Cubs & Giants Play Even Par at Indian School Park
Jeffrey Baez led-off the game with a home run and then laced an RBI single and stole a base in his next AB, Jesse Hodges belted an RBI triple and scored a run, Gleyber Torres singled twice, knocked-in two runs, and scored another, and Tyler Ihrig fired four innings of shutout ball with five strikeouts and combined with three relievers to help the Cubs whitewash the Giants 6-0 on Field #2, and Craig Massoni drove-in three runs with a two-run double and a sacrifice fly and Carlos Valdez hammered a solo home run, leading the Giants to a 6-1 victory on Field #1, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Slick-fielding AA Tennessee shortstop Elliot Soto (at Extended Spring Training while serving a 50-game Drug of Abuse suspension) reached base four times (three singles and a walk) and stole a base in a losing cause on Field #1.
OF Casper Wells (on AAA Iowa Cubs 7-day DL - back spasms) continued his EXST rehab, playing RF for six innings and getting three Plate Appearances (he was in the clean-up slot in the batting order on Field #2 and he batted only when his spot in the order was due to hit). Wells walked twice and grounded out 6-3.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 2-5 (HR, 1B, 6-3, 6-3, F-8, R, 2 RBI, SB)
2. Zak Blair, 2B: 1-5 (F-7, K, F-7, 1B, P-3)
3. Kevin Brown, LF: 1-5 (3B, F-7, K, 6-3, F-7, R)
4a. Casper Wells, RF: 0-1 (6-3, BB, BB)
4b. Antonio Valerio, C: 0-1 (BB, K)
5a. Tyler Alamo, C: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, 6-3, R)
5b. Arnaldo Calero, RF: 0-1 (6-3)
6. Varonex Cuevas, 2B: 1-3 (1B, BB, E-4, K, R, SB, CS)
7. Gleyber Torres, SS: 2-4 (1B, F-8, 5-2 FC, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
8. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (3B, 6-3, K, F-8, R, RBI)
9. Roney Alcala, 1B: 0-4 (E-5, 4-3, 4-3, F-7)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Tyler Ihrig: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 2/5 GO/FO, 53 pitches (39 strikes)
2. Corbin Hoffner: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 4/0 GO/FO, 22 pitches (16 strikes)
3. Trey Lang: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 2/2 GO/FO, 25 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 0/1 GO/FO, 21 pitches (11 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD"A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 0-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-5 (P-6, 1B, E-6, K, K, SB, PO)
2. Justin Marra, DH: 1-4 (1B, F-9, K, K)
3. Oliver Zapata, LF: 0-4 (K, 4-3, P-2, 3-U)
4. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 0-4 (L-7, 2-3, 3-1, P-6)
5. Rony Rodriguez, 1B: 0-4 (L-6, K, F-7, F-9)
6. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-3 (BB, K, 3-1, E-4, R)
7. Elliot Soto, SS: 3-3 (1B, BB, 1B, 1B, SB)
8. Dalfis Ortiz, 3B: 1-3 (P-3, 1B, 4-6 FC, F-8 SF, RBI)
9. Bryant Flete, 2B: 1-3 (K, 2-U, 1B, BB)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Trevor Clifton: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 2 HBP, 4/0 GO/FO, 49 pitches (29 strikes)
2. Adbert Alzolay: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1/6 GO/FO, 53 pitches (33 strikes)
3. Yomar Morel: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 24 pitches (16 strikes)
4. Carlos Llano: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 13 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
P Adbert Alzolay - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 2nd base alllowed runner to advance to 3rd)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Albert Mineo: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & a bit breezy with temperatures in the 80's
crunch 7 min 8 sec ago (view)
schwarber / bryant / rizzo / baez / heyward(CF) / caratini / cargo(RF) / ham / descalso(2nd)
Eric S 1 hour 41 min ago (view)
Kimbrel pitched the 7th inning for the Iowa Cubs today - he threw 8 pitches (6 strikes) to three batters getting a fly out to center, a groundout to third and swinging K. Nice start!
Karl Pagel Blues 3 hours 10 min ago (view)
Thank you, Phil. Have you ever considered doing your own podcast? Your grasp on baseball history is fantastic.
Karl Pagel Blues 3 hours 17 min ago (view)
Thank you, Mike.
Mike Wellman 12 hours 16 min ago (view)
And 71 games in, the C-Cubs & I-Cubs are in a dead heat @ 39-32...
Craig A. 14 hours 51 min ago (view)
Thanks very much, Phil.
Arizona Phil 16 hours 59 min ago (view)
CRAIG A: SS Ernie Banks and 2B Gene Baker arrived on the same day in September 1953, although Banks made his MLB game debut three days before Baker.
crunch 19 hours 2 min ago (view)
i think gene baker was technically the first signed, but ernie banks was the first to suit up and play. baker was injured when ernie made his debut.
JoePepitone 19 hours 6 min ago (view)
He only mentioned his second wife in his autobiography, Mr. Cub. I was surprised to find out from his Wikipedia page that he had been married before Eloyce (wife #2), having read Mr. Cub back in 1971 right after it came out. I guess when you write your autobiography, you get to put in only the parts you want to talk about.
Craig A. 19 hours 54 min ago (view)
Banks was the first African- American Cub wasn’t he? Was there a lot of drama with that?
BobbyD 20 hours 44 min ago (view)
He was a hero to me growing up, and now maybe not so much. Sad and probably (?) better how things have changed. I'm sure in the 60s whatever Addison did would have never bubbled up to us fans... But thanks for the review-so-far!
crunch 21 hours 33 min ago (view)
m.carpenter (STL) just got a stand up double bunting against the shift on a ball that barely got to the lip of the outfield grass.
a little more of that from many more players would be interesting.
crunch 21 hours 55 min ago (view)
another young fan took a foul ball for an injury...off the bat of castro (MIA) @STL
crunch 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
hell of a loss.
killer 9th inning drama all going LA's way. wow.
it says a lot that the packed house in LA was still almost all there through the last pitch of the game.
crunch 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
ESPN...it's all bad, all the time.
BobbyD 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
I'm just glad it worked out for the diarrhea girl and her date. I don't know which is worse, Arod or that fucking commercial 8 times a game.