Cubs Bunting Tourney Update and Other Notes
- Let's see if I kept track here correctly in the bunting tourney. First round winners to date include:
Position Player's Bracket
- (16) Szczur over (1) Lake
- (9) Cardenas over (8) Vitters
- (12) J. Mota over (5) Brenly
- (4) Lalli over (13) Adduci
- (11) B. Jackson over (6) Ha
- (3) W. Castillo over (14) Sappelt
- (7) Clevenger over (10) Campana
- (2) LaHair over (15) Rizzo
- (1) Mather over (16) E. Gonzalez
- (9) Barney over (8) Scales
- (5) Castro over (12) J. Jaramillo
- (4) Stewart over (13) Tolbert
- (11) Soto over (6) DeWitt
- (3) Baker over (14) Amezaga
- (7) Byrd over (10) Johnson
- (2) DeJesus over (15) Soriano
- (1) J. Beliveau over (16) A. Cabrera
- (8) L. Castillo over (9) C. Weathers
- (12) McNutt over (5) Carrilo
- (13) Dolis over (4) Jay Jackson
- (6) Rhee over (11) Gaub
- (14) Rusin over (3) Bussy
- (10) Maine over (7) Parker
- (2) Coleman over (15) Mateo
- (1) T. Wood over (16) Caridad
- (9) Samardzija over (8) Russell
- (12) Wells over (5) Volstad
- (4) Sonnastine over (13) Corpas
- (11) Marmol over (6) Garza
- (3) Maholm over (14) Lopez (originally postponed due to Maholm being sick)
- (10 Dempster over (7) T. Miller
- (15) Sveum over (2) Kerry Wood
2nd Round Matchups are:
Position Players' Bracket
- (9) Cardenas vs. (16) Szczur
- (4) Lalli vs. (12) Mota
- (3) W. Castillo vs. (11) B. Jackson
- (2) LaHair vs. (7) Clevenger
- (1) Mather vs. (9) Barney
- (4) Stewart vs. (5) Castro
- (3) Baker vs. (11) Soto
- (2) DeJesus vs. (7) Byrd
- (1) Beliveau vs. (8) L. Castillo
- (12) McNutt vs. (13) Dolis
- (6) Rhee vs. (14) Rusin
- (2) Coleman vs. (10) Maine
- (1) T. Wood vs. (9) Samardzija
- (4) Sonnastine vs. (12) Wells
- (11) Marmol vs. Maholm/Lopez winner (Update: Maholm beat Lopez)
- (10) Dempster vs. (15) Sveum
- It appears Jeff Samardzija is a bit of a Kenny Powers fan.
- The Cubs will play some intrasquad games Friday and Saturday, with Cactus League play beginning on Sunday. Rodrigo Lopez gets the starting nod on Sunday. He'll be followed by Ryan Dempster on Monday and Matt Garza on Tuesday.
- Carlos Marmol spent the offseason riding horses and starring in romantic novels or something like that.
crunch 6 hours 51 min ago (view)
i like the cubs odds on this one.
Arizona Phil 10 hours 46 min ago (view)
Ian Happ arbitration figures are $4.1M (player) and $3.25M (club) with hearing date TBD.
crunch 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
* all figures stated are in a range of +/- 10m
yeah, that was me not typing info correctly. my bad.
Arizona Phil 2 days 42 min ago (view)
Bryant got $19.5M
crunch 2 days 2 hours ago (view)
bryant 9.5m, contreras 6.65m, baez 11.65m, z.davies 8.63m
looks like happ is going to arbitration.
Arizona Phil 3 days 4 min ago (view)
RHP Edward Vasquez (2017 IFA - Dominican Republic) has retired.
E. Vasquez was one of the top SP on DSL Cubs Red in 2019 and was expected to be a SP on one of the Cubs AZL teams in 2020 if the minor league season hadn't been canceled.
He would have been first-time Rule 5 Draft eligible post-2021.
K Dub 3 days 2 hours ago (view)
crunch 3 days 4 hours ago (view)
danny hultzen retires and joins the cubs as a "pitching development assistant"
shame the comeback story didn't last longer...but hey, at least he got to taste the bigs after his body failed him for so many years.
crunch 3 days 7 hours ago (view)
theo joining the commish's front office operation as a "consultant reguarding on field matters"...basically weighing in on the possible impact of rules changes.
Arizona Phil 3 days 10 hours ago (view)
K Dub 3 days 10 hours ago (view)
Yeah, to my calculation that suspension should be over by now unless he got caught again...
Wrigley Rat 3 days 14 hours ago (view)
(Not Phil) - Last I saw, he was on the restricted list.
K Dub 3 days 15 hours ago (view)
PHIL: Did the Cubs release Saul Vazquez?
Sonicwind75 1 week 8 hours ago (view)
The 2021 guaranteed amount is $7 + $3 million mutual option buyout. 10>8. Most media reports summarizes it as a $10 million deal.
CubbyBlue 1 week 9 hours ago (view)
Thanks Eric. After I put it up I thought.. damn I'm old. I wonder if people even remember back that far. I still think about that day. Uggh. Sorry.
Charlie 1 week 9 hours ago (view)
I'm always confused by this. They also could have tendered him and then boosted his value by trading him with a million or two in cash considerations. Obviously, that's a million or two more expensive than simply non-tendering--but couldn't you at least get an interesting prospect in return from one of these teams? They obviosuly thought it was worth their return to toss in a few million in the Darvish trade.