Cubs & Giants Play Even Par at Indian School Park
Jeffrey Baez led-off the game with a home run and then laced an RBI single and stole a base in his next AB, Jesse Hodges belted an RBI triple and scored a run, Gleyber Torres singled twice, knocked-in two runs, and scored another, and Tyler Ihrig fired four innings of shutout ball with five strikeouts and combined with three relievers to help the Cubs whitewash the Giants 6-0 on Field #2, and Craig Massoni drove-in three runs with a two-run double and a sacrifice fly and Carlos Valdez hammered a solo home run, leading the Giants to a 6-1 victory on Field #1, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Slick-fielding AA Tennessee shortstop Elliot Soto (at Extended Spring Training while serving a 50-game Drug of Abuse suspension) reached base four times (three singles and a walk) and stole a base in a losing cause on Field #1.
OF Casper Wells (on AAA Iowa Cubs 7-day DL - back spasms) continued his EXST rehab, playing RF for six innings and getting three Plate Appearances (he was in the clean-up slot in the batting order on Field #2 and he batted only when his spot in the order was due to hit). Wells walked twice and grounded out 6-3.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 2-5 (HR, 1B, 6-3, 6-3, F-8, R, 2 RBI, SB)
2. Zak Blair, 2B: 1-5 (F-7, K, F-7, 1B, P-3)
3. Kevin Brown, LF: 1-5 (3B, F-7, K, 6-3, F-7, R)
4a. Casper Wells, RF: 0-1 (6-3, BB, BB)
4b. Antonio Valerio, C: 0-1 (BB, K)
5a. Tyler Alamo, C: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, 6-3, R)
5b. Arnaldo Calero, RF: 0-1 (6-3)
6. Varonex Cuevas, 2B: 1-3 (1B, BB, E-4, K, R, SB, CS)
7. Gleyber Torres, SS: 2-4 (1B, F-8, 5-2 FC, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
8. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (3B, 6-3, K, F-8, R, RBI)
9. Roney Alcala, 1B: 0-4 (E-5, 4-3, 4-3, F-7)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Tyler Ihrig: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 2/5 GO/FO, 53 pitches (39 strikes)
2. Corbin Hoffner: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 4/0 GO/FO, 22 pitches (16 strikes)
3. Trey Lang: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 2/2 GO/FO, 25 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 0/1 GO/FO, 21 pitches (11 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD"A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 0-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-5 (P-6, 1B, E-6, K, K, SB, PO)
2. Justin Marra, DH: 1-4 (1B, F-9, K, K)
3. Oliver Zapata, LF: 0-4 (K, 4-3, P-2, 3-U)
4. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 0-4 (L-7, 2-3, 3-1, P-6)
5. Rony Rodriguez, 1B: 0-4 (L-6, K, F-7, F-9)
6. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-3 (BB, K, 3-1, E-4, R)
7. Elliot Soto, SS: 3-3 (1B, BB, 1B, 1B, SB)
8. Dalfis Ortiz, 3B: 1-3 (P-3, 1B, 4-6 FC, F-8 SF, RBI)
9. Bryant Flete, 2B: 1-3 (K, 2-U, 1B, BB)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Trevor Clifton: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 2 HBP, 4/0 GO/FO, 49 pitches (29 strikes)
2. Adbert Alzolay: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1/6 GO/FO, 53 pitches (33 strikes)
3. Yomar Morel: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 24 pitches (16 strikes)
4. Carlos Llano: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 13 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
P Adbert Alzolay - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 2nd base alllowed runner to advance to 3rd)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Albert Mineo: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & a bit breezy with temperatures in the 80's
crunch 6 hours 21 min ago (view)
cubs taking full advantage of that "night games deal" with the wrigleyville neighborhood...almost all the home games will be night games.
8 home day games, 6 on the weekend.
crunch 21 hours 22 min ago (view)
deleted that link. it was a republished-to-feed article, not a new one, so it's not very useful.
cubbies.4ever 22 hours 11 min ago (view)
Is Cubs 3rd draft pick Jordan Nwogu not going to sign? Most teams are done signing. Since the Cubs have the other 4 signed there's not a question of negotiations. I thought Little (using his viral video of 105 mph as leverage) or Moreno being a promising HS SP would be the tough ones.
Jackstraw 22 hours 17 min ago (view)
Apparently being run by the same guy who put Quintana in charge of washing dishes.
Cubster 22 hours 41 min ago (view)
Joey Gallo tests Positive.
Cubster 23 hours 5 min ago (view)
4-29-20: White House senior adviser Jared Kushner told "FOX & Friends" Wednesday morning that he expects to see life go "back to normal" in the U.S. by June and "the hope is that by July the country’s really rocking again."
Well, that prediction has held up especially well in FL, TX, AZ and CA
George Altman 23 hours 38 min ago (view)
I'm beginning to think maybe this guy doesn't have a good grasp on being President.
crunch 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
"Angels summer camp workouts are optional on Monday due to COVID-19 testing delays.
The testers simply failed to show up to Angels camp on Sunday, and there were also apparently some shipping issues with samples during the July 4 holiday weekend. The Astros, Nationals, and Cardinals have outright canceled their Monday workouts because of delays within MLB's testing protocol."
neat. this is going just great.
but hey, i'm sure a month from now we'll be done with all this crazy virus stuff going on...as players consider multi-game road trips through FL/TX/AZ/CA.
Arizona Phil 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
With players dropping like flies and others opting-out, methinks the MLB season could resemble the last three innings of a Cactus League Spring Training game.
Cubster 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
Cubs first Wrigley game is vs Brewers per Sun-Times. Full Schedules to come out in an hour.
Cubster 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
Dodger stadium Covid testing site was closed without notice today. Long lines, pissed off people. ClusterF*cked Americans as the virus spreads. Here is the WSCR link that says KB is pissed about the lax testing by MLB.
Cubster 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
Dodger's Stadium is a testing site. Except, you can't just get a test. You have to be symptomatic. Cough, cough...this is really not going well.
Cubster 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
Worrisome. Astros and Nats cancel workouts because of Covid testing delays.
Trumpy: "Anyone who wants a test, can get a test." 3-6-20. Four months ago.
crunch 2 days 1 hour ago (view)
"Yu Darvish threw his new pitch, a two-seam/splitter hybrid, during his first intrasquad game appearance on Saturday.
Darvish, who already had 10 different pitch variations in his arsenal, is calling this new pitch "The Supreme.""
crunch 2 days 2 hours ago (view)
"I've been thinking about it and been thinking about it before we put out that statement," (Terry) Francona said. "I know in the past, when I've been asked about, whether it's our name or the Chief Wahoo, I think I would usually answer and say I know that we're never trying to be disrespectful. And I still feel that way, but I don't think that's a good enough answer today. I think it's time to move forward. It's a very difficult subject. It's also delicate," he said.