Cubs & Giants Play Even Par at Indian School Park
Jeffrey Baez led-off the game with a home run and then laced an RBI single and stole a base in his next AB, Jesse Hodges belted an RBI triple and scored a run, Gleyber Torres singled twice, knocked-in two runs, and scored another, and Tyler Ihrig fired four innings of shutout ball with five strikeouts and combined with three relievers to help the Cubs whitewash the Giants 6-0 on Field #2, and Craig Massoni drove-in three runs with a two-run double and a sacrifice fly and Carlos Valdez hammered a solo home run, leading the Giants to a 6-1 victory on Field #1, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Slick-fielding AA Tennessee shortstop Elliot Soto (at Extended Spring Training while serving a 50-game Drug of Abuse suspension) reached base four times (three singles and a walk) and stole a base in a losing cause on Field #1.
OF Casper Wells (on AAA Iowa Cubs 7-day DL - back spasms) continued his EXST rehab, playing RF for six innings and getting three Plate Appearances (he was in the clean-up slot in the batting order on Field #2 and he batted only when his spot in the order was due to hit). Wells walked twice and grounded out 6-3.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 2-5 (HR, 1B, 6-3, 6-3, F-8, R, 2 RBI, SB)
2. Zak Blair, 2B: 1-5 (F-7, K, F-7, 1B, P-3)
3. Kevin Brown, LF: 1-5 (3B, F-7, K, 6-3, F-7, R)
4a. Casper Wells, RF: 0-1 (6-3, BB, BB)
4b. Antonio Valerio, C: 0-1 (BB, K)
5a. Tyler Alamo, C: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, 6-3, R)
5b. Arnaldo Calero, RF: 0-1 (6-3)
6. Varonex Cuevas, 2B: 1-3 (1B, BB, E-4, K, R, SB, CS)
7. Gleyber Torres, SS: 2-4 (1B, F-8, 5-2 FC, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
8. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (3B, 6-3, K, F-8, R, RBI)
9. Roney Alcala, 1B: 0-4 (E-5, 4-3, 4-3, F-7)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Tyler Ihrig: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 2/5 GO/FO, 53 pitches (39 strikes)
2. Corbin Hoffner: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 4/0 GO/FO, 22 pitches (16 strikes)
3. Trey Lang: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 2/2 GO/FO, 25 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 0/1 GO/FO, 21 pitches (11 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD"A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 0-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-5 (P-6, 1B, E-6, K, K, SB, PO)
2. Justin Marra, DH: 1-4 (1B, F-9, K, K)
3. Oliver Zapata, LF: 0-4 (K, 4-3, P-2, 3-U)
4. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 0-4 (L-7, 2-3, 3-1, P-6)
5. Rony Rodriguez, 1B: 0-4 (L-6, K, F-7, F-9)
6. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-3 (BB, K, 3-1, E-4, R)
7. Elliot Soto, SS: 3-3 (1B, BB, 1B, 1B, SB)
8. Dalfis Ortiz, 3B: 1-3 (P-3, 1B, 4-6 FC, F-8 SF, RBI)
9. Bryant Flete, 2B: 1-3 (K, 2-U, 1B, BB)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Trevor Clifton: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 2 HBP, 4/0 GO/FO, 49 pitches (29 strikes)
2. Adbert Alzolay: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1/6 GO/FO, 53 pitches (33 strikes)
3. Yomar Morel: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 24 pitches (16 strikes)
4. Carlos Llano: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 13 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
P Adbert Alzolay - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 2nd base alllowed runner to advance to 3rd)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Albert Mineo: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & a bit breezy with temperatures in the 80's
crunch 16 hours 45 min ago (view)
hell of a loss.
killer 9th inning drama all going LA's way. wow.
it says a lot that the packed house in LA was still almost all there through the last pitch of the game.
crunch 17 hours 10 min ago (view)
ESPN...it's all bad, all the time.
BobbyD 17 hours 14 min ago (view)
I'm just glad it worked out for the diarrhea girl and her date. I don't know which is worse, Arod or that fucking commercial 8 times a game.
crunch 17 hours 20 min ago (view)
sitting in the dugout, it looks like kyle schwarber has an unfortunate touch of matt williams style early onset baldness coming on...or he recently got a way-too-close-on-top haircut.
dude just turned 26 a few months ago.
crunch 18 hours 26 min ago (view)
i dont have ESPN anymore since DirecTV Now raised their prices, so I have to rely on...umm...very legal and very cool ways for my ESPN fix.
Hagsag 18 hours 33 min ago (view)
Pat and Ron, no Aroid for me.
crunch 18 hours 45 min ago (view)
phew...last ESPN sunday cubs game until the williamsport little leage classic game Aug 18 vs PIT.
i really like the LLClassic and i'm stoked the cubs will play this year. i hope it sticks around for a long time.
QuietMan 19 hours 30 min ago (view)
crunch 20 hours 13 min ago (view)
t.barnette and d.hultzen worked today's IOW game. nice to have emerging options...
d.mekkes is continuing to be a future end-game reliever to keep an eye on, too. he's not making many team prospect lists, and he's not blowing anyone away, but he's steady getting it done.
crunch 20 hours 19 min ago (view)
mike trout will be a cub soon enough. woo! if they package both together the cubs might be able to snag griffin canning along with him.
Arizona Phil 23 hours 19 min ago (view)
If Ben Zobrist were to return to baseball sometime in the next few weeks or next couple of months, keep in mind that he does have a minor league option left, so he (like Craig Kimbrel) could consent to an Optional Assignment to the minors to get into playing shape.
Arizona Phil 1 day 21 min ago (view)
As of today (6/16), Daniel Descalso and Brad Brach no longer have Article XX-B "no trade" rights and so they can be traded without restriction.
Arizona Phil 1 day 52 min ago (view)
LF Nelson Maldonado, 3B Grayson Byrd, CF Zac Taylor, INF Jacob Olson, and INF-OF-C Bryce Windham (the five college senior position-player draft picks who officially signed last Tuesday and who have been active in AZL mini-camp for almost a week) should be ready to play in AZL games right from the gitgo.
The sixth college senior position player draft pick signed by the Cubs (LF Darius Hill, who signed officially on Thursday) might not be quite ready on AZL Opening Day.
Arizona Phil 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
Cubs 24th round draft pick 3B Grayson Byrd looks exactly like Justin Turner (at least above the neck). Long red hair and a full red beard. Now if he could only hit like Turner...
Arizona Phil 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
INF-OF Bryce Windham (32nd round pick - Old Dominion) worked out at catcher in "live" BP yesterday, so he could be the 6th Cubs AZL catcher (they really need three on both squads) if they don't add another catcher this week.
Arizona Phil 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
JustSayin': Brendan Sagara is the Mad Scientist who developed & implemented the high-tech Cubs Pitching Lab at the UAPC in Mesa. The Pitching Lab can't turn everybody into Jacob deGrom, but so far it has helped to develop Tyson Miller into a legit MLB SP prospect and bring Danny Hultzen back from the dead.