too. She refused to give into the trend, then borrowed the first one and has since read them all twice, seen the movie, and purchased it on DVD once it came out. Never tricked me into watching it though.

[ ]

In reply to by Rob G.

I'm also a huge Harry Potter fan (I love the deeper themes of love, friendship and moving forward in the face of unknowing, a/k/a faith). I somehow doubt that I'll ever have any interest in reading the Twilight books and so far, none of the females in my life seem like a candidate to be sucked in by the movie. However, if the right woman asked, I'd watch it with her and try not to snicker excessively. Especially if I thought it would put her in the mood... ("...a guy'll [watch] anything if he thinks it's foreplay." -- Annie Savoy, Bull Durham) See, made it topical.

Wow, made the front page. Thanks, guys.

• Sonicwind75 10/04/2023 - 10:38 am (view)

Outside the box idea for 3b, Anthony Rendon.  Angels eat some of the contract but even then the prospect cost would be light.  Getting healthy and getting the hell out of the Angels organization could be a good change of scenery, bounce back candidate.

• Charlie 10/04/2023 - 10:51 am (view)

A Bryan Reynolds CF and Christopher Morel LF outfield defense would be laughable in that Pittsburgh ballpark, though.

• Childersb3 10/03/2023 - 10:46 pm (view)

I understand this is a cost saving and control idea. But I wouldn't be happy giving up ONKC or Alcantara for Hayes and/or Bednar.

I'm not saying they aren't good players. They are. They've never been "tested" with playing for a good team, but that isn't their fault. They produce good results. But not Jaguar and Big Red.

Canario won't get to play for the Cubs, just like Velazquez, so he should probably go. Same for Mervis and Vazquez. Wesneski can get better but Bednar would certainly help us.

But not to big power hitting OFs that are 21 yrs old and younger at AA already. I'm still holding out hope for the ONKC-PCA-Jag left to right OF. I'm just not giving up on that.

Hayes for Morel kind of stings. I'd love for Morel to get a full year at 3B. Even if he failed there miserably, I'd like to give him a shot.

Phil always comes up with common sense angles. This trade idea fills needs for sure and fills them with cost saving effective players.

I'm thinking Morel goes to NYM for Alonso.

We'll see what Jed cooks up.

• Arizona Phil 10/03/2023 - 10:18 pm (view)

It used to be that teams did not want to trade within their own division for PR reasons, but I don't see that with Ben Cherington in Pittsburgh or with Hoyer / Hawkins in Chicago, so the Cubs might target Pirates 3B Ke'Bryan Hayes and closer David Bednar.

Hayes is a Gold Glove defender, a decent enough hitter (105 OPS+ in 2023), and he's under control at a VERY reasonable price ($8.75M AAV) through 2029 (with a club option for 2030).

Bednar is first-time salary arbitration-eligible post-2023 and under control through 2026.

One thing about the Cubs is that they can afford to overpay (which is what they would have to do to get both Hayes and Bednar) with a package consisting of a decent young MLB position player to replace Hayes in the lineup (like Christopher Morel, who could play LF in Pittsburgh) and prospects like outfielders Alexander Canario, Owen Caissie, or Kevin Alcantara (Pirates pick one, leaving the other two for the Cubs), a power-hitting 1B-DH like Matt Mervis or Haydn McGeary (Pirates pick one, leaving the other one for the Cubs), SS Luis Vazquez (who is MLB-ready but will never play SS in Chicago), 3B B. J. Murray (who could replace Hayes at the hot corner in Pittsburgh by 2025 if not sometime in 2024, and he obviously would be blocked in Chicago if the Cubs get Hayes), and an MLB-ready SP like Hayden Wesneski.

• crunch 10/03/2023 - 10:02 pm (view)

boog and glanville calling the PHI@MIL game on ESPN2.

• crunch 10/03/2023 - 10:59 pm (view)

bellinger is my #1 want, but i fear he's the #1 want of many teams and will get crazy money + years, with the years being the big sting.  they need to replace bellinger's production if they don't get him no matter what position(s) played.

• George Altman 10/03/2023 - 10:40 pm (view)

I hope their top priorities are Bellinger, 2 RPs better than Fulmer/Boxberger (ideally 1 LH), and a 3B (Chapman my 1st Choice). That will put them right up to $237-257M AAV limit, but I don't see a playoff berth doing anything less.

If they really want Alonso, Morel would be a good opening piece of that offer.

Unfortunately, Stroman will opt in ($23.7M) and Smyly ($11.5M) will be back. Steele, Taillon, Assad, Wicks will be rotation pieces. Would love a SP2 FA but don't see how they keep an effective offense and improve their bullpen while adding that.

• crunch 10/03/2023 - 10:03 pm (view)

i cannot imagine getting a legit 3rd, whether signing or via trade, isn't the highest priority for the team.  it's almost obvious they don't see morel there.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 10/03/2023 - 10:19 pm (view)

I’m just hoping they have an actual 3B next year so we don’t need to worry about the M boys, Bote, and P Whiffy eating all the 3B at bats next year.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 10/03/2023 - 10:13 pm (view)

Willson was a OF/3B when we signed him too.

On a less successful but still got to the show note, PJ Higgins was another college IF converted to C