2010 Winter Meetings Day Three
10:30 PM CST (Rob G.): A previous Levine post said Cubs are interested in acquiring Jason Frasor after missing out on him last season. Medical reports on Brandon Webb are in the Cubs doctors hands and Chris Davis for Robinson Chirinos is still on the table, but the Cubs want Darren O'Day included in a deal.
10:17 PM CST (Rob G.): Levine says the Rays and Cubs met for a second time since the meetings began, presumably to discuss Garza and that the Cubs "package" was the most attractive. (7th grade chuckle). Brewers and Rangers are also in the mix.
5:18 PM CST (Rob G.): Joel Sherman says the Rays are thus far unsinspired by offers for Garza and will likely wait until July to see if value goes up.
1:56 PM CST (Rob G.): Well at least the Cubs called to ask about Zack Greinke.
1:44 PM CST (Rob G.): There were some multi-year offers out there for Pena with Nats, Orioles, Mariners, Blue Jays and Braves showing interest. (O's seem to be at least one team that made a multi-year offer and the biggest competition according to Pena).
12:46 PM CST (Rob G.): There it is, $5M to Pena is deferred until January 2012.
12:26 PM CST (Rob G.): Pena press conference updates culled from Twitter.
- Grew up watching the Cubs, cites watching George Bell (~shrug~).
- "To play for the Cubs was my preference...I love the city, my family loves the city, and we have a good chance at winning."
- Boras cited Rudy as one of the reasons they liked the Cubs and confidence that he can help him improve on last season.
- Rumor that Yankees could be going after Mark Prior along with rumors that they'll try and bring back Kerry Wood once the Cliff Lee sweepstakes are over. Yes, Rothschild, Prior and Wood back together again is a looming possibility.
- Trib story says Cubs targets were Pena and Berkman and talk about LaRoche and Loney were overstated. Nats, Blue Jays, Mariners and Orioles made offers or were at least interested. No mention of deferred money from them, although Levine has already put it out there. Also says they're working on trades and still talking to Brandon Webb.
12:20 PM CST (Rob G.): Bruce Levine chat excerpts:
- Says Cubs like Garza and have young talent Rays are seeking, although Archer and B. Jackson seem safe from being moved.
- Chris Davis is still in the mix even with the Pena signing.
- Mentions deferred money in Pena deal again, but no specifics.
- Cubs still high on Vitters (as they should be).
To the rumor cave...
- With Pena about to be signed, look for the Cubs to intensify trying to move Fukudome and giving Colvin the everyday job.
- Same report from Levine suggests the Cubs are making a push for Matt Garza. (Claps hands like a cymbal playing monkey). Here's a more proper link to the story.
crunch 21 min 55 sec ago (view)
off-day tomorrow. ATL gets to come into town next to strike out 20 cubs and give up 2-4 hits.
we're trying to get at least 2 guys hitting .250 or move over here in cubs nation. i'm pretty sure this is still chili davis's fault.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 hour 23 min ago (view)
Arizona vintage Shelby today
crunch 1 hour 25 min ago (view)
shelby miller is dildos.
Arizona Phil 2 hours 22 min ago (view)
Shelby Miller's minor league contract opt out was probably 4/15.
Sonicwind75 3 hours 11 min ago (view)
Good and/or depressing article about Javy over on Fangraphs.
Dolorous Jon Lester 3 hours 29 min ago (view)
Shelby Miller selected, Alzolay optioned. Adam returns, Wieck optioned. Romine returns, Wolters DFA
crunch 18 hours 59 min ago (view)
wow, a cubs moment to root for. that's been a while.
crunch 19 hours 4 min ago (view)
pedro strop returns!
slider looks great, but (as designed) he rarely throws it in the zone...fishing for swings/misses and bad contact. he's got great command of it nibbling low and both sides of the plate.
fastball coming in 92-94mph without much movement. you could tell in the arias AB how much he didn't want to throw him a fastball (continuing to throw the slider on a 3-1 for a foul, and walking him with a slider on the next pitch).
1ip 1h 1bb 1k, 0 r/er
crunch 21 hours 24 min ago (view)
...and matt duffy placed on the covid list (no positive, possible contact)
crunch 21 hours 36 min ago (view)
hendricks scratched because he's "not feeling well."
a.mills steps in.
Charlie 22 hours 29 min ago (view)
Back door firing all the players through COVID protocols? Better clear some shelf space for that manager of the year trophy.
crunch 22 hours 29 min ago (view)
Patrick Mooney @PJ_Mooney
Cubs manager David Ross says none of the team’s players on the COVID-19-related injured list have tested positive: “We’re going to err on the side of caution.”
crunch 22 hours 29 min ago (view)
-deleted, wrong thread-
crunch 23 hours 58 min ago (view)
they could motivate the team with a full sized cutout of a nude tom ricketts they reveal a little bit at a time when they win.
First.Pitch.120 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
Maybe if we threaten to move the team to Miami if they lose enough games it will be the motivation that they need to pull togethert for an improbable run to the playoffs.
crunch 1 day 2 hours ago (view)