Cubs & D'backs Split Two at Talking Stick
Josh Conway, Erick Leal, and Carlos Martinez combined to throw a three-hitter, retiring the last ten men a row, and David Bote drilled an RBI single to tie the game and Jacob Rogers followed one out later with a sacrifice fly to give the Cubs the lead, as one squad of Cubs rallied for two runs in the 5th and held on to edge one squad of Diamondbacks 2-1 on Whirlwind Field, and Carter Bell blasted a three-run home run to cap a five-run 3rd and Josh Parr singled and tripled and scored two runs, leading the other squad of D'backs to a 7-1 victory over the other squad of Cubs on Jackrabbit Field, as the two squads split a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Former Cubs minor leaguer Michael Brenly (released during Minor League Camp) was the catcher for the Diamondbacks squad on Whirlwind Field, and he went 0-3 (K, F-7, K).
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-3 (4-3, 3-U, 3B)
2. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-3 (F-8, 6-3, K)
3. Jesse Hodges, DH #1: 0-3 (F-9, 5-3, P-3)
4. Jose Dore, 1B: 1-3 (K, 1B, L-8, SB)
5. Trevor Gretzky, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, P-2)
6. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, K)
7a. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-2 (6-3, 6-3)
7b. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-1 (K)
8. Roberto Caro, LF: 1-2 (1-3, 1B, R, SB)
9. Frandy de la Rosa, SS: 1-2 (K, 1B, RBI)
10. Bryant Flete, 2B: 1-2 (1B, K)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jose Rosario: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 5 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 39 pitches (29 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
2. James Pugliese: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 35 pitches (25 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Tyler Bremer: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 24 pitches (15 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 5
1. P Jose Rosario - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
2. P Jose Rosario - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner on 3rd base to score)
3. 3B Mark Malave - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
4. SS Frandy de la Rosa - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
5. C Wilfredo Petit - E-2 (Catcher's Interference allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1 E (see above)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF-DH: 2-4 (3-U, 1B, 1B, K)
2. David Bote, 3B-SS: 2-4 (6-3, 1B, 1B, K, RBI)
3. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-4 (F-9, 6-4-3 DP, P-6, 1B)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B-3B: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, F-7 SF, K, RBI)
5. Reggie Golden, LF-CF: 0-2 (P-6, BB, F-8)
6a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-1 (HBP, F-8)
6b. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-1 (F-7)
7. Lance Rymel, DH-1B: 0-3 (5-3, 5-3, K)
8. Justin Marra, C: 0-2 (F-7, BB, K, R)
9a. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 1-2 (K, 1B, R)
9b. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-1 (1B)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS
1. Josh Conway: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 5 K, 53 pitches (32 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Erick Leal: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 29 pitches (19 strikes), 1/4 GO/FO
3. Carlos Martinez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 11 pitches (7 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "A" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Yasiel Balaguert - doubled-runner off 1st base 9-3 after line-out
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
NOTE: It wasn't a Cactus League game, but there was a 4-1/2 inning intrasquad game played at FITCH PARK FIELD #3 yesterday (Monday) morning.
RHP Dillon Maples threw 3.1 IP of one-hit ball, retiring the last ten men he faced in a row.
Trevor Gretzky fisted a two-run double down the LF line to spark a four-run 3rd for Squad "A."
LHP Andrew McKirahan (2012 TJS) walked off the mound in obvious pain in the bottom of the 3rd inning after facing one batter (seven-pitch walk). He didn't wait for the trainer or manager to come to the mound, he just headed straight for the clubhouse.
Here is the box score from that game:
SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-3 (2B, K, 4-3)
2. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-3 (K, 4-3, K)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-2 (6-3, BB, 1-3, R, SB)
4. Jose Dore, 1B: 0-1 (F-8, BB, BB, R)
5. Garrett Schlecht, DH: 0-2 (F-8, BB, K, R)
6. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 1-3 (6-3, 2B, K, R, 2 RBI)
7. Erick Castillo, C: 1-2 (4-3, 1B)
8. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 0-2 (K, K)
9. Bryant Flete, 2B: 1-2 (1-3, 2B)
SQUAD "A" LINEUP
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-1 (5-3, 1-3 SH)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-2 (F-9, K)
3. Yasiel Balaguert, DH: 0-1 (6-3, BB)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-2 (1B, 6-3, SB)
5. David Bote, 3B: 0-1 (P-2, BB)
6. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-2 (P-2, F-8)
7. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-2 (K, E-5)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-1 (BB, F-8)
9. Lance Rymel, C: 0-1 (BB, 1-3)
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Kyler Burke: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 34 pitches (20 strikes)
2. Andrew McKirahan: 0.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 7 pitches (3 strikes)
3. Dayan Diaz: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 19 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Hunter Ackerman: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Dillon Maples: 3.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 48 pitches (30 strikes), 5/2 GO/FO
2. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 4 R (4 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 41 pitches (24 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
3. Anthony Prieto: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 22 pitches (13 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
NOTE: Top of the 5th inning was continued for one extra out to allow Prieto to throw more pitches, then game was stopped
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
C Lance Rymel - E-2 (errant throw on attempted pick-off at 3rd base allowed runner to score)
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Erick Castillo: 0-1 CS
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Lance Rymel: 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
Cubster 4 hours 42 min ago (view)
WSox Michael Kopech has opted out of 2020. I didn't see a disclosed reason yet but he is recovering from TJ S
crunch 15 hours 17 min ago (view)
buster posey (SF) opting out of 2020...recently adopted twin daughters who were born premature.
Cubster 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
per Tribune: Kimbrel's OK, just working on his changeup (formerly his fastball).
Arizona Phil 2 days 7 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have released RHRP (and their erstwhile closer) Brandon Morrow. There is no indication that they plan to re-sign him to another (different) 2020 minor league contract without the Article XX-B $100K retention bonus provision (as happened with Jason Kipnis last week).
crunch 2 days 10 hours ago (view)
rizzo takes another day off (lower back). ross says the club is "exercising caution."
klye ryan is expected to join the team tomorrow after some mysterious holdup.
Ryno 2 days 11 hours ago (view)
Has anyone seen Darvish's pitch "The Supreme"? Isn't it just a sinker?
Ryno 2 days 11 hours ago (view)
In other words: This lineup sucks.
Arizona Phil 2 days 11 hours ago (view)
Jason Kipnis was released on June 29th and then he was re-signed to a new (different) 2020 minor league contract that does not require a $100K retention bonus if he is not added to the Cubs MLB Reserve List by 2020 MLB Opening Day (7/23).
Brandon Morrow remains on his original 2020 minor league contract which pays him a $100K retention bonus if he is not released by 7/18 or added to the Cubs MLB Reserve List by 7/23.
Eric S 2 days 12 hours ago (view)
There is that re Kimbrel - at worst, just another year on the books.
July 1st is Bobby Bonilla Day - the day that check is cut and paid annually.
Cubster 2 days 12 hours ago (view)
On the bright side regarding Kimbrel. It doesn't have the lasting bad side as the Mets arrangement with Bobby Bonilla. Unless they want to re-negotiate Kimbrel's terms.
Eric S 2 days 13 hours ago (view)
Watching the last night's highlight clip was not encouraging either as discussed here: https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2020/07/08/craig-kimbrels-intrasquad-performance-is-a-reminder-of-the-concerns-that-already-existed/
crunch 2 days 18 hours ago (view)
i still can't believe this front office paid anyone 16m a year to throw 60-70ip...
Eric S 3 days 3 hours ago (view)
Unfortunately, Kimbrel in Cub mid season form as well, giving up a two out, two run oppo homer to Willson.
Kimbrel Cub stats which I tried to bury but were dug up again: gave up a career high 9 home runs in only 20 2/3 inning, averaged a career high 9.1 hits allowed per 9 innings and served up a 6.53 ERA for his troubles. And no full spring training build up period again. Still hopeful he's got something left in the tank this year and next but man, he's got my full attention going into the season
BobbyD 3 days 4 hours ago (view)
Hmm. Never thought about it that way. Maybe it is a very stable genius?
crunch 3 days 6 hours ago (view)
maybe he's hoping it'll be bad enough to flip the population odometer over to 0 after humanity is wiped from the planet. let's give him more time to see if he's right before we get too down on him.
crunch 3 days 6 hours ago (view)
"Shohei Ohtani threw just 15 of his 50 pitches for strikes in an intrasquad game Tuesday. Trent Rush had him at eight walks, a hit by pitch and six wild pitches before he was shut down for a day. "