2010 Winter Meetings Day Three
10:30 PM CST (Rob G.): A previous Levine post said Cubs are interested in acquiring Jason Frasor after missing out on him last season. Medical reports on Brandon Webb are in the Cubs doctors hands and Chris Davis for Robinson Chirinos is still on the table, but the Cubs want Darren O'Day included in a deal.
10:17 PM CST (Rob G.): Levine says the Rays and Cubs met for a second time since the meetings began, presumably to discuss Garza and that the Cubs "package" was the most attractive. (7th grade chuckle). Brewers and Rangers are also in the mix.
5:18 PM CST (Rob G.): Joel Sherman says the Rays are thus far unsinspired by offers for Garza and will likely wait until July to see if value goes up.
1:56 PM CST (Rob G.): Well at least the Cubs called to ask about Zack Greinke.
1:44 PM CST (Rob G.): There were some multi-year offers out there for Pena with Nats, Orioles, Mariners, Blue Jays and Braves showing interest. (O's seem to be at least one team that made a multi-year offer and the biggest competition according to Pena).
12:46 PM CST (Rob G.): There it is, $5M to Pena is deferred until January 2012.
12:26 PM CST (Rob G.): Pena press conference updates culled from Twitter.
- Grew up watching the Cubs, cites watching George Bell (~shrug~).
- "To play for the Cubs was my preference...I love the city, my family loves the city, and we have a good chance at winning."
- Boras cited Rudy as one of the reasons they liked the Cubs and confidence that he can help him improve on last season.
- Rumor that Yankees could be going after Mark Prior along with rumors that they'll try and bring back Kerry Wood once the Cliff Lee sweepstakes are over. Yes, Rothschild, Prior and Wood back together again is a looming possibility.
- Trib story says Cubs targets were Pena and Berkman and talk about LaRoche and Loney were overstated. Nats, Blue Jays, Mariners and Orioles made offers or were at least interested. No mention of deferred money from them, although Levine has already put it out there. Also says they're working on trades and still talking to Brandon Webb.
12:20 PM CST (Rob G.): Bruce Levine chat excerpts:
- Says Cubs like Garza and have young talent Rays are seeking, although Archer and B. Jackson seem safe from being moved.
- Chris Davis is still in the mix even with the Pena signing.
- Mentions deferred money in Pena deal again, but no specifics.
- Cubs still high on Vitters (as they should be).
To the rumor cave...
- With Pena about to be signed, look for the Cubs to intensify trying to move Fukudome and giving Colvin the everyday job.
- Same report from Levine suggests the Cubs are making a push for Matt Garza. (Claps hands like a cymbal playing monkey). Here's a more proper link to the story.
crunch 10 hours 10 min ago (view)
cubs in 11!
7-2 record to start the year.
the "socially distanced high-5s" in the middle of the infield is good stuff.
crunch 10 hours 47 min ago (view)
been a while since i've seen a solid home plate collision...couldn't be avoided.
crunch 11 hours 2 min ago (view)
game on...stupid rain delay...
Charlie 11 hours 51 min ago (view)
Any other readers in southern Il.--are you blacked out of Cubs games? My dad is always blacked out as of this year even though MLB tv lists his zip as blacked out for Cards only.
Sonicwind75 12 hours 24 min ago (view)
When then is ever over, gonna have to have some of them Magic City wings, they must be something!
Cubster 12 hours 39 min ago (view)
For all the heat Lester took to this point, he's really "pitched" excellent in both starts. In fact, the entire starting staff has been really good. Bullpen not so much although I've liked Jeffress.
crunch 12 hours 51 min ago (view)
cepedes is "opting out" of 2020, but didn't let the team properly know. glad they found him.
Eric S 13 hours 3 min ago (view)
60 game schedules are a perfect fit for Lester. Hell, if we know 2021 will also go 60, Cubs could do a lot worse than re-signing Big Jon
crunch 13 hours 3 min ago (view)
we're 10-ish games in and the future is looking dim for finishing the season, much less forming a 16-team post-season.
at this point it seems making it to playoffs with enough people to fill a roster is a wiser move than actually winning games.
Eric S 13 hours 6 min ago (view)
Magic City wings could be in play here.
Eric S 13 hours 10 min ago (view)
Well done, Dr Cubster
Cubster 13 hours 11 min ago (view)
more on Cardinals...
Jeff Passan says: The latest round of coronavirus tests from the St. Louis Cardinals are, in the words of someone with the team, "not good." There are expected to be multiple new positives, sources tell ESPN. Cardinals took more tests this morning, and results of those should arrive by tonight.
Robt Murray: The St. Louis Cardinals have multiple new positive tests, according to sources with direct knowledge.
crunch 13 hours 23 min ago (view)
...and no one seems to know where y.cespedes (NYM) is...didn't show up for the game today and isn't answering calls. they're on the road @ATL.
Cubster 13 hours 27 min ago (view)
Telecast with Len/JD saying that several more Cardinals tested positive this am. Can't find it on twitter or net yet.
Another Pirate pitcher removed with injury.
KB in Covid protocol even though he had a negative rapid test today.
This is stressful.
crunch 13 hours 40 min ago (view)
contreras breaks up the no-hitter with a double in the 5th.
lester needs to throw a complete game today.
Cubster 16 hours 50 min ago (view)
Norwood to Chicago, IL (formerly DL). Shoulder inflammation.