2010 Winter Meetings Day Three
10:30 PM CST (Rob G.): A previous Levine post said Cubs are interested in acquiring Jason Frasor after missing out on him last season. Medical reports on Brandon Webb are in the Cubs doctors hands and Chris Davis for Robinson Chirinos is still on the table, but the Cubs want Darren O'Day included in a deal.
10:17 PM CST (Rob G.): Levine says the Rays and Cubs met for a second time since the meetings began, presumably to discuss Garza and that the Cubs "package" was the most attractive. (7th grade chuckle). Brewers and Rangers are also in the mix.
5:18 PM CST (Rob G.): Joel Sherman says the Rays are thus far unsinspired by offers for Garza and will likely wait until July to see if value goes up.
1:56 PM CST (Rob G.): Well at least the Cubs called to ask about Zack Greinke.
1:44 PM CST (Rob G.): There were some multi-year offers out there for Pena with Nats, Orioles, Mariners, Blue Jays and Braves showing interest. (O's seem to be at least one team that made a multi-year offer and the biggest competition according to Pena).
12:46 PM CST (Rob G.): There it is, $5M to Pena is deferred until January 2012.
12:26 PM CST (Rob G.): Pena press conference updates culled from Twitter.
- Grew up watching the Cubs, cites watching George Bell (~shrug~).
- "To play for the Cubs was my preference...I love the city, my family loves the city, and we have a good chance at winning."
- Boras cited Rudy as one of the reasons they liked the Cubs and confidence that he can help him improve on last season.
- Rumor that Yankees could be going after Mark Prior along with rumors that they'll try and bring back Kerry Wood once the Cliff Lee sweepstakes are over. Yes, Rothschild, Prior and Wood back together again is a looming possibility.
- Trib story says Cubs targets were Pena and Berkman and talk about LaRoche and Loney were overstated. Nats, Blue Jays, Mariners and Orioles made offers or were at least interested. No mention of deferred money from them, although Levine has already put it out there. Also says they're working on trades and still talking to Brandon Webb.
12:20 PM CST (Rob G.): Bruce Levine chat excerpts:
- Says Cubs like Garza and have young talent Rays are seeking, although Archer and B. Jackson seem safe from being moved.
- Chris Davis is still in the mix even with the Pena signing.
- Mentions deferred money in Pena deal again, but no specifics.
- Cubs still high on Vitters (as they should be).
To the rumor cave...
- With Pena about to be signed, look for the Cubs to intensify trying to move Fukudome and giving Colvin the everyday job.
- Same report from Levine suggests the Cubs are making a push for Matt Garza. (Claps hands like a cymbal playing monkey). Here's a more proper link to the story.
crunch 1 hour 53 min ago (view)
yeah, he's def setting himself in a bad place to get something wild and inside.
i'm glad everyone is getting hit and we're not seeing a slew of suspensions for fighting or DL trips.
bradsbeard 2 hours 6 min ago (view)
I think he actually is really close to the plate, it just might be a little harder to see in the RH box, but his elbow hangs out over the batter's box chalk, so anything up and in is going to be close or hit him.
crunch 2 hours 29 min ago (view)
i wasn't impressed with the pitching going into 2021, and this epic bat drought isn't helping.
i was expecting to get to the playoffs or really damn close. i kinda still am. it's not like i'd be shocked if we're trading away guys in a few months for "the future" at this point, though.
Dolorous Jon Lester 2 hours 39 min ago (view)
Spring training stud Joc Pederson!
Anyone else get the sense we've seen .500 for the last time in 2021?
crunch 2 hours 59 min ago (view)
5 singles, 1 solo homer, and 12 Ks later...sigh
at least they managed to get 6bb (3 in the 9th to load the bases for j.pederson to K vs a lefty closer) and 4 HBP (wtf).
Dolorous Jon Lester 4 hours 28 min ago (view)
Fully agree with the lack of flexibility hindering bullpen construction. the only worry I have is even though most of our top 12 RPs are free agents after the year, Wieck and Steele (potentially Holder too) will join Brothers, Maples, and Mills as RP without options. Provided they're all tendered contracts, of course, that's already six spots taken. I do hope we start to see more guys we can move to and from Iowa easily over the coming seasons.
Dolorous Jon Lester 4 hours 35 min ago (view)
Same, gotta try to find positives in the situation.
Sonicwind75 5 hours 28 min ago (view)
How often in a weeks time are there multiple games with a team getting HBP more than hits. Cubs today and the Carlos Rodon no hitter this week.
crunch 5 hours 48 min ago (view)
the zach davies era isn't going so well through 3 games...
also, cubs getting HBP...so hot right now. contreras, 2x baez, and welcome back matt duffy.
Sonicwind75 6 hours 43 sec ago (view)
@DLJ: Feel a little guilty myself streaming pitchers who are facing Cubs but at least there is something positive to come from watching the game. Grabbed Ynoa tomorrow in a couple of leagues.
crunch 7 hours 10 min ago (view)
contreras HBP thing getting kinda weird...just picked up 5th on the season. it's not like he's leaning into them or sets up like rizzo making him prone to them. almost all, if not all, don't seem to be on purpose.
he got a lot of this last year, too. it's tough enough being a catcher.
crunch 8 hours 51 min ago (view)
freddie freeman could be pitching and the cubs would only manage a solo homer and a few singles while K'ing 10+ times.
Dolorous Jon Lester 10 hours 26 min ago (view)
Smyly placed on IL, Kyle Wright to start. Don't know if that benefits the Cubs (would prob benefit most teams), but it surely hurts my fantasy team as I was looking forward to the K total and low WHIP Smyly was sure to get today.
crunch 10 hours 35 min ago (view)
m.duffy activated, i.vargas to alternate site.
crunch 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
r.tepera suspended 3 games for throwing at b.woodruff (appealing). d.ross gets 1 game and will miss friday's game.