2010 Winter Meetings Day Three
10:30 PM CST (Rob G.): A previous Levine post said Cubs are interested in acquiring Jason Frasor after missing out on him last season. Medical reports on Brandon Webb are in the Cubs doctors hands and Chris Davis for Robinson Chirinos is still on the table, but the Cubs want Darren O'Day included in a deal.
10:17 PM CST (Rob G.): Levine says the Rays and Cubs met for a second time since the meetings began, presumably to discuss Garza and that the Cubs "package" was the most attractive. (7th grade chuckle). Brewers and Rangers are also in the mix.
5:18 PM CST (Rob G.): Joel Sherman says the Rays are thus far unsinspired by offers for Garza and will likely wait until July to see if value goes up.
1:56 PM CST (Rob G.): Well at least the Cubs called to ask about Zack Greinke.
1:44 PM CST (Rob G.): There were some multi-year offers out there for Pena with Nats, Orioles, Mariners, Blue Jays and Braves showing interest. (O's seem to be at least one team that made a multi-year offer and the biggest competition according to Pena).
12:46 PM CST (Rob G.): There it is, $5M to Pena is deferred until January 2012.
12:26 PM CST (Rob G.): Pena press conference updates culled from Twitter.
- Grew up watching the Cubs, cites watching George Bell (~shrug~).
- "To play for the Cubs was my preference...I love the city, my family loves the city, and we have a good chance at winning."
- Boras cited Rudy as one of the reasons they liked the Cubs and confidence that he can help him improve on last season.
- Rumor that Yankees could be going after Mark Prior along with rumors that they'll try and bring back Kerry Wood once the Cliff Lee sweepstakes are over. Yes, Rothschild, Prior and Wood back together again is a looming possibility.
- Trib story says Cubs targets were Pena and Berkman and talk about LaRoche and Loney were overstated. Nats, Blue Jays, Mariners and Orioles made offers or were at least interested. No mention of deferred money from them, although Levine has already put it out there. Also says they're working on trades and still talking to Brandon Webb.
12:20 PM CST (Rob G.): Bruce Levine chat excerpts:
- Says Cubs like Garza and have young talent Rays are seeking, although Archer and B. Jackson seem safe from being moved.
- Chris Davis is still in the mix even with the Pena signing.
- Mentions deferred money in Pena deal again, but no specifics.
- Cubs still high on Vitters (as they should be).
To the rumor cave...
- With Pena about to be signed, look for the Cubs to intensify trying to move Fukudome and giving Colvin the everyday job.
- Same report from Levine suggests the Cubs are making a push for Matt Garza. (Claps hands like a cymbal playing monkey). Here's a more proper link to the story.
Jackstraw 34 min 36 sec ago (view)
Scrubs? I prefer Witness Protection Plan All Stars. Though it doesn't really roll off the tongue.
Craig A. 10 hours 32 min ago (view)
Cubs scrubs win!
bradsbeard 11 hours 52 min ago (view)
Pretty solid outing after all. He's been really good since returning to the rotation.
crunch 13 hours 25 min ago (view)
missed lester's 1st start as a cardinal yesterday...
5ip 9h 2bb 4k, 6r/er
crunch 13 hours 49 min ago (view)
alec mills in colorado sucks.
cubbies.4ever 13 hours 51 min ago (view)
AZ PHIL - are any of these INTFA, other than the obvious Christian Hernandez, show an immeadiate signs of being a good prospect? Given a lot of these are really raw young kids. You saw the talent in Eloy, Torres, Amaya, Soler, Alzolay, Marquez, etc, but there have also been the can't miss busts, Eddy Julio Martinez, Ademan, Tseng, Moreno, Sierra, etc or are a lot of these just a lot of bodies who are wild cards?
crunch 13 hours 53 min ago (view)
delay of game...home plate ump seems to have tweaked his back or something...neet.
a pointless delay of a pointless game.
Hagsag 17 hours 36 min ago (view)
Sonicwind75 18 hours 18 min ago (view)
Off all the awards and accolades Rizzo earned during his time in Chicago; perhaps the most important is being named the Roberto Clemente Award winner in 2017.
crunch 18 hours 32 min ago (view)
technically correct is the best kind of correct.
also, rizzo's charity work (himself and the time he gives, not just his money) is top notch stuff.
tim815 21 hours 36 min ago (view)
Anything to be noted about Temblador, Venezuela's Pedro Ramirez, who is shredding as the pipelines youngest player?
bradsbeard 23 hours 15 min ago (view)
Arizona Phil, some folks (mostly me!) were wondering if you had any thoughts/info on Luis Devers, who seems to be having a nice ACL season despite being a bit old for the level. Got touched for a HR last night but hadn't given up multiple runs in a start before then and has struck out a healthy number of batters while limiting walks. Many thanks in advance!
Hagsag 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
Rizzo wasn't a cancer, he HAD cancer!
Arizona Phil 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have released AAA Iowa C-INF Tony Wolters so that he can sign a minor league deal with a contending club (if the opportunity presents itself).
Because he was outrighted earlier this season he was not eligible to be traded after 7/30, even though he was on a minor league reserve list and (generally speaking) a player on a minor league reserve list can be traded up until one week prior to the scheduled conclusion of the MLB regular season.
Arizona Phil 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
So #11 (Ziehl), #12 (Banks), and #19 (Avitia) were the only three 2021 Cubs draft picks who did not sign.
crunch 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
similar story, similar quotes, different site/author