Cubs Bunting Tourney Update and Other Notes
- Let's see if I kept track here correctly in the bunting tourney. First round winners to date include:
Position Player's Bracket
- (16) Szczur over (1) Lake
- (9) Cardenas over (8) Vitters
- (12) J. Mota over (5) Brenly
- (4) Lalli over (13) Adduci
- (11) B. Jackson over (6) Ha
- (3) W. Castillo over (14) Sappelt
- (7) Clevenger over (10) Campana
- (2) LaHair over (15) Rizzo
- (1) Mather over (16) E. Gonzalez
- (9) Barney over (8) Scales
- (5) Castro over (12) J. Jaramillo
- (4) Stewart over (13) Tolbert
- (11) Soto over (6) DeWitt
- (3) Baker over (14) Amezaga
- (7) Byrd over (10) Johnson
- (2) DeJesus over (15) Soriano
- (1) J. Beliveau over (16) A. Cabrera
- (8) L. Castillo over (9) C. Weathers
- (12) McNutt over (5) Carrilo
- (13) Dolis over (4) Jay Jackson
- (6) Rhee over (11) Gaub
- (14) Rusin over (3) Bussy
- (10) Maine over (7) Parker
- (2) Coleman over (15) Mateo
- (1) T. Wood over (16) Caridad
- (9) Samardzija over (8) Russell
- (12) Wells over (5) Volstad
- (4) Sonnastine over (13) Corpas
- (11) Marmol over (6) Garza
- (3) Maholm over (14) Lopez (originally postponed due to Maholm being sick)
- (10 Dempster over (7) T. Miller
- (15) Sveum over (2) Kerry Wood
2nd Round Matchups are:
Position Players' Bracket
- (9) Cardenas vs. (16) Szczur
- (4) Lalli vs. (12) Mota
- (3) W. Castillo vs. (11) B. Jackson
- (2) LaHair vs. (7) Clevenger
- (1) Mather vs. (9) Barney
- (4) Stewart vs. (5) Castro
- (3) Baker vs. (11) Soto
- (2) DeJesus vs. (7) Byrd
- (1) Beliveau vs. (8) L. Castillo
- (12) McNutt vs. (13) Dolis
- (6) Rhee vs. (14) Rusin
- (2) Coleman vs. (10) Maine
- (1) T. Wood vs. (9) Samardzija
- (4) Sonnastine vs. (12) Wells
- (11) Marmol vs. Maholm/Lopez winner (Update: Maholm beat Lopez)
- (10) Dempster vs. (15) Sveum
- It appears Jeff Samardzija is a bit of a Kenny Powers fan.
- The Cubs will play some intrasquad games Friday and Saturday, with Cactus League play beginning on Sunday. Rodrigo Lopez gets the starting nod on Sunday. He'll be followed by Ryan Dempster on Monday and Matt Garza on Tuesday.
- Carlos Marmol spent the offseason riding horses and starring in romantic novels or something like that.
bradsbeard 3 days 16 min ago (view)
Great info. Thanks!
Arizona Phil 3 days 16 min ago (view)
BRADSBEARD: What happens on 12/2 is each club submits what's called a "Central Tender Letter" to the MLB LRD listing which unsigned players on the club's MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) are being tendered a contract and which unsigned players are not being tendered a contract.
The CTL is sufficient as far as providing proof of contract tender.
For players being tendered contracts, the CTL must list the club's MLB salary offer, a minor league split salary offer (if the club so chooses), and performance bonuses (if any) the club is offering to the player.
crunch 3 days 8 hours ago (view)
theo walked away from a big payday for an executive in his last season as a cub without having another job scoped out...and according to him he's not even looking one.
something tells me this isn't going to be a fun off-season for cubs fans.
the state of the cubs household aside, i wouldn't exactly be shocked to see theo with the mets, though he's supposedly not on their radar at the moment.
Dolorous Jon Lester 3 days 9 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have been at the forefront of tone-deaf owners in terms of financial hardship during the pandemic. "The game isn't as profitable as most people think"
tim815 4 days 6 hours ago (view)
The decision on the amount comes later.
bradsbeard 4 days 9 hours ago (view)
At the point when the team makes the initial contract tender, do they have to offer a specific salary, and if so is that the same number the team takes into arbitration? Or does the specific number the teams files at for arbitration happen at a later date?
Arizona Phil 4 days 11 hours ago (view)
jdrnym: A player who is signed to a contract that does not include a minor league split salary is paid his full MLB salary while optioned or after being outrighted to a minor league club.
So if a player goes to arbitration and is awarded (let's say) a $2.5M salary by the arb panel, the contract will not include a minor league split salary or performance bonuses, and if the player is sent to the minors he is paid the full $2.5M while in the minors.
Hagsag 4 days 13 hours ago (view)
Maybe Trump can give them a loan.
crunch 4 days 13 hours ago (view)
it's not exactly looking good when the cubs brass is complaining about "losing 100m in revenue" when a huge chunk of that seems to include Hotel Zachary. it looks like the entire "entertainment complex" is the cubs as far as the Ricketts are concerned...and the team might have to suffer a bit because they couldn't fully realize profits last year. they've publically stated that the big incoming tax credits from the city they're going to realize for stadium work won't help the cubs payroll.
jdrnym 4 days 23 hours ago (view)
If a player doesn't have a split salary in his contract, how much is he making when in the minors (or how is that salary determined)?
crunch 5 days 4 hours ago (view)
we want kyle schwarber to not be mark trumbo so badly...
either way, the NL having or not having the DH needs to be figured out pretty quickly for a lot of off-season sanity.
crunch 6 days 8 hours ago (view)
minor league hitting coordinator chris valaika moves up assistant hitting instructor for the big league team.
looks like a.iapoce's job is safe.
Cubster 6 days 11 hours ago (view)
Jed Hoyer gets a new 5 yr contract that runs through 2025 season.
Cubster 6 days 12 hours ago (view)
BA's list of 19 prospects who impressed at Instructs. One Cub:
Chase Strumpf, 2B, Cubs
Jackstraw 1 week 7 hours ago (view)
Waiting for Ryan Pace to be available. He should be a week from tomorrow.
crunch 1 week 7 hours ago (view)
i haven't even heard a rumor...which is interesting since "virtual" winter meetings start in a couple weeks.
surprised dan kantrovitz hasn't been named "interim GM" or something...which makes me wonder how wide of a net they're casting to fill the position. he was snagged from the A's and was an assistant GM there (and director of scouting for STL).