Ubiera-Torres Tag-Team Torments A's at Papago Park
Gleyber Torres (three singles, a double, and a walk) and Shamil Ubiera (two singles, a triple, and a walk) combined to reach base nine times, collect six RBI, and score four runs, Tyler Alamo drilled an RBI double and an RBI single, and Jesse Hodges singled, tripled, scored two runs, and drove-in another, as the Cubs outlasted the Athletics 9-7 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning on Field #2 (AKA "Connie Mack Field") at the Papago Baseball Facility in Phoenix, AZ.
In 23 Cactus League EXST games (91 PA), the 17-year old Torres is now hitting 291/378/392, with four doubles and two triples, 8 RBI, 8 runs scored, 9/17 BB/K, two HBP (and he tried to charge the mound on one of them), 2 SB (2 CS) and one PO, and ten errors (seven fielding and three throwing).
After hitting 297/367/446 with 42 doubles, four triples, eight HR, and 97 RBI, 89 runs scored, 27 SB (14 CS), and a 43/83 BB/K in 134 games (569 PA) in the DSL 2012-13, the 21-year old Ubiera is now hitting 328/355/517 with seven doubles, two triples, a 3/5 BB/K, 1 SB (0 CS), 3 GIDP, and a team-leading 12 RBI in 18 Cactus League EXST games (62 PA). He has played all three OF positions for the EXST Cubs, and has commited two errors (both in LF) and he has one outfield assist (while playing RF).
RHRP Kyuji Fujikawa (on the Cubs 60-day DL - 2013 TJS) saw his first Cactus League EXST game action since April 14th (when he walked off the mound at Riverview Park in the middle of an AB after thowing 17 pitches), retiring all three batters he faced (4-3, F-9, P-3) on just 12 pitches. Fujikawa is eligible to be reinstated from the 60-day DL today, but he will require additional rehab work before he is ready to rejoin the Cubs (and that's presuming there are no further setbacks along the way).
Cubs 2013 5th round draft pick RHP Trey Masek (on Kane County 7-day DL) saw his first Cactus League EXST game action of 2014, but he was not as sharp as Fujikawa, surrendering a solo HR to the first batter he faced before walking two of the next three hitters. Masek was unable to complete his inning (21 pitches - only 9 strikes), and was relieved with two outs and a runner on 1st (the other baserunner had already been erased on a CS).
RHP Erick Leal had a terrible outing, allowing six runs (five earned) on four hits and four walks in three innings of work (and the 71 pitches he logged in only 3.0 IP is not a typo). He struck out only one, and that was the last batter he faced.
RHP Trevor Graham was relaxing in a chair, charting the game from behind home plate, when he was called up to Daytona in the middle of the 7th inning. He was driven back to Riverview Park by the Strength & Conditioning coach so that he could catch a plane at Sky Harbor Airport ASAP.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-4 (4-3, P-1, P-5, BB, K, R)
2. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-4 (F-8, K, P-2, BB, 3-U, R)
3. Rony Rodriguez, DH: 1-4 (L-8, P-6, BB, P-3, 1B, R)
4. Shamil Ubiera, LF: 3-4 (BB, 1B, 3B, 1B, K, 2 R, 3 RBI)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 2-5 (1B, L-8, L-4, 3B, K, 2 R, RBI)
6. Gleyber Torres, SS; 4-4 (1B, 1B, BB, 2B, 1B, 2 R, 3 RBI)
7. Tyler Alamo, 1B: 2-5 (2B, L-7 DP, F-9, 1B, 4-3, 2 RBI)
8. Antonio Valerio, C: 1-3 (BB, P-3, 6-3, 1B)
9. Bryant Flete, 2B: 2-3 (BB, 1B, 1B, K, CS)
1. Kyuji Fujikawa: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 12 pitches (8 strikes)
2. Trey Masek: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 0/1 GO/FO, 21 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Michael Heesch: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 3/1 GO/FO, 42 pitches (27 strikes)
4. Erick Leal: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 6 R (5 ER), 4 BB, 1 K, 2/5 GO/FO, 71 pitches (40 strikes)
5. Alberto Diaz: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 4/2 GO/FO, 29 pitches (19 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
2. LF Shamil Ubiera - E-7 (bobble on ground single to LF allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Antonio Valerio; 2-3 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's