Nuts & Tourists Invade Riverview Park
The Asheville Tourists (Colorado Rockies Lo-A affiliate) rode a 13-hit attack that included three doubles, two triples and a home run, to coast past the South Bend Cubs (Lo-A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) 9-5 on Field #5, and the Modesto Nuts (Rockies Hi-A affiliate) cruised to a 6-1 victory over the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Cubs Hi-A affiliate) on Field #6, in Cactus League minor league game action this afternoon at Mesa Cubtown at Riverview Park.
Eloy Jimenez had a fine day for South Bend in a losing cause on Field #5, clouting a solo home run, as well as drilling two singles, drawing a walk, stealing a base, scoring two runs, and collecting two RBI. If Jimenez continues to hit in games the way he has so far, he might find himself the Opening Day RF at South Bend.
Both Gioskar Amaya and Mark Zagunis collected a double, a single, and a walk (Amaya also stole two bases) in the Pelican loss on Field #6.
The Defensive Play of the Day was turned in by South Bend third-baseman Jesse Hodges, who made a diving stop of a hot grounder to his right, quickly got to his feet, and made a pinpoint laser-throw to first to nail the Asheville batter by a half-step. (Hodges would later commit a throwing error on an easy one-hopper where he had plentry of time).
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FIELD # 5
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1a. Charcer Burks, LF: 1-3 (3B, 6-3, 5-3, R)
1b. Shamil Ubiera, LF: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
2. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B-DH: 0-4 (6-3, 4-3, 4-3, K)
3a. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 1-2 (BB, F-9, 2B, R)
3b. Calvin Graves, CF: 0-1 (P-6)
4. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 3-3 (1B, BB, HR, 1B, 2 R, 2 RBI, SB)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (2B, 4-6-3 DP, K, K, 2 RBI)
6a. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 1-2 (2B, HBP, 3-1)
6b. Roney Alcala, 1B: 0-1 (K)
7. Tanner Witt, DH-2B: 1-3 (BB, F-9, 1B, 6-3, R, SB)
8a. Alex Tomasovich, DH #2: 1-3 (F-9, 2B, L-9)
8b. Tyler Alamo, PH: 0-1 (4-3)
9a. Erick Castillo, C: 0-1 (3-U, HBP)
9b. Tyler Pearson, C: 0-1 (BB, L-8)
10a. Ho-Young Son, SS: 0-2 (K, 5-U FC)
10b. Frandy de la Rosa, SS: 0-0 (BB)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Erick Leal: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 1 BALK, 2/3 GO/FO, 37 pitches (27 strikes)
2. Trevor Clifton: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 4 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 49 pitches (24 strikes)
3. Dillon Maples: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2/0 GO/FO, 16 pitches (11 strikes)
4. Corbin Hoffner: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1/1 GO/FO, 21 pitches (13 strikes)
5. James Farris: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 3/1 GO/FO, 24 pitches (20 strikes)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: 1
3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Erick Castillo: 2-5 CS
SOUTH BEND OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Shamil Ubiera - threw out batter-runner 7-4 trying to stretch single into double
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1a. Gioskar Amaya, C: 2-2 (1B, 2B, BB, R, 2 SB)
1b. Justin Marra, C: 1-1 (2B)
2a. Chesny Young, 2B: 1-2 (F-9, 2B, BB, RBI)
2b. Bryant Flete, 2B: 0-0 (BB)
3a. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-3 (K, 6-3, K)
3b. Varonex Cuevas, SS: 0-1 (K)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-4 (K, K, K, 1B) :
5. Mark Zagunis, DH #1: 2-3 (BB, 1B+E7, 2B, 5-4 FC)
6. Jason Vosler, 3B: :1-4 (4-3 DP, F-7, 4-3, 2B)
7. Charlie White, RF: 0-4 (4-3, 1-3, K, L-9)
8. Kevin Encarnacion, LF: 0-3 (5-3, K, 6-3)
9. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (5-3, K, F-8)
10a. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #2: 0-2 (3-U, K)
10b. Roberto Vahlis, PH: 0-1 (6-3)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Paul Blackburn: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 3/3 GO/FO, 39 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Jeremy Null: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 2/5 GO/FO, 49 pitches (32 strikes)
3. Lars Huijer: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 15 pitches (10 strikes)
4. Tanner Griggs: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/0 GO/FO, 4 pitches (3 strikes)
5. Daniel Lewis: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 17 pitches (8 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 1
RF Charlie White - E-9 (fielding error on line-drive single to right allowed batter to take an extra base)
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gioskar Amaya: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with tempratures in the 80's
K Dub 2 hours 6 min ago (view)
PHIL: Sad to hear about Danis Correa. Do you know what his injury is? Any word on Yovanny Cruz's health/availability? As always, thank you for answering our questions.
Arizona Phil 6 hours 45 min ago (view)
AZL Cubs #2 RHSP Willy Cabrera, RHSP Danis Correa, LHRP Riger Fernandez, and LHRP Josh Sawyer to the 60-day Injured List, so they are likely out for year (they won't be eligible to be reinstated until the final week of the AZL season).
crunch 6 hours 51 min ago (view)
...and of course it's eloy that gives the WSox the 9th inning lead.
Charlie 8 hours 5 min ago (view)
Speaking from experience, those can nag.
crunch 8 hours 42 min ago (view)
ham gets 2500 Ks in the top 3rd.
crunch 8 hours 49 min ago (view)
Jordan Bastian @MLBastian
GM Jed Hoyer said Hendricks is dealing with an impingement in his throwing shoulder: "I feel like we got ahead of it. We're not sure how much time he'll miss, but we'll try to take it slow and take the length of the season into account."
crunch 10 hours 12 min ago (view)
schwarber / bryant / rizzo / baez / heyward(CF) / caratini / cargo(RF) / ham / descalso(2nd)
Eric S 11 hours 46 min ago (view)
Kimbrel pitched the 7th inning for the Iowa Cubs today - he threw 8 pitches (6 strikes) to three batters getting a fly out to center, a groundout to third and swinging K. Nice start!
Karl Pagel Blues 13 hours 15 min ago (view)
Thank you, Phil. Have you ever considered doing your own podcast? Your grasp on baseball history is fantastic.
Karl Pagel Blues 13 hours 23 min ago (view)
Thank you, Mike.
Mike Wellman 22 hours 21 min ago (view)
And 71 games in, the C-Cubs & I-Cubs are in a dead heat @ 39-32...
Craig A. 1 day 56 min ago (view)
Thanks very much, Phil.
Arizona Phil 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
CRAIG A: SS Ernie Banks and 2B Gene Baker arrived on the same day in September 1953, although Banks made his MLB game debut three days before Baker.
crunch 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
i think gene baker was technically the first signed, but ernie banks was the first to suit up and play. baker was injured when ernie made his debut.
JoePepitone 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
He only mentioned his second wife in his autobiography, Mr. Cub. I was surprised to find out from his Wikipedia page that he had been married before Eloyce (wife #2), having read Mr. Cub back in 1971 right after it came out. I guess when you write your autobiography, you get to put in only the parts you want to talk about.
Craig A. 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
Banks was the first African- American Cub wasn’t he? Was there a lot of drama with that?