Brandon May reached base four times, scored four runs, and drove-in two more, Jonathan Mota knocked-in three runs, and Charles Thomas had three hits, leading the EXST Cubs to a 15-7 drubbing of the EXST Giants at Fitch Park Field #3 this morning in Mesa.
Today was Cactus League Extended Spring Training (EXST) Opening Day in the Valley of the Sun, as the EXST Cubs played the first of 38 games they will be playing over the next eight weeks.
The Cubs Extended Spring Training squad consists of 50 players (40 active players plus ten more on injury rehab assignments). The Cubs EXST squad is managed by Boise manager Jody Davis, with AZL Cubs manager Juan Cabreja assisting Jo-DEE. Jeff Fassero and Rick Tronerud are the pitching coaches, and Ricardo Medina and Desi Wilson are the hitting coaches.
In addition to the hitting heroics by May, Mota, and Thomas, 20-year old Dominican RHP Luis Liria used his plus change-up to strike out six Giant hitters in three innings of work in relief, and side-armin’ LHP James Leverton struck out all four men he faced. RHP David Patton (who was up with the Cubs for much of last season) threw one inning, striking out the last two men he faced (both looking). Both Leverton and Patton were assigned to Extended Spring Training after they fell behind other pitchers in Minor League Camp, but both now look about ready to get their Letter of Transit out of Arizona.
Jonathan Mota is at Extended Spring Training learning the art of catching, something he just started doing at Minor League Camp last month. He will get assigned to a full-season squad once he gets more experience behind the plate. (Mota is eligible to be a Rule 55 Minor League FA post-2010).
Also, 21-year old outfielder Albert Hernandez (295/397/440 for DSL Cubs #1 in 2009) has arrived at Fitch Park from the Dominican Academy and was in the lineup today. (He did not report to Minor League Camp last month with the other DSL players who are making their U. S. debut in 2010).
Here is today’s abridged box score (EXST Cubs players only):
1. Francisco Guzman, CF: 2-5 (6-3, 3-1, 1B, 1B, 3-U, 2 R, 2 RBI)
2. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 2-5 (K, 1B, E-5, 3B, 6-3, 2 R, RBI)
3. Bobby Wagner, 1B: 1-4 (4-3, 2B, F-8 SF, 3-U, 5-3, R, RBI)
4. Brandon May, 3B: 2-3 (BB, 1B, 1B, 4-3, BB, 4 R, 2 RBI)
5. Charles Thomas, DH #1: 3-5 (F-8, 1B+E9, 1B, 6-3, 1B, R, RBI)
6a. Jonathan Mota, C-2B: 2-4 (K, E-6, 2B, 2B, 3 RBI)
6b. Wes Darvill, PH-2B: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
7. Albert Hernandez, RF: 1-5 (2B, 1-3, 6-3, K, F-9, R, RBI)
8a. D. J. Fitzgerald, DH #2: 2-3 (2B, K, BB, 2B, 2 R, RBI)
8b. Jae-Hoon Ha, C: 0-1 (6-3)
9a. Cody Shields, LF: 0-3 (E-1, K, K, R)
9b. Runey Davis, LF: 0-1 (1-3, HBP)
10a. Rafael Disla, 2B-DH: 2-4 (2B, 4-3, 1B, 3-U, R, 2 RBI, SB)
10b. Carlos Romero, PH: 0-1 (K)
1. John Mincone – 2.2 IP, 4 H, 5 R (5 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 BALK, 5/2 GO/FO, 47 pitches (30 strikes)
2. David Patton – 1.0 IP, 1 H 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 13 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Luis Liria – 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 6 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 56 pitches (40 strikes)
4. James Leverton – 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 21 pitches (13 strikes)
5. Rogelio Carmona - 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 10 pitches (6 strikes)
SS Arismendy Alcantara E-6 (two-base throwing error resulted in unearned run scoring)
Jonathan Mota: 0-2 CS
Jae-Hoon Ha: 0-2 CS, 1 PB
Francisco Guzman: Doubled runner off 1st base 8-6-3
ATTENDANCE: 4 (includes Giants bus driver)
WEATHER: Warm & VERY breezy