LHP (ex-OF) Kyler Burke threw three innings of no run/no hit ball with five strikeouts and Jeimer Candelario and Dan Vogelbach cracked back-to-back RBI singles in the top of the 8th to tie the game at 3-3, but the Mariners pushed across a run in the bottom of the 8th to take back the lead and added three more in a tack-on 9th to defeat the Cubs 7-3 in AZ Instructional League action this afternoon at Mariners Field #2 at the Peoria Sports Complex in Peoria, AZ.
The game was extended an extra half-inning so that Cubs LHRP Andrew McKirahan could get his pre-scheduled one inning of work, but he probably wishes the team had just gone home after the top of the 9th with a 4-3 loss because he surrendered two long home runs (one to Phillips Castillo and the other to Jaban Blash) in the bottom of the 9th,
In addition to his game-tying RBI single, Dan Vogelbach walked three more times today, giving him seven walks in his last 12 Plate Appearances (over three games). So far at Instructs, Vogelbach is hitting just .241, but with a 406 OBP.
And with a triple and a single today, 17-year old switch-hitting 3B Jeimer Candelario is now hitting a robust 333/379/518.
While the Cubs were playing the Matiners in an AZ Instructional League game on Mariners Field #2, Goodyear (Reds/Indians) was playing Peoria (Padres/Mariners) in an AZ Parallel League (APL) game on Mariners Field #1.
The APL (AKA "Advanced Instructional League") is designed for players too advanced for traditional Instructs, but not advanced enough for the Arizona Fall League (AFL). At present only the MLB clubs that have their minor league HQ based in a shared facility in western Maricopa County (CIN & CLE in Goodyear, CHW & LAD in Glendale, SEA & SD in Peoria, and TEX & KC in Surprise) are fielding teams in the APL.
It would be more complicated for MLB clubs based in eastern Maricopa County to field an APL team, because five of the seven east-side teams (LAA, MIL, OAK, SF, and the CUBS) do not share a facility with another MLB organization.
Here is the abridged box score from today's Cubs-Mariners AZ Instructional League game (Cubs players only):
1. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-2 (K, 1B, BB, BB, R, RBI)
2a. Yaniel Cabezas, C-DH: 0-3 (F-8, 4-3, 6-3 DP)
2b. Justin Marra, PH: 0-0 (BB, R)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 2-4 (3B, 4-3, 6-3, 1B, RBI)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-1 (BB, BB, BB, 1B, RBI)
5. Neftali Rosario, DH-C: 0-4 (P-4, K, 6-3 DP, 5-U FC)
6a. Shawon Dunston, Jr, LF: 0-3 (K, F-8, K)
6b. Trey Martin, LF: 0-1 (E-5)
7. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-4 (P-6, F-8, K, F-7)
8. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-3 (L-4, BB, E-5, 6-3, R)
9. Mark Malave, DH #2: 1-4 (3-U, 1B, F-8, K)
10. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-3 (K, BB, 2-3, K)
1. Kyler Burke: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 39 pitches (25 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. David Henrie: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 33 pitches (19 strikes), 1/4 GO/FO
3. Ian Dickson: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 23 pitches (16 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
4. Jose Rosario: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 31 pitches (14 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
5. Andrew McKirahan: 0.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2 HR, 1 PO, 22 pitches (13 strikes)
NOTE: Add-on bottom of the 9th was stopped with two outs when McKirahan reached his pre-planned pitch limit
1. Yaniel Cabezas: 0-2 CS
2. Neftali Rosario: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Partly cloudy and VERY breezy with temperatures in the 70’s