Cubs & Giants Play Even Par at Indian School Park
Jeffrey Baez led-off the game with a home run and then laced an RBI single and stole a base in his next AB, Jesse Hodges belted an RBI triple and scored a run, Gleyber Torres singled twice, knocked-in two runs, and scored another, and Tyler Ihrig fired four innings of shutout ball with five strikeouts and combined with three relievers to help the Cubs whitewash the Giants 6-0 on Field #2, and Craig Massoni drove-in three runs with a two-run double and a sacrifice fly and Carlos Valdez hammered a solo home run, leading the Giants to a 6-1 victory on Field #1, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Slick-fielding AA Tennessee shortstop Elliot Soto (at Extended Spring Training while serving a 50-game Drug of Abuse suspension) reached base four times (three singles and a walk) and stole a base in a losing cause on Field #1.
OF Casper Wells (on AAA Iowa Cubs 7-day DL - back spasms) continued his EXST rehab, playing RF for six innings and getting three Plate Appearances (he was in the clean-up slot in the batting order on Field #2 and he batted only when his spot in the order was due to hit). Wells walked twice and grounded out 6-3.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 2-5 (HR, 1B, 6-3, 6-3, F-8, R, 2 RBI, SB)
2. Zak Blair, 2B: 1-5 (F-7, K, F-7, 1B, P-3)
3. Kevin Brown, LF: 1-5 (3B, F-7, K, 6-3, F-7, R)
4a. Casper Wells, RF: 0-1 (6-3, BB, BB)
4b. Antonio Valerio, C: 0-1 (BB, K)
5a. Tyler Alamo, C: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, 6-3, R)
5b. Arnaldo Calero, RF: 0-1 (6-3)
6. Varonex Cuevas, 2B: 1-3 (1B, BB, E-4, K, R, SB, CS)
7. Gleyber Torres, SS: 2-4 (1B, F-8, 5-2 FC, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
8. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (3B, 6-3, K, F-8, R, RBI)
9. Roney Alcala, 1B: 0-4 (E-5, 4-3, 4-3, F-7)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Tyler Ihrig: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 2/5 GO/FO, 53 pitches (39 strikes)
2. Corbin Hoffner: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 4/0 GO/FO, 22 pitches (16 strikes)
3. Trey Lang: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 2/2 GO/FO, 25 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 0/1 GO/FO, 21 pitches (11 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD"A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 0-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-5 (P-6, 1B, E-6, K, K, SB, PO)
2. Justin Marra, DH: 1-4 (1B, F-9, K, K)
3. Oliver Zapata, LF: 0-4 (K, 4-3, P-2, 3-U)
4. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 0-4 (L-7, 2-3, 3-1, P-6)
5. Rony Rodriguez, 1B: 0-4 (L-6, K, F-7, F-9)
6. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-3 (BB, K, 3-1, E-4, R)
7. Elliot Soto, SS: 3-3 (1B, BB, 1B, 1B, SB)
8. Dalfis Ortiz, 3B: 1-3 (P-3, 1B, 4-6 FC, F-8 SF, RBI)
9. Bryant Flete, 2B: 1-3 (K, 2-U, 1B, BB)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Trevor Clifton: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 2 HBP, 4/0 GO/FO, 49 pitches (29 strikes)
2. Adbert Alzolay: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1/6 GO/FO, 53 pitches (33 strikes)
3. Yomar Morel: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 24 pitches (16 strikes)
4. Carlos Llano: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 13 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
P Adbert Alzolay - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 2nd base alllowed runner to advance to 3rd)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Albert Mineo: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & a bit breezy with temperatures in the 80's
crunch 24 min 54 sec ago (view)
paul dejong (STL) took out the M in the "BIG MAC LAND" sign @STL with a big HR...lights went out on the letter and everything. epic-ish.
crunch 31 min 38 sec ago (view)
i know bote will be back in a couple weeks, but dude has been hitting damn well since mid-july after having a big june/july slump.
Eric S 37 min 25 sec ago (view)
David Bote sent down to Iowa today prior to Cishek’s activation off the IL tomorrow — nice of the Cubs do their part to help the I-Cubs down the stretch
Cubster 1 hour 29 min ago (view)
And the Brewers are being no hit by Hudson thru 6.
crunch 2 hours 41 min ago (view)
never really considered how that might be cool for people used to seeing those midwest fields as an everyday occurance. in the south-east US you rarely see the vastly massive acerage of farm-against-farm-against-farm-etc...
also, i spent a good amount of time out in corn fields in ames, iowa in my last job. everyone wanted to go work the research fields in hawaii, but we always ended up in iowa.
Sonicwind75 4 hours 18 min ago (view)
Hey, I'm pretty excited about the Field of Dreams game. I grew up on a farm in middle of nowhere Iowa and my brother and I spent a lot of time trying to hit baseballs into a corn field. I'm seriously considering coming back next summer from Texas to go to that game if prices aren't super stupid expensive. Added bonus, I won't have to listen to A-Rod and Mendoza ignorantly discussing corn and no, you don't eat field corn like you would sweet corn.
Dolorous Jon Lester 16 hours 22 min ago (view)
That is truly staggering. Shame on the rest of the Central that we are only one loss behind the pissboys, we should have been buried by now with that kind of stat.
crunch 1 day 28 min ago (view)
...and strop gives up a hit then walks the bases loaded.
...and he closes it out with a K. neat.
this is the 1st cubs road series win since May 17-19 @WAS.
crunch 1 day 36 min ago (view)
strop comes in to get the last out, but it has to be some kinda slow-walk back in a game that wasn't a save situation.
homer, hbp, k, k...looks healthy.
crunch 1 day 44 min ago (view)
welcome back kimbrel.
1st pitch goes about 10 miles outside the park by marte.
crunch 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
one takeaway from this game...a slew of cubs players were fans of Hey Arnold! when they were kids.
crunch 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
woo, a good cubs away game.
crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
heyward / cast / bryant / rizzo / baez / schwarb / caratini / kemp(2nd) / Q
crunch 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
so stoked for the williamsport game.
the increasing amount of off-site games is a bit concerning (middle of nowhere Field of Dreams field, really?), but I love this one. it's played out great so far and giving the kids playing in the LL series some primo seats (hope this continues) is a great touch.
Arizona Phil 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
Craig Kimbrel reinstated from IL, Duane Underwood Jr optioned to Iowa, Mark Zagunis recalled as the "26th man" for tonight's game (special travel required to get to Williamsport so MLB Comissioner permits 26th man for both clubs).
crunch 2 days 1 hour ago (view)