Elliot Soto tripled, singled, walked, and scored a run, and Eloy Jimenez singled twice, scored a run, and drove-in another, leading the Cubs to a 9-5 victory over the Angels in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Diablo Park Field #7 in Tempe, AZ.
Raul Linares reached base four times (RBI triple, two singles, and a walk) for the Angels.
In 18 Cactus League Extended Spring Training games (72 PA), Eloy Jimenez is hitting 221/250/279, with a team-leading nine RBI, plus four doubles and 3/19 BB/K. He has yet to homer in a Cactus League EXST game, although he has in Intrasquad games.
Unlike the other top international prospect signed by the Cubs in 2013 (SS Gleyber Torres), Jimenez has no chance to make the Boise Hawks Opening Day roster, but he does stand a good chance to be in the AZL Cubs Opening Day lineup next month.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1a. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-3 (1-3, 1B, K, R, SB)
1b. Charcer Burks, CF: 0-1 (BB, F-9, R)
2. Zak Blair, 2B: 0-3 (2-3, L-8, BB, BB, K, 2 R, RBI)
3a. Kevin Brown, LF: 0-2 (1-3, E-7)
3b. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 1-2 (BB, 1B, F-7, R, RBI)
4. Eloy Jimenez, DH #1: 2-5 (1B, F-9, 1B, K, K, R, RBI, CS)
5. Rony Rodriguez, 1B: 0-1 (P-2, BB, F-7 SF, BB, R, 2 RBI)
6. Shamil Ubiera, RF: 1-4 (K, F-7, 2B, 4-3, 2 RBI)
7a. Varonex Cuevas, SS: 0-1 (E-9, CS)
7b. Bryant Flete, SS: 0-1 (BB, F-8, HBP)
8. Erick Castillo, C: 0-4 (4-3, P-4, K, K)
9. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-3 (K, BB, E-4, 5-3, R)
10. Elliot Soto, DH #2: 2-3 (L-6, BB, 1B, 3B, R)
1. Trevor Graham: 4.0 IP, 5 H,1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 6 K, 1 WP, 4/1 GO/FO, 68 pitches (45 strikes)
2. Victor Salazar: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 1/3 GO/FO, 48 pitches (22 strikes)
3. Yomar Morel: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 2/6 GO/FO, 51 pitches (34 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
3B Adonis Paula - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Erick Castillo: 1-1 CS, 1 PB
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Shamil Ubiera - runner thrown out 9-4-2 trying to score from 1st base on a double
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90's