Pelicans Brief South Bend on Way to Succeed in Intrasquad Business
Shawon Dunston Jr stroked an RBI double, reached base on a bunt single, and scored two runs, Trey Martin clubbed an RBI triple, stole two bases, and scored two runs, and Gioskar Amaya reached base three times on two walks and a single, helping the Myrtle Beach Pelicans to an 8-5 victory over the South Bend Cubs in Minor League Camp intrasquad action this morning on Field #6 at Mesa CubTown at Riverview Park.
Frandy de la Rosa roped a triple and an RBI single and scored a run for South Bend in a losing cause.
Four pitchers threw in the game, with two starting pitchers "piggy-backing" for each squad. Of the four, Erick Leal had the worst outing, allowing five runs on eight hits (including two doubles and a triple) and a walk (plus a throwing error and a wild pitch) in just 3.2 IP.
The game was called with one out in the top of the 8th inning.
Here is the abridged box score from the game:
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1. Gioskar Amaya, C: 1-3 (BB, 4-3, 6-3, BB, 1B)
2. Gleyber Torres, SS: 2-4 (1B, 1B, K, 6-4 FC, CS)
3. Chesny Young, 2B: 1-2 (BB, F-7, 2B, F-9 SF, R, RBI)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-4 (K, 1B, P-5, F-7, R)
5. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH: 2-3 (K, 5-3 SH, 2B, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
6. Rashad Crawford, RF: 2-4 (L-7, 1B, P-6, 1B+E1, R, RBI)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 1-4 (E-1, K, 3B, K, 2 R, RBI, 2 SB)
8. Kevin Encarnacion, LF: 1-4 (K, K, 1B, 2-3, RBI, CS)
9. David Bote, 3B: 1-4 (5-3, F-8, E-3, 1B, R)
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1a. Andrew Ely, SS: 0-3 (F-7, K, 6-3)
1b. Ho-Young Son, SS: 0-1 (K)
2. Charcer Burks, LF-CF: 1-4 (1-3, 1B, F-8, F-7, R)
3a. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 1-2 (F-7, 1B+E7, BB, R)
3b. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 1-1 (2B)
4. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 1-4 (P-4, 6-3, 2B, L-6, R, RBI)
5. Jesse Hodges, DH: 1-3 (1B, K+WP, BB, K, R)
6. Tanner Witt, 3B: 1-3 (1B, F-9, F-9 DP)
7. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 2-3 (L-8, 3B, 1B, R, RBI)
8. Justin Marra, 1B: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, L-6, RBI)
9a. Tyler Pearson, C: 0-2 (L-5, F-9)
9b. Jhonny Pereda, C: 0-1 (L-9)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Tyler Skulina: 3.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 3/6 GO/FO, 68 pitches (46 strikes)
2. Jonathan Martinez: 3.2 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1/7 GO/FO, 62 pitches (40 strikes)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Trevor Clifton: 3.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 3/2 GO/FO, 63 pitches (37 strikes)
2. Erick Leal:3.2 IP, 8 H, 6 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 3/5 GO/FO, 58 pitches (38 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 2
1. LF Kevin Encarnacion - E-7 (fielding error on ground single to left allowed batter-runner to advance an extra base)
2. C Gioskar Amaya - E-2 (overthrow at 1st base on K+WP allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: 3
1. P Trevor Clifton - E-1 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Justin Marra - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. P Erick Leal - E-1 (overthrow at 1st base on bunt single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gioskar Amaya; 1 E (see above)
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Tyler Pearson: 2-4 CS, 2 PB
2. Jhonny Pereda: 1 PB
MYRTLE BEACH OUTFIELD ASSIST:
RF Rashad Crawford - threw out baserunner (Kevonte Mitchell) 9-2 trying to score from 3rd base on fly ball to right
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Charlie 44 min 42 sec ago (view)
A GM or owner saying a player "didn't want to sign" or "didn't want to negotiate" should always be read as "we didn't want to pay them."
That said, a GM or owner can always show more finesse by saying, "I hope we can have productive talks this offseason" or something along those lines. Seems like Jed is trying to burn those bridges.
crunch 57 min 40 sec ago (view)
while not known as a clubhouse cancer, there's more than a few stories about his "leadership qualities" lacking or otherwise being a bit of a jerk at points in time. they're mostly rumor, and none of the rumors are awful...
reminded a bit of this justin wilson/rizzo exchange back in 2018...
videographer 1 hour 31 min ago (view)
/With all the player movement in the last week, I wonder if the Cubs are now 85% compliant for vaccinated players. We know Sogard and Rizzo were not vaccinated and I can assume the players taking their place of the 40 man roster are vaccinated. It will be an interesting story going forward when all trade noise settles down.
Dolorous Jon Lester 3 hours 25 min ago (view)
Agreed on every point. I think Jed is trying to create "his" team, a fully separate entity than Theo. Probably targeting 2023 or 2024 to return to actual contention.
He absolutely shouldn't have aired that out. He ends up looking like the bad guy. This is a good way to burn those bridges.
crunch 3 hours 54 min ago (view)
jed shouldn't have aired things out so blatently, even if true.
"I don't know why guys didn't want to sign. I don't know why guys didn't want to even counteroffer, oftentimes. Every one of these guys would say they wanted to stay in Chicago, 'we wanted to be a Cub,' but then we would sit down and do negotiations, that wasn't how they acted."
...dude, no. keep that to yourself.
Dolorous Jon Lester 4 hours 6 min ago (view)
After the feel-good videos and goodbyes, Jed decided to say the players didn't seem to want to negotiate and place blame at their feet. Rizzo responded today, basically saying "wtf man, shut up, that's a lie."
I haven't really blamed Jed for much of this as I feel mgmt forced his hand but this... definitely a misstep Jed. And it also makes me wonder, the next core, if they don't want to sign below market extensions, are we gonna see a similar tear down?
crunch 21 hours 16 min ago (view)
yeah. i think it would have worked better if they weren't local boys. better sell on having a built in "friend" in a new, far away place. still not a bad move for an incentive, though...
Dolorous Jon Lester 22 hours 44 min ago (view)
Was clearly just a signing as an incentive to sign his brother
crunch 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
david can go ahead and not sign with the cubs if he wishes.
there is absolutely nothing about his game that looks like he could even play A-ball. his low-division college game is weak and his summer league wood bat game is abysmal.
Wrigley Rat 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
Grand Canyon University's pitching staff got a big boost with recent Phoenix Alhambra High School ace Daniel Avitia deciding not to sign with the Chicago Cubs and, instead, honoring his letter of intent to the NCAA Division I school."
Mostly, they didn't give me the money I wanted," said Avitia, who was asking for $300,000. "The best position for me is to go to GCU and get in the top rounds (after his junior season)." Avitia said that the Cubs wouldn't go any higher than $125,000 in negotiations.
Eric S 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
Edwin took the L today in team USA's extra inning loss to Japan - should be able to help the Cubs efforts to secure a high draft pick soon.
Arizona Phil 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
Even though the MLB Trade Deadline has passed, Cubs minor leaguers with MLB experience like RHSP Joe Biagini, LHRP Tony Cingrani, RHRP Ryan Meisinger, OF Ian Miller, and RHSP Adrian Sampson can still be traded up until one week prior to the scheduled conclusion of the MLB reegular season, and I would expect each of them to get some interest from contending teams prior to the August 31 midnight post-season roster eligibilty deadline.
cubbies.4ever 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
Still haven't seen/heard if Cubs signed 19th rd Daniel Avitia, the last of the unsigned or declined.
crunch 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
imagine he'll go into indie ball somewhere and hope he doesn't end up like matt harrington.
Sonicwind75 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
So is Kumar going "pro" by taking a KBO contract next season or something like that or does he just work out for a year? Not sure what the rules are for a player in his situation.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
Good. Suck it Mets