The Other Baez Helps Cubs Sweep Giants at Fitch Park
Jeffey Baez belted an inside-the-park HR off the CF "Batter's Eye," drilled an RBI single, and walked, Justin Marra hammered a three-run triple, singled, walked, and scored a run, Kevin Encarnacion laced a bases-loaded three-run double, and Yasiel Balaguert blasted a solo HR, as the Cubs swept a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader from the Giants by scores of 6-3 and 10-7 this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Joey Rapp (on an EXST rehab) walloped a two-run HR for the Giants in a losing cause.
In 16 Cactus League Extended Spring Training games (43 PA), Jeffrey Baez is hitting 342/419/684 with a team-leading four HR. The 19-year old right-handed hitting Venezuelan OF signed with the Cubs for a reported $350K bonus in July 2010 as a 16-year old, at the beginning of the 2010 International Signing Period. Baez went hitless in seven PA at Extended Spring Training last season before breaking his wrist diving for a ball in right field, and then was sent back to the Cubs Dominican Academy where he hit 291/378/448 in 48 games (202 PA) for DSL Cubs #1.
In two DSL seasons (2011-12), Baez hit a combined 286/363/424, with 8 HR & 64 RBI, 22 doubles, 60 SB (19 CS), 97 runs scored, and 17 outfield assists (playing all three OF slots, but mainly CF) in 116 games (497 PA). He had a brief six-game trial with the AZL Cubs after the conclusion of the DSL season last August, and was likely ticketed for the AZL Cubs this season. But don't be surprised if the "other" Baez skips the AZL, joining fellow Venezuelan teenaged hot-shot Carlos Penalver on what should be a very interesting Boise Hawks team.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #3:
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 2-3 (HR, BB, 1B, 2-3, R, 2 RBI)
2a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 2-3 (1B, 5-3, 1B)
2b. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-1 (F-9)
3. Yasiel Balaguert, DH #1: 1-4 (F-8, F-8, F-9, HR, R, RBI)
4. Reggie Golden, LF: 1-4 (P-5, F-8, 1B, K)
5. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 0-2 (K, BB, 4-6-3 DP)
6. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-3 (K, K, F-7)
7. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 1-1 (1B, BB, BB, 3 R)
8. Mark Malave, 3B: 2-3 (1B, F-9, 2B, R, RBI)
9. Erick Castillo, C-DH: 2-2 (F-7 SF, 1B, 1B, 2 RBI)
10a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
10b. Frandy de la Rosa, DH-SS: 0-2 (F-9, 6-3)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Erick Leal: 2.1 IP, 6 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 1 PO, 55 pitches (31 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
NOTE: Top of 3rd inning was stopped with one out when Leal reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the game
2. Larry Suarez: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 8 pitches (8 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
3. Loiger Padron: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 2 HBP, 41 pitches (19 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
4. Ethan Elias: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 25 pitches (15 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
P Erick Leal - E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Erick Castillo: 0-2 CS
FITCH PARK FIELD #4:
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 1-3 (K, 2B, F-8, 3 RBI)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-2 (BB, 2B, 6-4-3 DP, R)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-2 (HBP, 6-3, F-9, R)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-3 (1B, 3-U, K, R, RBI)
5. Rony Rodriguez, C: 1-2 (2B, HBP, 5-3, 2 RBI)
6. Xavier Batista, LF-DH: 0-2 (K, F-9, HBP, R)
7. Jose Dore, RF: 0-1 (BB, P-5, BB, 2 R)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, DH-LF: 0-2 (E-5, P-6, BB, 2 R)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 0-2 (K, P-6, BB, R, RBI)
10. Justin Marra, DH #2: 2-2 (BB, 1B, 3B, R, 3 RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Paul Blackburn: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 57 pitches (36 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. Anthony Prieto: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 2 WP, 36 pitches (20 strikes)
3. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 31 pitches (20 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
4. Tyler Bremer: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 39 pitches (26 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. CF Kevin Encarnacion, - E-8 (missed catch allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. C Rony Rodriguez - E-2 (overthrow on SB attempt at 2nd base allowed runner at 3rd base to score)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Rony Rodriguez: 0-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
tim815 32 min 26 sec ago (view)
None are official. The Cubs haven't officially turned in paperwork on anyone.
crunch 2 hours 22 sec ago (view)
back in november the ricketts also formed a corporation to purchase or create an online sports gambling portal.
they're out there spending money. yup.
Cubster 2 hours 55 min ago (view)
God knows, the pitching staff needs more Garlick
tim815 4 hours 10 min ago (view)
The Cubs should claim Kyle Garlick.
Hagsag 4 hours 19 min ago (view)
Joe Ricketts, sell the Cubs.
tim815 4 hours 37 min ago (view)
Finally, someone to give the Green and Libertarian Parties equal footing.
Dolorous Jon Lester 5 hours 13 min ago (view)
I wonder if the investment cost the exact amount we saved by trading Darvish...
Calling oneself Straight Arrow is like someone having to say "you can trust me completely." Pretty clear the opposite is true.
Dolorous Jon Lester 5 hours 15 min ago (view)
Reclamation projects with minimal risk are good in general, but having this guy be currently projected for a rotation spot is laughable.
I would have much preferred to see them sign Foltynewicz in this capacity. Folty was bad last year and the year before but at least its only been two years since he was successful, and he has two years of team control remaining. Miller last put together a good season in 2015.
Cubster 7 hours 27 min ago (view)
Monday Tribune: Conservative Joe Ricketts to launch Omaha-based "unbiased" online news service (called Straight Arrow news).
Yeah, right. Making son Pete look like a liberal.
Laura when hearing the name hysterically laughed out loud.
Sinclair media investing?
crunch 15 hours 57 min ago (view)
875K if he makes the team with 600K in performance bonuses possible.
Dolorous Jon Lester 16 hours 11 min ago (view)
Shelby Miller...? Really?
crunch 23 hours 9 min ago (view)
i like the cubs odds on this one.
Arizona Phil 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
Ian Happ arbitration figures are $4.1M (player) and $3.25M (club) with hearing date TBD.
crunch 2 days 14 hours ago (view)
* all figures stated are in a range of +/- 10m
yeah, that was me not typing info correctly. my bad.
Arizona Phil 2 days 17 hours ago (view)
Bryant got $19.5M